Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
The official answer is call the benefits administrator and ask (that's what the benefits guide says to do). The unofficial answer is:

You have to "Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit." You can put down a deposit but you have to use the same card for deposit, at the counter, and upon returning the car.
Good for you to point this out.

I would also remind people to make sure you ALWAYS pay with the SAME card you plan to use for CDW coverage even just a few bucks needed at return.

Read from the comment section on a CSR coverage of hail storm damage in Australia published on Frequent Miler site, a guy said at return he needed to pay a few extra bucks on his prepaid rental, he was very glad he paid it with the same card despite he thought about to pay cash. Later it turned out there were some minor damages he had to file claim. The eClaims examiner told him that the Total Amount charged on his eligible card MUST MATCH the Total Amount on the Rental Agreement. Luckily this guy paid it with the same card, so he could provide 2 billing statements which the 2 amounts added up to match the Total of the RA. Without that, the claim would be denied.

Yes, it is IMPERATIVE you need to pay 100% with the SAME Card you rely upon for the CDW coverage.
EqualOpp likes this.

Last edited by mia; Sep 16, 2018 at 8:06 pm Reason: formatting
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by thesun
Would love to get an opinion on if I have a chance at getting a successful appeal on this one - the card is the Sapphire Reserve -

I rented a car with Avis and did not see any damage to the vehicle upon return. It was after hours so I did key dropoff. Got a receipt via email as usual, no issues. Got a "courtesy" call later from the rental office saying there might be some damage, no details, they would provide details later. I heard nothing, figured it was some sort of mistake - usually whenever there's any sort of damage my experience has been that they get right on it. Pretty much forgot about it after a week. 71 days later, I get a letter from the Avis franchisee about the damage. I submitted a claim with eclaimsline, was rejected due to beyond 60 days. I requested a reconsideration based upon the date they formally notified me of the damage, 71 days later. I'm guessing my chances are pretty slim. I gave "Card Benefit Services" a call, the customer service rep stuck pretty hard to the 60 days, says I should have just filed something at the time.
Not exactly the same, and it's been a couple of years, but I had a damage claim in the USVI and filed a claim right away. However, the rental agency waited over a year to send me the bill for damages, and the policy required that all of the paperwork be submitted within a year. They waived the one year time limit when I explained what happened. Good luck.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:38 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Well it looks like I will be doing my first CDW claim shortly. In South Africa now and a tiny rock popped out of a truck's tire and cracked the windshield - a good 6in crack. I assume that they will notice it.
From what I read here, I should take as many photos as possible (and send 2 or so including one with the plate in it), and argue with the counter to get me an accident report and itemized list on the spot (so I don't need to wait for weeks or months to get it from them later on). It's a windshield so I assume that they already got a price list.
And then I can just send them a screenshot of the chase card that it was charged to, the rental agreement, the accident report, the itemized bill. That should be it. I checked the agreement and everything was declined. (funny enough their super cdw doesn't cover glass or tires and their glass coverage only covers some 350$. It's basically worthless).
Anything else that I am missing?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:32 pm

Anybody have experience with Card Benefit Services and a rental company deadlocking over diminution/diminished value?

We banged up a Hertz car over the summer in Florida. I promptly submitted everything to eclaimsline and the idiots at Card Benefit Services initially sent me an e-mail saying they'd approved my claim--for about half of Hertz's demand. When I called to ask what was going on, they said it was a mistake, and that they would negotiate directly with Hertz, and that I shouldn't owe anything. A few hours later I got another e-mail saying they'd sent a release to Hertz to confirm the negotiation and settle the claim.

But apparently the idiots at Card Benefit Services screwed up again, because today I heard from Hertz that while Hertz received and signed a release for the full amount of the demand, Card Benefits Services decided that the release was also a mistake, and they are actually only willing to pay Hertz about 2/3 of the demand.

