Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
I would think you'd be okay if you can get the Benefits Administrator to send you a letter stating that the CDW is valid in the country you're visiting within a few weeks before leaving. (In fact, Irish car rental companies seem to want this to be willing to waive CDW at all from what I've read.) If you run into problems filing a claim later on, you can always send the letter you received along with the other required documents.
Chase is very willing to issue a letter regarding the coverage.

Regarding countries where mandatory CDW is required by laws, Chase covers the excess. We had one such claim at Italy, at Sicily to be exact. I have posted the details last year - it was 7 calendar days from time to file the claim with eClaims online to the money ACHed to our bank account. We even got reimbursed a little bit more because in the Repair Cost Estimate there were some airport surcharge added - this item is NOT covered, per the T&Cs.

At the time of picking up the car, Budget counter rep asked whether we would buy extra coverage to lower the excess which was $1000 euro before taxes. We said no because the CC would cover it. He then said, you understood that you would need to pay this first then you claimed it back from your credit card? We answered it affirmative. No more conversation on additional coverage topic.

I also dont think in countries where the basic CDW is required by laws you could decline the basic coverage. You can definitely decline the push to buy down the excess. What the tactics some rental companies employed were to scare you on how high the excess would be, like up to the value of the car that kind of things, or tens of thousands of $. This type of practice seems to be more prevailing with the non-worldwide chain, i.e. their names you never know about until you search car rental in that particular country. Worldwide companies like Avis/Budget/Hertz/National/Enterprise, tend not to use such tactics even at franchisee locations. Sixt is an exception that one needs to be really careful about due to many of the basic items they do not cover, without paying additional fee. Read too many bad stories about Sixt we purposely avoid dealing with them.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by tmiw
I would think you'd be okay if you can get the Benefits Administrator to send you a letter stating that the CDW is valid in the country you're visiting within a few weeks before leaving. (In fact, Irish car rental companies seem to want this to be willing to waive CDW at all from what I've read.) If you run into problems filing a claim later on, you can always send the letter you received along with the other required documents.
You need to personally try this with Chase --- doesn't work.

Chase Benfits Administartor ONLY has a Letter advising coverage is where applicable and that Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Jamaica, and Israel are NOW included. This is added since teh basic VISA car rental is secondary and excludes those 4 countries.

Bottom line --- CHASE will not make list of additional countries who will force you to purchase extra car rental coverage which not only costs the card hold a higher rental but denies Chase rental primary coverage. So ---- try and geta list from Chase......Chubb INC will NOT make a list although they know majority of countries just like AMEX knows and lists.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:29 pm

I personally have used it successfully twice. Once in Canada during a ski trip we got a broken windshield. The second time was in Cabo San Lucas, someone hit the car while parked, no idea who did it.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sleepy3192
I'll be going to New Zealand where they require basic insurance on the vehicle. From reading the above comments, it seems like Chase will help me pay for the excess (deductible) if I do get in an accident. Question I have is liability as the chase coverage is only for damages to my vehicle but not other vehicles. In New Zealand, the medical costs will be covered by ACC. But I do want to know if the basic insurance liability will cover the other parties vehicle? In the event that the basic insurance isn't enough, it'll be out of pocket on my end?
That's interesting. I rented from Hertz in NZ and their basic cover includes NZD 10 million of liability for both injury and property damage, but I don't see something similar from Enterprise. Normally that kind of cover is only offered if part of the law.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by euromannn
Bottom line --- CHASE will not make list of additional countries who will force you to purchase extra car rental coverage which not only costs the card hold a higher rental but denies Chase rental primary coverage. So ---- try and geta list from Chase......Chubb INC will NOT make a list although they know majority of countries just like AMEX knows and lists.
I mean, Happy in post #375 provided a DP already where Chase covered the excess for a claim in a country with mandatory CDW. Of course, buying additional coverage for the excess is still optional and will preclude you from Chase's coverage if you opt-in.

Anyway, it's ultimately going to come down to your risk tolerance. If you don't think that Chase is going to come through for you in the event that you need to file a claim, perhaps buying full cover would be the best thing to do.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by findark
That's interesting. I rented from Hertz in NZ and their basic cover includes NZD 10 million of liability for both injury and property damage, but I don't see something similar from Enterprise. Normally that kind of cover is only offered if part of the law.
That explains why their rentals are so expensive in NZ
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I noticed in the 11/01/2019 (current) benefits guides, language was changed to indicate that pickup trucks are covered. Previously, I interpreted pick ups not be covered as "vehicles with open cargo beds" and "trucks" were not covered.

I called late last year to inquire about several vehicles and was told pickup trucks were.covered but I was skeptical (as was another posted in a Hertz thread where I mentioned it) as the Benefits guide available at the time (the Oct 2018 one) seemed to exclude pickups
I noticed the new language specifically mention pickups being covered. The bolded parts are new (including the two new sections concerning pickup beds):

The following relevant sections are new:

What Vehicles Are Not Covered?
Certain vehicles are not covered by this benefit, including: antique
cars (cars over twenty (20) years old or that have not been
manufactured for ten (10) years or more), cargo vans, vehicles
with open cargo beds, trucks, (other than pick-ups), motorcycles,
mopeds, motorbikes, limousines, and recreational vehicles and
passenger vans with seating for more than nine (9) people,
including the driver (passenger vans with seating for nine (9) or
less, including the driver, are covered).

