Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: AA Gold
CDW in France with Chase Sapphire Preferred

Hello,

I've been searching on this, and am not 100% sure I have things right, since the situations I've read about differ slightly (business card vs. personal card, different countries), so would appreciate clarity on my situation:

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

I am renting a car in France (pick up in Nice and drop off at Marseille airport).

I would like to avoid any charges at drop off for scratches, dings, etc.

I've found a good deal through the British Airways car rental portal, but all the cars include Collision Damage Waiver, but with a high deductible. I know from previous experience in Italy that the rental counter offers extra insurance that eliminates the deductible, but don't see any option when booking (which is prepaid to get the low price) that allows me to remove the basic CDW.

Will Chase cover the deductible on the basic CDW? That is, if I drop off the car, and they say "you scratched the car, your basic CDW deductible is EUR 2,000 and the damage is only EUR 150, so you have to pay EUR 150" will Chase cover the EUR 150? Or since I rented a car with basic CDW, am I on the hook for the EUR 150?

Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by CheVive
Will Chase cover the deductible on the basic CDW? That is, if I drop off the car, and they say "you scratched the car, your basic CDW deductible is EUR 2,000 and the damage is only EUR 150, so you have to pay EUR 150" will Chase cover the EUR 150? Or since I rented a car with basic CDW, am I on the hook for the EUR 150?
I don't think Chase coverage kicks in if you have CDW on the rental, except in those rare countries where CDW is mandatory by law (France is not one of those countries).
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello,

I've been searching on this, and am not 100% sure I have things right, since the situations I've read about differ slightly (business card vs. personal card, different countries), so would appreciate clarity on my situation:

I am renting a car in France (pick up in Nice and drop off at Marseille airport).

I've found a good deal through the British Airways car rental portal, but all the cars include Collision Damage Waiver, but with a high deductible. I know from previous experience in Italy that the rental counter offers extra insurance that eliminates the deductible, but don't see any option when booking (which is prepaid to get the low price) that allows me to remove the basic CDW.

NO.

This is because France does not have government required mandatory basic CDW coverage. Italy has that. Therefore Chase would cover the "excess" incurred in Italy, but not in France. The conditions of rental are different. You cannot equate one country to another without knowing how each country's rental car regulations are.

So you may need to buy down the excess to provide more coverage because the $2000 would be completely on your own.

How do the languages on the reservation indicate? Does it specifically say basic CDW is included in the rate or without any mentioning (so it is not obvious that there is a basic coverage) ?

Last edited by Happy; Aug 20, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Just found this wiki as I have been renting cars with my Sapphire Reserve for years now. Luckily nothing has happened yet, but in reading the Wiki, I am a resident of Texas, and I often rent in another part of Texas. Does this mean I don't have primary coverage through my CSR card? What about when I rent out of state? There's nothing about this in the card agreement. I guess that's why Dollar employee (in Texas) wanted to know who my car insurance was and said my credit card was for only secondary. Guess I was wrong.

Also I just realized, that CDW doesn't involve pickup trucks as stated in the CSR agreement. My last two rentals have been pickup trucks, not by my choice. I'd rather have a nice sedan or something more fuel efficient. But they said that's all they had available. Anyone have problems making a claim against a pickup truck?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by saxman66
Just found this wiki as I have been renting cars with my Sapphire Reserve for years now. Luckily nothing has happened yet, but in reading the Wiki, I am a resident of Texas, and I often rent in another part of Texas. Does this mean I don't have primary coverage through my CSR card? What about when I rent out of state? There's nothing about this in the card agreement. I guess that's why Dollar employee (in Texas) wanted to know who my car insurance was and said my credit card was for only secondary. Guess I was wrong.

Also I just realized, that CDW doesn't involve pickup trucks as stated in the CSR agreement. My last two rentals have been pickup trucks, not by my choice. I'd rather have a nice sedan or something more fuel efficient. But they said that's all they had available. Anyone have problems making a claim against a pickup truck?
The card insurance is only for damage to the rental car. It doesn't cover damage to the other car or any e.g. medical bills.