I called Card Benefit Services again, and they say the issue is diminished value. I thought Hertz's demand was quite reasonable in light of the damage (Hertz gets great rates on parts and labor based on the repair bill they included with their demand), but about 1/4 of the overall demand was for diminution of value, and Chase says they won't pay it. I've checked and diminished value is a valid claim in Florida (not so in every state), and Chase's terms do in fact exclude it. Card Benefit Services says it doesn't matter how reasonable the rest of the claim was, they won't pay a dime for diminished value.

Hertz initially said that the deal with Card Benefit Services was off altogether and they were demanding the full amount from me. When I pushed back they said they would sign Chase's reduced release if I'll first pay the difference between that and the full claim (minus a small "customer service" discount).

Before I get my personal insurance involved (because isn't the whole point of primary coverage from Chase supposed to be that I don't have to get my personal insurance involved?!), has anybody dealt with this before?

I also find it bizarre that if Hertz would have declared the car a total loss, Chase would have paid the whole thing (I know this to be true as a family member had a Hertz car stolen a couple years ago and Chase took care of the whole thing), but because Hertz fixed it for a very reasonable price, Chase refuses to pay the diminished value.

Last edited by themicah; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:53 pm

Anyone has experience using Chase CDW when using certificate for rental in US?

I have 1 Alamo certificate of $50. The certificate is applied in the form of a coupon code and contact ID. If I use the certificate for the rental and pay the rest of using CSP. Am I still eligible to use chase CDW if there is any accident?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:14 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Sapphire Reserve Car Insurance isn't That Great. Or is. Experiences?

And so I heard that Sapphire Reserve car insurance is the best in the market. I had my first accident involving a car rental in 20 years and was surprised to discover that the benefits company they employ (Card Benefits) is pretty lousy. I had a minor damage to a bumper when I was in Hawaii. I just backed into a rock, so no one else was involved in the accident. A straightforward case. Yet, Car Benefits decided to pay much less than they were billed. They refuse to pay what it cost to ship an item to HI. They refuse to pay the loss of usage beyond one day. When I had a minor accident twenty years, some low-level credit card I had at the time paid for everything. And here’s Reserve, praised by many, but in reality, at least for me, a mediocre service. Anyone had positive experience with their car rental insurance? I need to decide whether to renew the card.

Last edited by a7m; Nov 19, 2018 at 9:25 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:39 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by themicah
Anybody have experience with Card Benefit Services and a rental company deadlocking over diminution/diminished value?
I'm going through the same right now (and my comment above was moved to this thread). Card Benefit in my case decided to pay less than they were billed. I have to pay the $400 difference, but I am waiting to hear from Card Benefits first. What annoys me most about that company is that they didn't even tell me about this. Communicating with them is not easy.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:56 pm

As noted above, my family member whose Hertz rental was stolen had the whole thing covered by Chase without any issue whatsoever a couple years ago. It was pretty awesome.

But I'm still trying to get my issue with Hertz and Card Benefit Services resolved. Note that with Hertz, there IS some room for negotiation. But they'll only go so far (I've managed to narrow the CBS/Hertz bid/ask spread from an initial 30% to under 5% of the total claim).

It seems you're much better off totaling your rental or having it stolen than having it merely damaged. If it's totaled or stolen, CBS can't refuse to pay diminished value or Hawaiian shipping costs. Stupid incentive system.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
A local car rental company in Greece will only quote rental prices including their CDW, which comes with a deductible of 500 euros. They have a good reputation, and their prices are lower than the international companies', even though the big guys don't include CDW unless you pay extra for it.

My question is, if I use my CSR and decline any additional CDW coverage from the agency, will Chase cover the deductible in the event of damage? The benefits guide says "call the benefit administrator for help," which I'll do, but I'm also interested in people's actual experiences with this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snic
A local car rental company in Greece will only quote rental prices including their CDW, which comes with a deductible of 500 euros. They have a good reputation, and their prices are lower than the international companies', even though the big guys don't include CDW unless you pay extra for it.

