Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase dining bonus points - Which merchants qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase dining bonus points - Which merchants qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
It's based on the merchant code. I caught Chase once.

I went to KFC 3 times in 3 months. The 1st and 3rd time they credited 2x but did not on the 2nd time. Agent tried giving me the run-around until she saw and she was shocked.
I did get the credit but it was stupid how much time I wasted for pennies if any.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG, DL Silver, Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1683517-chase-dining-bonus-poin

Does anyone know if food delivery services like Seamless or UberEats would qualify as dining and get 3 points per dollar?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hfnole
Does anyone know if food delivery services like Seamless or UberEats would qualify as dining and get 3 points per dollar?
I don't know about those, but I can confirm that Peach does.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hfnole
This article suggests yes for Seamless:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/2015/03...-next-3-months
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:17 am

UberEats counts as travel, at least for the couple of times I've used it.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:48 am

My recent DoorDash order got 3 pts/dollar.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by drumbum
Most restaurants qualify for 2x points, although I'd say around 1 in 10 that I frequent in NYC are mis-categorized by Chase. I've contacted them about it but received an answer that the classifications have to do with the merchant's contracts with the credit card processor itself.
When the merchant signs up for an account, THEY are the ones that code their business. Chase just processes what they are given.

Travel, Dining, all the same thing. It is based on how the merchant filled out their paperwork.

Originally Posted by mikex163
UberEats counts as travel, at least for the couple of times I've used it.
Which would make sense... and helps explain why some things are not as they seem. When UBER set up their account, they classified themselves as TRAVEL. If they now offer food delivery, or even window washing but use the same account, it will still process as TRAVEL.

Last edited by mia; Sep 29, 2016 at 10:38 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:57 pm

Anyone know if restaurant gift cards count as dining? I assume it has to be purchased directly (in store/online) from the dining place.

Would also like to know if any other dining apps/discount/delivery service count as dining?

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phiota
Anyone know if restaurant gift cards count as dining? I assume it has to be purchased directly (in store/online) from the dining place.

Would also like to know if any other dining apps/discount/delivery service count as dining?

Thanks
It depends on how the merchant register codes.

A gift card bought at the same register where you would pay for a meal is going to code the same way, so if that register would count as a restaurant for a meal then it's going to count for a gift card as well.

Everything is less is less clear, because it's not the same register any more.

Online, beware of sites that are outsourced. For example, many airlines let you buy miles, but at the very last step when you buy them, you're thrown from the airline website to points.com (which actually takes your money and does the miles purchase transaction). So it doesn't coded as an airline purchase usually, but as a points.com purchase. The same sort of thing could happen in other online purchase environments.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:16 pm

Bumping this thread to say orders from delivery.com got me 2X points on my CSP. It coded as dining.

Even better - I didn't order food, but used delivery.com to arrange laundry pickup and delivery from a local laundromat (common in NYC where many of us don't have washers in our apartments).
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
CSR bonus points not properly posting

Apologies if there is already a thread for this, but I didn't find it. I have recently noticed that a lot of restaurants/cafes I've made purchases at didn't code as restaurants and only earned 1x per dollar. I've particularly noticed this a lot when I have used Apple Pay, ordering food thru Postmates, establishments that use the payment processor square, and at grocery stores that have a restaurant or coffee shop and I made a purchase at the restaurant/coffee shop. Any idea if Chase will give me the points if I call or send a secure message? How far back might they be willing to go?

Some examples of places I've had this issue:
Bow Truss Coffee - downtown Chicago
Forty Carrots (the restaurant in Bloomingdales)
Eataly
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase may give you credit on a few transactions on an exception basis, but they do not control merchant classifications, and this is addressed in their terms:

Rewards Categories: Merchants who accept Visa/MasterCard credit cards are assigned a merchant code, which is determined by the merchant or its processor in accordance with Visa/MasterCard procedures based on the kinds of products and services they primarily sell. We group similar merchant codes into categories for purposes of making rewards offers to you. Please note: We make every effort to include all relevant merchant codes in our rewards categories. However, even though a merchant or some of the items that it sells may appear to fit within a rewards category, the merchant may not have a merchant code in that category. When this occurs, purchases with that merchant won't qualify for rewards offers on purchases in that category. Purchases submitted by you, an authorized user, or the merchant through third-party payment accounts, mobile or wireless card readers, online or mobile digital wallets, or similar technology will not qualify in a rewards category if the technology is not set up to process the purchase in that rewards category. For more information about Chase rewards categories, see www.Chase.com/RewardsCategoryFAQs.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Apologies if there is already a thread for this, but I didn't find it. I have recently noticed that a lot of restaurants/cafes I've made purchases at didn't code as restaurants and only earned 1x per dollar. I've particularly noticed this a lot when I have used Apple Pay, ordering food thru Postmates, establishments that use the payment processor square, and at grocery stores that have a restaurant or coffee shop and I made a purchase at the restaurant/coffee shop. Any idea if Chase will give me the points if I call or send a secure message? How far back might they be willing to go?

Some examples of places I've had this issue:
Bow Truss Coffee - downtown Chicago
Forty Carrots (the restaurant in Bloomingdales)
Eataly
It's hit or miss with Chase. When I got my Sapphire Preferred initially, they gave me credit as a courtesy. But after a few months, they stopped doing so and just said that it's the responsibility of the merchant to code it correctly. It has been a year since the last time they gave me points for merchant errors. Last week, I called the Reserve number and they wouldn't give me the points on a Thai restaurant that was coded as a gas station even though it was obvious by the name that it was a restaurant.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
It's hit or miss with Chase. When I got my Sapphire Preferred initially, they gave me credit as a courtesy. But after a few months, they stopped doing so and just said that it's the responsibility of the merchant to code it correctly. It has been a year since the last time they gave me points for merchant errors. Last week, I called the Reserve number and they wouldn't give me the points on a Thai restaurant that was coded as a gas station even though it was obvious by the name that it was a restaurant.
Just make sure in the future to use your Freedom card when gas is a 5x category. That'll teach them. ^
jjmiller69 and levilevi like this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Just make sure in the future to use your Freedom card when gas is a 5x category. That'll teach them. ^
That's my plan. But do you know what's mess up? I checked my Discover card and they coded the Thai restaurant correctly so I got 5% on that transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.