Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase dining bonus points - Which merchants qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase dining bonus points - Which merchants qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:14 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
Chase may give you credit on a few transactions on an exception basis, but they do not control merchant classifications, and this is addressed in their terms:
This is correct.

That said, I feel Chase is blithely abrogating its responsibility to police merchant coding. When complaints come in, Chase should investigate and fix the coding if necessary.

RNE, been burned a few times.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
... Chase is blithely abrogating its responsibility to police merchant coding....
This responsibility lies with the acquirer (the company that processes the merchant's charges), or perhaps with the network (VISA), but not with the card issuer. In some instances the merchant classification is different because the same entity owns another business, and elects to use the same merchant account. I do not know if this is against the network rules.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:59 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
This responsibility lies with the acquirer (the company that processes the merchant's charges), or perhaps with the network (VISA), but not with the card issuer. In some instances the merchant classification is different because the same entity owns another business, and elects to use the same merchant account. I do not know if this is against the network rules.
This is not a matter of technicalities, it's one of good customer relations. Chase may get its information from third parties, but that doesn't excuse customer-facing absurdities. Chase can implement corrections to its systems to override identified errors... like a Thai gas station. Chase's duty is clear.

RNE, wondering if the high-test gasoline has curry powder in it?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Moe's Southwestern Grill catering coded as 1x instead of 3x. In-store purchases at the same location code correctly.

So much for those 3,600 points on a $1200 order : (
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OnceARunner
Moe's Southwestern Grill catering coded as 1x instead of 3x. In-store purchases at the same location code correctly.

So much for those 3,600 points on a $1200 order : (
Does not surprise me at all. A catering service is very different from dining in or even taking out purchase from the physical restaurant. If you picked up the foods from the restaurant and made payment at the restaurant as if you were doing a take out, you would earn the 3x that would be my guess.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RNE
This is not a matter of technicalities, it's one of good customer relations. Chase may get its information from third parties, but that doesn't excuse customer-facing absurdities. Chase can implement corrections to its systems to override identified errors... like a Thai gas station. Chase's duty is clear.

RNE, wondering if the high-test gasoline has curry powder in it?
+1 just had a conversation with Chase. On September of this year, one of the colleagues has adjusted some points (fair enough it was minor at 100 points) I've called representative today and heard the same excuse. Its the merchant's responsibility to their machine, however if the transactions clearly stated (Bakery, Japanese Restaurant) - it wouldn't be difficult to get it adjusted.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
+1 just had a conversation with Chase. On September of this year, one of the colleagues has adjusted some points (fair enough it was minor at 100 points) I've called representative today and heard the same excuse. Its the merchant's responsibility to their machine, however if the transactions clearly stated (Bakery, Japanese Restaurant) - it wouldn't be difficult to get it adjusted.
No, it wouldn’t be difficult but they still won’t do it most of the time. I have had many conversations with the CSRs with no luck.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:50 am
glg

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Apologies if there is already a thread for this, but I didn't find it. I have recently noticed that a lot of restaurants/cafes I've made purchases at didn't code as restaurants and only earned 1x per dollar. I've particularly noticed this a lot when I have used Apple Pay, ordering food thru Postmates, establishments that use the payment processor square, and at grocery stores that have a restaurant or coffee shop and I made a purchase at the restaurant/coffee shop. Any idea if Chase will give me the points if I call or send a secure message? How far back might they be willing to go?

Some examples of places I've had this issue:
Bow Truss Coffee - downtown Chicago
Forty Carrots (the restaurant in Bloomingdales)
Eataly
I know I'm reaching back a little on this one. The first one, the owner is super shady (google the Crain's article on him if you're interested, you probably won't go there again). It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he deliberately has the wrong merchant coding to get lower fees or something. Did the Bloomingdale's restaurant charge as the restaurant or as Bloomingdale's? That one I could see them just using the master Bloomingdale's account for everything, meaning it's all department store, not dining.

Eataly I'm guessing is grocery. If you've ever gone to one of the newer grocery stores with a hot bar, etc. It's basically dining at a food court these days. But it's all going to count as grocery. Eataly is probably setup the same way because they do have groceries. The fact that I would guess more people are dining at Eataly than shopping vs more shopping than dining at most grocery stores is not necessarily relevant.

Last edited by glg; Dec 9, 2017 at 9:03 am Reason: add more for eataly
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:35 pm

I'm new to using food delivery service apps. I used Postmates the other day paying with APPLE PAY however I did not receive a dining bonus for my CSR. Would I have if I paid with a credit card rather than Apple Pay?

The Points Guy reports food delivery apps should count as Chase dining bonus (article dated April 2018), however One Mile at a Time reports it does not (article dated even earlier in Jan. 2018).

What about UberEats, Grubhub, Seamless, Eat24, etc.? TIA
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

The best thing to do is to log into your Chase account and go to Blueprint and see what the transaction is coded as.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I'm new to using food delivery service apps. I used Postmates the other day paying with APPLE PAY however I did not receive a dining bonus for my CSR. Would I have if I paid with a credit card rather than Apple Pay?
Postmates showed up as " Cash, Checks & Misc: Other Expenses " and it does not count as dining when directly charged to CC. I think UberEat may have potential showing up as Travel, but they are not in my area.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Need
Postmates showed up as " Cash, Checks & Misc: Other Expenses " ....
Where are you seeing this? That does not sound like a merchant classification.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
Where are you seeing this? That does not sound like a merchant classification.
This is from my Bank of America Premium Reward credit card. I was debating between using my BoA or my CSR for Postmates but ended up using BoA because I kind of doubting that it will show up as Dining. If I use the BoA card, I still get 2.62% back, but if I use CSR and it is not dining, I only 1 UR point. I checked my other BoA Dining and Travel bonus purchases. Under the same field, if it is Dining, it shows Dining: Dining. If it is under Travel, it shows Travel: Travel. Postmates showed up as "Cash, Checks & Misc: Other Expenses". I think the field is titled "Merchant Category".
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:21 am

A few data points here:
Grub Hub counts as dining and Postmates do not.
robchow likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:16 am

Just had a Grubhub charge not earn dining bonus points on CSR... charge on 12/31, posted 1/2 (yesterday) and this morning just showed 1x. Category on chase.com is Food and Drink. Was planning on waiting a few days to see if they credit later (not holding out hope they do, but was a big order for a party, so worth checking into), if not, will send a secure message.
SuperKirby likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.