My question is, if I use my CSR and decline any additional CDW coverage from the agency, will Chase cover the deductible in the event of damage? The benefits guide says "call the benefit administrator for help," which I'll do, but I'm also interested in people's actual experiences with this.
No, in theory.
Only the government mandated CDW included in the rental rate would be considered acceptable and Chase benefit would cover the deductible commonly known in other parts of the world as "Excess".
Greece is not such a country as evidenced by big international names do not incl it in the rate but an extra item.

The other thing is, how do you enforce the deductible is only 500 euro if your damage is large or worse, you total your car? 500 euro do not go very far when it comes to car damages.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:59 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve not covering entire rental car damage?

I rented a car from Hertz in Seattle a couple of months ago. Assuming I'd have full rental coverage when paying in entirety with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, I declined all coverage officered by Hertz. While parked in a lot, the back window got smashed in (as did windows of other neighboring cars) in an attempt to loot the contents of the car.

As expected, Hertz sent me an invoice for the damages. I filed a claim with Chase and provided them the requested information. All seemed well, except Hertz just contacted me a couple of days ago saying that Chase was not willing to cover the "Diminution in value" line item that Hertz included in the damage assessment (the DOV was about $136).

I contacted Chase and they confirmed that they would only cover the cost of the repairs and not the diminution in value. Now, Hertz is demanding that I pay the amount that Chase will not cover. I thought that with a premium card product like the Sapphire Reserve, I'd have nothing to worry about when it comes to car rental converge?

Do I have any recourse in this? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
For starters, I'd ask Hertz how replacing a car's broken window diminishes the car's value.

You can check the details of the Chase coverage, but if it does not cover diminution of value then it does not cover diminution of value.
Happy and Diplomatico like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:29 pm

I'd ask them to document how they calculated that value at least. Also, "Diminished Value" Charges
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:38 pm

The Chase terms specifically exclude diminution of value/diminished value. Chase WILL pay "loss of use" (with appropriate backup) and some administrative fees that Hertz and others charge in connection with rental car damage, but they will not pay a penny of diminished value.

At least some personal auto policies (like my NY-issued Travelers policy) won't pay diminished value for rental cars, either. They'll pay diminished value claims to third parties if I crash into a third party's car, but they take the position that a rental car is "my" car so they won't pay diminished value to Hertz if I'm the one driving the Hertz car. FWIW, my Travelers policy also won't pay "loss of use" for rental cars, and Chase at least covers that.

This sucks in states where diminished value claims are allowed (not all states allow them) because Hertz can demand diminished value from you even if you have multiple layers of insurance. Hertz will negotiate, though. And I agree with guv1976 that you should demand an explanation of how replacing a window diminishes the car's value (I'm pretty sure a smashed window won't show up on a Carfax report like a documented crash). When I got hit with a diminished value claim (for much more significant damage) I demanded backup explaining how they calculated the number, and they refused to give me anything remotely meaningful (unlike loss of use, where they provided vehicle utilization logs and average rental revenues and whatnot). I'm still going back and forth with them about it months after they sent me the claim notice.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hello,

I am exploring the option of using my Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card (MPE) for CDW coverage of a rental car in Iceland.

MPE talks of reimbursement up to "actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured" instead of a dollar limit. On surface this sounded better than the typical dollar limit of, say, $50,000 that's on my Costco Visa, since I wouldn't have to figure out what a given car costs in Iceland. However, upon reflection, I guess I need to figure out what a consumer is liable for in Iceland in case he/she totally wrecks a rental car. Is it the present ("blue book") value of the depreciated car? Or, the original cost? Or, what the car would cost to buy TODAY?

Was wondering if anyone has experience with such a scenario. Any insights/opinion or mention of relevant literature on this particular issue would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: MPE does qualify that ACV language with the types of vehicles that are excluded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.