Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase dining bonus points - Which merchants qualify?

Chase dining bonus points - Which merchants qualify?

Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:58 pm

Grubhub (and delivery.com, Eat24 etc.) were coding as restaurants for me. Have not tried in 2019 though.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by glg
Eataly I'm guessing is grocery. If you've ever gone to one of the newer grocery stores with a hot bar, etc. It's basically dining at a food court these days. But it's all going to count as grocery. Eataly is probably setup the same way because they do have groceries. The fact that I would guess more people are dining at Eataly than shopping vs more shopping than dining at most grocery stores is not necessarily relevant.
Wanted to point out that the bolded is not always true. Our nearby Whole Foods Market properly classifies transactions as grocery if they go through the regular grocery line (even if you are buying from the salad bar or hot deli to consume in-store). But past the cash registers they have a very large seating area where you can eat the food purchased in the store which ALSO has a bar at the other end. If you order food or drinks from that bar, it's properly coded as dining.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Eataly in LA is dependent upon which register you use, the "market registers" upfront code as grocery, the eating venues code as "restaurants" but there are some odd ones like the register at the bread line and the gelato bar that are one or the other and I don't recall which. My solution has been to use the Amex Gold card which is the same bonus on restaurant/grocery. The other thing to do is buy a gift card at a restaurant and use it for the grocery area.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:49 pm
glg

Originally Posted by ehallison
Wanted to point out that the bolded is not always true. Our nearby Whole Foods Market properly classifies transactions as grocery if they go through the regular grocery line (even if you are buying from the salad bar or hot deli to consume in-store). But past the cash registers they have a very large seating area where you can eat the food purchased in the store which ALSO has a bar at the other end. If you order food or drinks from that bar, it's properly coded as dining.
That makes sense. I'm guessing you can also tip on the charge (which you obviously can't with the hot bar/registers)? My local WF has a bar like that too, but I drink elsewhere Mine has a burger/sandwich place that you can either order at the counter/pay at the register *or* order at the bar/get served. Would guess that's true at other "groceraunts" that have bars as well.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by levilevi
Just had a Grubhub charge not earn dining bonus points on CSR... charge on 12/31, posted 1/2 (yesterday) and this morning just showed 1x. Category on chase.com is Food and Drink. Was planning on waiting a few days to see if they credit later (not holding out hope they do, but was a big order for a party, so worth checking into), if not, will send a secure message.
Statement closed, no additional points... so sent SM, they got back within like 10 hours, saying that particular coding was for a "caterer"? Manually gave me the extra 2x to get to 3x... so pretty easy, but odd that Grubhub came up as caterer... the only thing I could see was it was Grubhub <space> RestaurantName in the activity screen as opposed to just "Grubhub" ... maybe individual restaurants have different coding options within grubhub?? I also picked up as opposed to delivery... who knows?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:37 am

CA wineries code as dining?

In general, does anyone have experience with whether or not wineries in Napa and Sonoma Cty code as dining on CSR?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Café vs grocery store

I occasionally go to this bakery for morning coffee and a pastry. My Chase cards, all of Sapphire Freedom Explorer, unfortunately categorizes the store as “Groceries”, so no 2x or 3x points for me there (apparently not even a café, which the bakery primarily does business as). My Amex EveryDay categorizes the store as "GROCERIES/SUNDRIES”, but I still don’t 2x points (not a supermarket). Oddly enough the card that does get 2x is my Citi MileUp card, which categorizes the store as "Merchandise - MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE”. Should I call Chase?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase does not control the merchant's classification. This is done by their acquirer, the company which processes their card transactions. Chase might award you a few bonus points as compensation, but they will not make any permanent change.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Here's something interesting I discovered with the dining bonus. I recently made an online payment with a restaurant for catering services with my CSR. I immediately got a Yelp Cash email, so I initially thought that it used the same merchant account as for in-person transactions and thus would end up with the 3x points. However, when it posted, I noticed I only got 1x despite being in the "food and drinks" category. Could it have still used a different MCC despite Yelp Cash triggering? If not, would I have any success in contacting CS to get the extra points?

BTW, they were using a page hosted on Authorize.net to collect card info if that matters.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tmiw
[...] when it posted, I noticed I only got 1x despite being in the "food and drinks" category. Could it have still used a different MCC despite Yelp Cash triggering? If not, would I have any success in contacting CS to get the extra points?
I don't know anything about Yelp, but there are some "food and drinks" MCCs that do not get 3x. If I recall correctly, "Bakery" is an example of an MCC in "food and drinks" but only pays 1x. Chase was adamant that 1x was the appropriate credit.

Last edited by serpens; May 2, 2020 at 3:46 pm Reason: added a "not" that I had omitted
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
I don't know anything about Yelp, but there are some "food and drinks" MCCs that do get 3x. If I recall correctly, "Bakery" is an example of an MCC in "food and drinks" but only pays 1x. Chase was adamant that 1x was the appropriate credit.
Hmm, might be worth a CS call but not much in the way of attempting to escalate, then. Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
....I immediately got a Yelp Cash email,....
If Yelp Cash is a marketing program that the merchant pays for it tells us nothing about the MCC,
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
If Yelp Cash is a marketing program that the merchant pays for it tells us nothing about the MCC,
Sure, but not getting that email would have been a fairly good indication that a different merchant account and/or MCC was used. As it is, we don't know either way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.