Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase dining bonus points - Which merchants qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just received my first Chase Sapphire Preferred card and I'm ready to start spending.

Do all restaurants qualify as dining? In other words, can I earn 2 points per $1 spent at all restaurants? Or are there only certain merchants that qualify?

Thanks for the help!

-Steve
Old May 29, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

Your inquiry probably belongs in the FT/Chase forum, but any establishment that is coded as a dining establishment by Chase should count. I expect you have received -- or will shortly receive -- explanatory brochures that explain the point-earning terms and conditions.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the answer.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk smr310.

As this is specific to Chase that's were this thread is being relocated.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 29, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by smr310
Sorry for the newbie question, but I just received my first Chase Sapphire Preferred card and I'm ready to start spending.

Do all restaurants qualify as dining? In other words, can I earn 2 points per $1 spent at all restaurants? Or are there only certain merchants that qualify?

Thanks for the help!

-Steve
Most restaurants qualify for 2x points, although I'd say around 1 in 10 that I frequent in NYC are mis-categorized by Chase. I've contacted them about it but received an answer that the classifications have to do with the merchant's contracts with the credit card processor itself.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:46 pm

Some places (even establishments that also serve food) code as RESTAURANTS--ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES. IME, these still earn the bonus points on CSP (perhaps since the category is "dining" and not just restaurants), but do not for other cards' Restaurant category bonus (Freedom, Discover, Forward).

Memory is a bit hazy on this so I could be wrong.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:05 pm

Chase is pretty loose about the definition of dining. Everything from a vending machine to even the cafe at my church have shown up with the dining bonus. It all comes down to the MCC (Merchant Category Code) the merchant has established with their credit card processing company. I believe everything in the 5800 series is included by Chase. Could be a few others as well. (http://www.dm.usda.gov/procurement/card/card_x/mcc.pdf)
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:02 am

Chase UR bonus categories

Hi all, I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Ink Cash Business cards. Both can earn double UR points at restaurants, but is there a difference between the 2 cards as to specific type of eating places (fast food, bars, etc.) ? Or do both cards work exactly the same when it comes to eating out ?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:13 am

should be the same.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I eat out a lot and would say I've only had 2 cafes that didn't get bonus points. I usually just call up customer service and they give me the points after answering some questions about the restaurant.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:22 pm

Almost all qualify. The only place that i dont get 2x is boba places...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:15 am

I didn't see a thread on the first two pages regarding dining categories for freedom this Q, but is there a spot to look this up? I went to a comedy club in NYC where they served drinks obviously, but didn't know if it would post as dining since the establishment is a comedy club. Just curious, thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I didn't see a thread on the first two pages regarding dining categories for freedom this Q, but is there a spot to look this up? I went to a comedy club in NYC where they served drinks obviously, but didn't know if it would post as dining since the establishment is a comedy club. Just curious, thanks.
You can't tell without knowing has that exact specific merchant has reported in the past. I don't know if there is a database of such reports somewhere on the web or not.

Some merchants report completely nonsensical categories. A day tour operator (glacier hikes, kayaking, etc) in Seward, Alaska, is categorized as "computer software" for no discernible reason. They blamed it on their credit card processor (when I asked them about it).

Some merchants report annoying but very understandable categories. A restaurant inside a city or county museum may report back as "charitable organizations" or "misc government services" (because that's how the museum reports, and in some cases the restaurant in the museum reports the same as the museum itself).
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:04 pm

I have been getting 5pt/$ on Freedom on all the vending machines that that takes credit card. There are a few times I didn't get restaurant bonus when I bought at the food trucks. I guess it is which ever category they register on their smartphone credit card processing.... maybe on spare time they are a hair dresser or something.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Some places that use square are miscoded, some juice places are coded as general merchandise, some small vendors are just plain wrong, but most should be fine. If you really want to know you can always check at https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.