Damage to the interior bed of a pick-up truck unless such
damage is caused by or the result of a covered loss, such as
theft or collision
• Damage to a pick-up truck that is a result of loading or
unloading objects into the bed
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:53 pm

has anyoone had a tesla model 3 covered under chase's policy?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Chase Sapphire primary car insurance refused?

Yesterday I rented a car at a neighborhood Enterprise location and used my Sapphire card. When I refused their insurance and said that my card provides primary insurance, the lady asked if I also have normal car insurance because they 'don't accept credit card insurance'. Can they actually do that?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by srodr
Yesterday I rented a car at a neighborhood Enterprise location and used my Sapphire card. When I refused their insurance and said that my card provides primary insurance, the lady asked if I also have normal car insurance because they 'don't accept credit card insurance'. Can they actually do that?
No one's asking Enterprise to "accept" your credit-card insurance. If their car is damaged while rented to you, Enterprise can send you a bill, which you would then promptly forward to Chase's insurer. But Enterprise regularly asks for the name of your personal auto-insurance company, and I don't know if there is any law that prohibits them from denying a rental to a customer who fails to divulge it -- unless, of course, the customer does not have personal auto insurance.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Can they actually do that?
Yes.

Financial responsibility law is to protect third-parties in case of an incident. It is not designed to protect your own. On the other hand, credit card benefit only protects your rental vehicle, not any damages you have caused to others. Many states do require drivers to meet financial responsibility law, in addition to the owner.

So having someone to pay for the damage is one thing. Meeting the financial responsibility law is another thing.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Yes.

Financial responsibility law is to protect third-parties in case of an incident. It is not designed to protect your own. On the other hand, credit card benefit only protects your rental vehicle, not any damages you have caused to others. Many states do require drivers to meet financial responsibility law, in addition to the owner.

So having someone to pay for the damage is one thing. Meeting the financial responsibility law is another thing.
I do have personal insurance and can see that it would be applicable if another party were involved. But if Chase covers the vehicle as primary, I don't see how Enterprise has any right to say 'no, we're contacting your insurance company' for any damage to the car only. I suppose if they did I could just call my insurance myself and say to ignore Enterprise as I'll take care of it. I just found it unusual (and unacceptable) to be told that they don't 'accept' credit card insurance since I will figure out how I pay for any damage I cause to their car.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I do have personal insurance and can see that it would be applicable if another party were involved. But if Chase covers the vehicle as primary, I don't see how Enterprise has any right to say 'no, we're contacting your insurance company' for any damage to the car only. I suppose if they did I could just call my insurance myself and say to ignore Enterprise as I'll take care of it. I just found it unusual (and unacceptable) to be told that they don't 'accept' credit card insurance since I will figure out how I pay for any damage I cause to their car.
It is totally acceptable, as you have a fundamental misunderstanding.

According to CA DMV:

"Financial responsibility (commonly known as insurance) is required on all vehicles operated or parked on California roadways." Interestingly, the CA DMV does not actually require insurance, but instead accept the following:

"- Motor vehicle liability insurance policy.
- Cash deposit of $35,000 with DMV.
- DMV-issued self-insurance certificate.
- Surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California."

Because of this common misunderstanding, many simply ask for insurance. What they actually mean is proof of financial responsibility.

There is actually no law mandating how you need to pay for the damages if you are found to be responsible. Cash, insurance, credit card, etc. No one really cares as soon as it has been paid.

Bottom line, when the Enterprise agent really means financial responsibility, you are thinking liability coverage. Hence, the fundamental misunderstanding.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It is totally acceptable, as you have a fundamental misunderstanding.

According to CA DMV:

"Financial responsibility (commonly known as insurance) is required on all vehicles operated or parked on California roadways." Interestingly, the CA DMV does not actually require insurance, but instead accept the following:

- Surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California."

Because of this common misunderstanding, many simply ask for insurance. What they actually mean is proof of financial responsibility.

There is actually no law mandating how you need to pay for the damages if you are found to be responsible. Cash, insurance, credit card, etc. No one really cares as soon as it has been paid.

Bottom line, when the Enterprise agent really means financial responsibility, you are thinking liability coverage. Hence, the fundamental misunderstanding.
Did srodr say that he was renting from an Enterprise location in California?

California, of course, is a special case, since it requires that rental-car drivers have third-party liability insurance, apart from whatever coverage the rental-car company might have.

In some cases, California rental-car companies will provide free, but minimal, primary third-party liability insurance to the renter. Example: AARP members renting from Avis/Budget using the AARP discount code.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Interestingly, the CA DMV does not actually require insurance, but instead accept the following:

I feel like the latter three options don't come up that often, hence why a lot of people equate insurance with proof of financial responsibility.

In any case, I highly doubt Enterprise verifies what you tell them most/all of the time since in my experience, they just want the insurance company's name and deductible. Besides, CDW isn't liability insurance, so Enterprise isn't exactly in the wrong here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.