Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
Looks like i got hit with 2 inquiries CSR on Sunday & IHG on Tuesday
Well, yeah, if you applied on 2 different days, you would of course get 2 HPs. Or did you mean both apps were on Sat, and Chase didn't do the second Credit check until Tuesday?

I haven't heard of them ever doing that in the past. But all of the past norms are out the window now.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Well, yeah, if you applied on 2 different days, you would of course get 2 HPs. Or did you mean both apps were on Sat, and Chase didn't do the second Credit check until Tuesday?

I haven't heard of them ever doing that in the past. But all of the past norms are out the window now.
yes i did both of them on the same day ...just to avoid a heart break of not getting CSR :-P
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
yes i did both of them on the same day ...just to avoid a heart break of not getting CSR :-P
I have a friend who did the same as you. He applied in branch without Pre-approval and was denied for CSR. I told him to go for one non 5/24 Chase Card to avoid heart break. He decided to go for Marriott Business online and got pending and then auto-approved 6 days later without calling recon. Calling automated line said CSR 7-10 for decision (he received denial letter for 5/24) and MB said 2 weeks and was days later approved.

Two CB s were hit. On Experian, they combined both HP into one, but on Equifax it shows two HP the same day (saw them on his CK smartphone app). So Equifax did 2 same day HP and Experian 1 for 2 requests with exact same info from the bank. But for you having different day HP? that is weird.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: CSP, IHG, United MileagePlus, BA, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, HH
Just got denied

I applied for the CSR last week and got the "we'll let you know" letter yesterday then received the "too many cards in 24 months" letter today. Unless they're counting a Spencer's store card (I applied for a line of credit for an interest free financing deal and didn't even know I was getting a card) I'm only at 4/24. I suspect they're seeing my AU cards. I'll be calling the reconsideration line tomorrow. My feeling is that if I can show that their reason is not valid they should cave in.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I went to my local branch but didn't have any preapproved offers on file for the CSR. I applied online on Friday and got the 7-10 day message. However, I just checked my online account and the CSR is appearing there! I had been checking a few times during the day. For what it's worth, I also received an e-mail early this morning saying that Chase would let me know of their decision within 30 days.

Before the application I was at 4/24.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by carlitos
I have a friend who did the same as you. He applied in branch without Pre-approval and was denied for CSR. I told him to go for one non 5/24 Chase Card to avoid heart break. He decided to go for Marriott Business online and got pending and then auto-approved 6 days later without calling recon. Calling automated line said CSR 7-10 for decision (he received denial letter for 5/24) and MB said 2 weeks and was days later approved.

Two CB s were hit. On Experian, they combined both HP into one, but on Equifax it shows two HP the same day (saw them on his CK smartphone app). So Equifax did 2 same day HP and Experian 1 for 2 requests with exact same info from the bank. But for you having different day HP? that is weird.
probably bcos i did it on a saturday.
let's see if it merges.
But more worried about calling recon for CSR, as all pointers say do not call.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: CSP, IHG, United MileagePlus, BA, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, HH
Denied

Originally Posted by liongate
I applied for the CSR last week and got the "we'll let you know" letter yesterday then received the "too many cards in 24 months" letter today. Unless they're counting a Spencer's store card (I applied for a line of credit for an interest free financing deal and didn't even know I was getting a card) I'm only at 4/24. I suspect they're seeing my AU cards. I'll be calling the reconsideration line tomorrow. My feeling is that if I can show that their reason is not valid they should cave in.
Turns out they are indeed counting the Spencer's card as the 5th card. Rats. I did learn a few things from the conversation, though. The first agent I tried said they did view the AU cards as impacting my credit, even though I am not technically the responsible party on the card. Also, when I asked if they could move some credit from another card they said I hadn't had the cards long enough and that I'd have to have them 9 months before they could do that. I guess I'll have to wait until May when my Amex falls off the 24 month radar. Meanwhile, I'll have my wife apply again (3/24) and see where that goes.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by perkunas
Can one apply for CSR and Ink+ at the same time or is the new conventional wisdom to wait 30 days between apps even if one is biz and one is personal?