Some states mandate liability insurance be included in the rental, but Texas doesn't. If you don't have personal car insurance that covers it, you'll need to buy it from the rental company.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by saxman66

I would follow up with Chase's insurance provider. I was originally told by Chase's insurance administrator -- which is NOT the insurance company -- that the Chase "primary" coverage was only secondary coverage for residents of NY and the other handful of states identified at the head of this thread. I filed a complaint with the federal agency that regulates banks/credit cards, and was subsequently contacted by a representative of the actual insurance company in Virginia; the insurance rep informed me that Chase's insurance administrator got it wrong, and that NY residents do indeed get primary coverage. I'm not sure if that's also true for residents of Texas and the other listed states.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 28, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
I would follow up with Chase's insurance provider. I was originally told by Chase's insurance administrator -- which is NOT the insurance company -- that the Chase "primary" coverage was only secondary coverage for residents of NY and the other handful of states identified at the head of this thread. I filed a complaint with the federal agency that regulates banks/credit cards, and was subsequently contacted by a representative of the actual insurance company in Virginia; the insurance rep informed me that Chase's insurance administrator got it wrong, and that NY residents do indeed get primary coverage. I'm not sure if that's also true residents of Texas and the other listed states.
I think the info about it being secondary for residents of some states may be outdated or based on a misinterpretation of something as I can't find that information anywhere else and the benefits guide (at least for CSR, can't speak to other Chase cards) says straight out that the coverage is primary, with no qualifications or exclusions. Also I'm a NY resident and got primary coverage when I had an issue in 2018.

Does anybody have a source for this rule? If not, I'd suggest deleting it from the wiki. But if there is a source, I hope someone will share it, as it would be a a pretty significant thing for Chase to entirely omit from the benefits guide.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:02 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe the source is the phone call reported in THIS post.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
I would follow up with Chase's insurance provider. I was originally told by Chase's insurance administrator -- which is NOT the insurance company -- that the Chase "primary" coverage was only secondary coverage for residents of NY and the other handful of states identified at the head of this thread. I filed a complaint with the federal agency that regulates banks/credit cards, and was subsequently contacted by a representative of the actual insurance company in Virginia; the insurance rep informed me that Chase's insurance administrator got it wrong, and that NY residents do indeed get primary coverage. I'm not sure if that's also true residents of Texas and the other listed states.
Originally Posted by themicah
I think the info about it being secondary for residents of some states may be outdated or based on a misinterpretation of something as I can't find that information anywhere else and the benefits guide (at least for CSR, can't speak to other Chase cards) says straight out that the coverage is primary, with no qualifications or exclusions. Also I'm a NY resident and got primary coverage when I had an issue in 2018.

Does anybody have a source for this rule? If not, I'd suggest deleting it from the wiki. But if there is a source, I hope someone will share it, as it would be a a pretty significant thing for Chase to entirely omit from the benefits guide.
Adding a DP that I got primary coverage as a NY resident renting a car out west. No questions were asked about personal insurance.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hello,

In my personal experience Chase' insurance for the CSR will cover whatever deductible you have in your contract.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I believe the source is the phone call reported in THIS post.
Correct.
​​​​
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:46 pm

Thanks @guv1976 and @mia. Very curious what you learn from the CFPB about those other states.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah
Thanks @guv1976 and @mia. Very curious what you learn from the CFPB about those other states.
Unfortunately, I never inquired of Chase or their insurance provider about the applicability of primary coverage in those other states. The CFPB can't answer that question; they can only process a complaint for misleading/deceptive advertising -- which was the nature of my beef against Chase when I thought that New Yorkers did not receive primary LDW.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
In my personal experience Chase' insurance for the CSR will cover whatever deductible you have in your contract.
In the situation where the car is rented in a country that the basic CDW not mandatory by the government?

How is the rental rate listed on the RA - with the basic CDW included in the rate but never a separate line item? In that case I would tend to agree with you that the excess may be covered.

But if the basic CDW is shown as a separate line item, I am not comfortable to assume Chase would cover it.

That is the reason why I ask the poster - how the basic CDW is shown on his reservation. That might be a key part.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Chase UA MP Credit Card - CDW for Luxury Cars Exclusions

I hope this is the right place. Renting a car in Germany with Hertz and of course they will give me a Mercedes!

The United MP Credit card has primary CDW but has exclusions for luxury cars. The website mentions mercedes as a "possible" exclusion.

When I call Chase they said my Mercedes (A-class) *is* covered because its in "their system" but I can't access it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to cover my ... on this or should I just get another car ...

The Hertz Booking says: "Your VehicleCompact Elite, 4-5 Door, Automatic, Air Group M5 DDAR(M5) Mercedes A Class Aut. - GPS or similar"
And the agent said "Eligible classes: A, B, C (excluding C63 AMG or CLK or CLS or CL)" but again you and I can't see this information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.