Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by photaco
This seems as good a topic as any to ask:

Which Chase consumer cards provide Primary CDW? Is it only the Sapphire Preferred and MileagePlus Explorer?

Does the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier offer it?
Chase cards with primary CDW:

• Sapphire Reserve
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • United MileagePlus Explorer
  • United MileagePlus Club
  • Ritz-Carlton Rewards
  • Fairmont Visa
  • Ink Plus*
  • United MileagePlus Explorer Business*
  • United MileagePlus Club Business*
  • Marriott Rewards Premier Business*
  • Southwest Premier Business*

*Coverage is primary for business rentals only.

Last edited by ryanmcv; Aug 31, 2016 at 11:49 am Reason: Added Sapphire Reserve
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:03 am

Sapphire Preferred: Primary Car Rental Insurance

Hi all, anyone filed a claim with Chase for the rental car ? Did they cover loss of use charges ?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Yes and yes.

A lady hit me in my rental car. Lady had no insurance. Damage was almost $5k. Chase paid in full.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone done more research on which "selected models of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered" by the Chase car rental CDW?

I recently had Budget give me a BMW 328i (which I think costs about $45,000) in Los Angeles as a full size category rental. Logic would suggest "I was covered," but how do I know?

In Europe, I'm regularly given various Mercedes cars. None of them are fantastically luxurious, but they're often very nice vehicles. It would seem like a good idea to know if there's any issue in coverage.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Has anyone done more research on which "selected models of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered" by the Chase car rental CDW?

I recently had Budget give me a BMW 328i (which I think costs about $45,000) in Los Angeles as a full size category rental. Logic would suggest "I was covered," but how do I know?

In Europe, I'm regularly given various Mercedes cars. None of them are fantastically luxurious, but they're often very nice vehicles. It would seem like a good idea to know if there's any issue in coverage.
Mercedes from rental car companies in Europe are more like your Camry or Altima in US.

BMW series 3 in US should be covered because the value is below 50K.

What are not covered are those in the "luxury" class.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I would say most ordinary rental cars are probably covered, unless you're renting a specialty Maserati or Escalade or Merceeds that might be well optioned and have a high MSRP.
Actually, if taken the sample Description of Coverage as the actual Description of Coverage, luxury cars like Maserati, Escalade, etc. can be covered as well.

The issues are:

1. Where can you rent one?

2. The limit, if needed, may not be adequate.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
I like that the CSP is primary and last time I called to check a car it covered a Mercedes C class. However, if I rent on points I always use the Amex Premium protection.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Mercedes from rental car companies in Europe are more like your Camry or Altima in US.

BMW series 3 in US should be covered because the value is below 50K.

What are not covered are those in the "luxury" class.
Yeah, that would be my logical interpretation as well. I kind of assume that any car a major car rental company would give me for my "full size rental" is covered. I don't think they will give me a $75K car. But what if I'm wrong about that assumption? Given the vagueness of the Chase language, it seems impossible to know.

BTW, the Mercedes I get in Europe are a heck of a lot nicer than Camrys and Altimas. That said, I've gotten some very nice Volvos, too. Since they're not on the potentaially-prohibited list, I guess they're a little safer insurance-wise.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
BTW, the Mercedes I get in Europe are a heck of a lot nicer than Camrys and Altimas. That said, I've gotten some very nice Volvos, too. Since they're not on the potentaially-prohibited list, I guess they're a little safer insurance-wise.
I would call to check.

Audi is not mentioned in the terms and conditions but when I called Chase, they indicated certain models are not covered. A base Cadillac Escalade is under $75k. That is also not covered. For most rentals CSP is fine but on a luxury rental I would go with AMEX Premium Car Rental or give a Chase a call before leaving the lot.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I called CSP a year or two ago before renting in Europe, as I was planning on getting a BMW 535i (and did). It was covered. But if I wanted to rent the BMW M5, for instance... not covered.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
I called CSP a year or two ago before renting in Europe, as I was planning on getting a BMW 535i (and did). It was covered. But if I wanted to rent the BMW M5, for instance... not covered.
This is certainly a problem for me since this mostly happens in Europe, and I'm not usually in a position to make an immediate phone call. It seems like a ridiculous policy: they need a written, publicly-available list.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is certainly a problem for me since this mostly happens in Europe, and I'm not usually in a position to make an immediate phone call. It seems like a ridiculous policy: they need a written, publicly-available list.
You can go by the value of the car - if the value is above the card's coverage benefits, you can safely conclude the car is not covered.

Unless you rent the upper market in Europe, the standard and full size cars should be within the range of the limit of covered value.

For that matter, Citi's Premier would be much better. You are covered as an AU as long as your name is embossed on the card. This applies to Visa and AMEX as well. Used the card with your name embossed on it, whether you are primary holder or AU, you are covered.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can go by the value of the car - if the value is above the card's coverage benefits, you can safely conclude the car is not covered.

Unless you rent the upper market in Europe, the standard and full size cars should be within the range of the limit of covered value.

For that matter, Citi's Premier would be much better. You are covered as an AU as long as your name is embossed on the card. This applies to Visa and AMEX as well. Used the card with your name embossed on it, whether you are primary holder or AU, you are covered.
All credit card CDW coverage applies to AUs who rent vehicles, right?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All credit card CDW coverage applies to AUs who rent vehicles, right?
AFAIK, yes. The card used must have your name embossed on it - this are the words from the Chase benefits rep (a 3rd party company by the way). I also have asked the similar questions from AMEX and Citi.

As an AU on a card, certainly you would have a card with your name embossed on it and that card must be used for the rental in order to gain coverage.

Also you could be the co-driver on the rental car but the car is paid for by the primary cardholder, as long as your name is on the contract as co-driver, the card's coverage also applied. Though I am sure adding a co-driver would jack up the rental cost.

I would also caution you this - if you rent a car from a site where a basic CDW coverage is included to the rental rate, but the country is NOT a mandatory country to have CDW, you would forfeit the credit card coverage because you pay the CDW even though it is part of the rental rate. Note the practice to include the basic CDW in the rental rate is a common practice for UK sites and European sites, but definitely NOT for US sites.

Weigh your options when you try to find a "good deal". I would definitely make sure first if the country is a mandatory country or not. If it is not, I dont want to have any CDW incorporated in the rental rate because it would still leave you on the hook for the "excessive" which generally is a Thousand or more, that your CC would NOT cover.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum

The main problem with Chase's CDW terms is that they don't specify a maximum MSRP. While you should be okay renting a car in one of the standard categories, it does open the possibility of claims being denied if one gets a higher end car without asking for it. Having a maximum MSRP listed in the terms (Diners Club/BMO, possibly other issuers) leaves much less doubt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.