Would like to get 'em both ASAP with possibility of buying a home next year.

TIA
Anyone know this info?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:25 pm

Seems there's ways around the 5/24 without private client or a preapproval. I applied and was declined immediately due to being at 7/24 3 of which are just authorized users. I stayed polite but implied if I couldn't get the card I would move my 75k in deposits and would no longer be interested in refinancing my mortgage. I received a personal call from a credit team manager later in the day and was approved for 30k and overnighted a new chase sapphire reserve and received it the next day. Just a little info to add to the codex.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
As recommended, I visited Branch, saw I was preapproved.
At 5/24, but 1 is AU.
Instant approval plus CL of $31K!
Wife and I have CSR! Now spend and burn!
Tried to hook me into CPC. Told me that $250K is a guideline but not a firm requirement.
She was happier than I was when I got approved, she gets a commission. Anyone know how much?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
As recommended, I visited Branch, saw I was preapproved.
At 5/24, but 1 is AU.
Instant approval plus CL of $31K!
Wife and I have CSR! Now spend and burn!
Tried to hook me into CPC. Told me that $250K is a guideline but not a firm requirement.
She was happier than I was when I got approved, she gets a commission. Anyone know how much?
CSR pays $12 according to my banker.

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Sep 22, 2016 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
went crazy on saturday , thought of going all out and applying CSR although m 5/24 and know i might not get it. got the 7-10 day message.
Then thought why to waste a credit hit, lets apply for IHG too :-)
Still waiting no idea whats going on in the background.
Any new leads? Breakthroughs?
Which 7-10 day message did you get?

EVERYONE applying online who does not get auto-approved gets a 7-10 day message. It's the message seen on the computer screen after applying where it states that if you're approved, you'll receive your card in 7-10 days. Unfortunately this has been confused OVER AND OVER AGAIN with the 7-10 day message associated with calling the automated response line.

A 7-10 message received online immediately after applying is in no way indicative of approval or denial PERIOD.
The 7-10 message from the automated response line is the one that has the negative connotation.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
The 7-10 message from the automated response line is the one that has the negative connotation.
And I've gotten that "negative" message from the auto line twice, and then still been approved. We don't even check anymore. DW recently applied for a first time Hyatt card (with eleventy-seven apps in 24 ). We didn't bother to check anything at all. Today the card appeared on her Chase webpage.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adam61
Seems there's ways around the 5/24 without private client or a preapproval. I applied and was declined immediately due to being at 7/24 3 of which are just authorized users. I stayed polite but implied if I couldn't get the card I would move my 75k in deposits and would no longer be interested in refinancing my mortgage. I received a personal call from a credit team manager later in the day and was approved for 30k and overnighted a new chase sapphire reserve and received it the next day. Just a little info to add to the codex.
Thanks, but it's already long been documented in the wiki that AUs can often be removed from your count (at least by supervisors) if that would put you under 5/24.

It's not really "a way around" 5/24, it's just a way of ensuring your 5/24 count is correct (since it shouldn't include AUs, but at first denial it often does).
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:02 pm

So I applied for a Ritz card last night around 3am and the website said 7-10 days. I called the application status line after lunch today and it told me, "2 weeks." I then called up the recon line (888-609-7805) and the rep told me he had, "limited information on it," and, "can't do anything with the app in this state."

Should I call recon again tomorrow? Does this sound like it's being kicked higher up the ladder to approve for extra credit? I'd really prefer to get this card by Tuesday so I can book a large wedding at one of the Ritz properties.

I'm at 3/24 (even though Ritz isn't covered under 5/24), 810 FICO (Bankcard 8 of 790), 2% DTI, and a CPC, in case that might help.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.