Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Recently had a charge from Avis after the station in Munich discovered a scratch in the mirror after returning it over the weekend while the station was closed. They charged my CSR 198$ for the damage but provided elaborate documentation in pdf format attached to an email. Filed the pdfs I had using the portal. 2-3 business days later I got an email asking for more documentation (rental agreement, breakdown of charges, CSR statement showing the charge for damages etc) which I filed last week, basically making pdf printouts of the emails I received from the damage people at Avis. Yesterday I got an email from eclaims that all is good and that they will pay with a link to a portal where you can pick the form of remittance (check, bank transfer, debit card). I entered my bank details and got an email that the money will come in 3-5 days. ^
Thanks for sharing how it worked.

So you earned Chase UR points for the damage charge assigned to your rental car and the card used for the rental? Talk about the potential for increased moral hazard for the insured, in context of those collecting points/miles using bank cards.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I was also suprised they offered to remit the amount to my bank account. I expected them to instruct Chase to take the charge of my CC account.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by guv1976
When renting a standard vehicle in a foreign country that Amex does provide coverage for, there's relatively little value in getting the Amex Premium car-rental insurance over the free Amex coverage that many (not all) Amex cards provide.
I think the difference is that the $19.95 fee makes the coverage primary. I don't know how to quantify the value in this case, I travel once or twice a month and sometimes I might rent two or even three cars on a single trip so the ~$20 charges would add up quickly in my case.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I think the difference is that the $19.95 fee makes the coverage primary.....
If your personal auto insurance is not valid outside North America, the standard coverage provided with any credit card is primary.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia
If your personal auto insurance is not valid outside North America, the standard coverage provided with any credit card is primary.
+1.

"Secondary" coverage is secondary to any other collectable insurance the renter has. If the renter has no other collectable insurance, then secondary coverage becomes primary for that rental.

Some credit cards -- though not, I think, Amex -- even state that their free "secondary" coverage is primary coverage outside of the cardholder's country of residence (regardless of whatever other coverage the renter may or may not have).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:25 pm

Anyone have experience filing a successful claim for tire damage?

Got a bubble in one of the tires on a trip to the West Coast. Since I was a few hundred miles away, the rental company told me to get it repaired at my own expense, and they would not charge an admin fee or anything beyond that.

The whole tire needed to be replaced at a cost of 200 bucks (typical for the type of car I rented), so I figure its worth a shot.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:25 pm

An update to provide a data point: I filed a claim, uploaded all the required docs. Got a request one week later for proof of payment for the repair (as I paid it myself), uploaded that the same day since I didn't do so in the original submission. Another week later the claim was approved. I didn't experience any unnecessary or duplicate requests for information, nor unreasonable waiting periods.

Also an important point was the repair costs were paid directly to the repair shop and nothing was paid to the rental car company. As long as you can show that you paid the costs and they were not covered because you declined CDW, this should not be an issue.

Some of the things I did to avoid back-and-forth were:
  • Make file names clear and descriptive but brief
  • Include one picture of the car and license plate, in addition to the two requested pictures of the damage
  • Add notations to the pdfs as to where amounts/times/info were on the document
  • Submit a table of contents in the initial submission as to what each file was or why it was not needed
I also did not have an issue with the email for payment selection going to a gmail address as one poster mentioned above because this email didn't have a live countdown. Just a blurb saying that the email is valid 48 hours from when it was sent.
Happy likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:43 pm

Data point from my own experience with a claim on the CSR: Had an accident with a rental car. My friend, who was on the agreement, was driving and at fault. Enterprise hit us with a $6900 bill. Although the process was slow and a bit tedious, (and Enterprise was a bit of a PITA to deal with), everyone that I talked to at CBS was very friendly and helpful, and I just ultimately they settled the claim with Enterprise and we will owe nothing.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by mia
Article really doesn't seem to address renting cars overseas.

Like one of the first steps would be to call your own car insurance company. Don't know how much they'd cover accidents overseas.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:59 am

Anyone have any experience using the primary rental insurance? Got a dent and scratch on my door on a rental - looks like I'll be trying to use it.

Last edited by mia; Jul 4, 2019 at 2:03 pm Reason: Question moved from Ritz-Carlton thread.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
+1.

"Secondary" coverage is secondary to any other collectable insurance the renter has. If the renter has no other collectable insurance, then secondary coverage becomes primary for that rental.

Some credit cards -- though not, I think, Amex -- even state that their free "secondary" coverage is primary coverage outside of the cardholder's country of residence (regardless of whatever other coverage the renter may or may not have).
Chase specifies that. On top of that Chase business card also specifies that for renting OUTSIDE US, personal usage is covered - i.e. there is no need to be a "business related" rental if it is outside US.

I dont know if AMEX actually charges the "premium" on international rentals. A few years ago we forgot to disable the premium coverage enrollment when we rented in Europe. Usually AMEX would charge the premium once the rental is paid for with the enrolled card. We never saw the premium charge on that rental.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Anyone have any experience using the primary rental insurance? Got a dent and scratch on my door on a rental - looks like I'll be trying to use it.
There's no need to tell your regular auto insurer. Start the claim at eclaimsline.com and give the eclaimsline contact info and claim number to the rental company. They'll generally deal with it among themselves, unless there's a breakdown in negotiations (like the rental company tries to charge more "loss of use" than Chase thinks is reasonable, or the rental company tries to charge for "diminished value," which Chase won't cover at all), in which case the rental company will contact you and ask you to pay the delta.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by themicah
They'll generally deal with it among themselves, unless there's a breakdown in negotiations (like the rental company tries to charge more "loss of use" than Chase thinks is reasonable, or the rental company tries to charge for "diminished value," which Chase won't cover at all), in which case the rental company will contact you and ask you to pay the delta.
Am I living in dreamland to think that part of the insurance coverage should be to protect the cardholder from unreasonable charges? I don't mean the insurance company should pay the unreasonable charge, but I think the insurance company should ensure that any charges are reasonable, whether the insurance company will cover them or not.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
Am I living in dreamland to think that part of the insurance coverage should be to protect the cardholder from unreasonable charges? I don't mean the insurance company should pay the unreasonable charge, but I think the insurance company should ensure that any charges are reasonable, whether the insurance company will cover them or not.
I was sideswiped in a Budget rental car by a hit-and-run driver and filed a claim with CSR. I gave the claim number to the agency representing the rental car company (Sedgwick) and after submitting the appropriate paperwork, I got an email from Card Benefit Services that the claim was settled and a payment made to Sedgwick. They paid everything (including Loss of Use and an Admin fee) except for the Diminishment of Value charge which was about $150.

I called Card Benefit Services to clarify and they said that since the claim was finalized and Sedgwick accepted the payment I shouldn't be liable for the Diminishment claim. We'll see if Sedgwick comes back and tries to ding me for the remainder.

Last edited by ordx; Jul 6, 2019 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ordx
I called Card Benefit Services to clarify and they said that since the claim was finalized and Sedgwick accepted the payment I shouldn't be liable for the Diminishment claim. We'll see if Sedgwick comes back and tries to ding me for the remainder.
In my experience (which is limited to one incident involving a Hertz car), Card Benefit Services wouldn't write a check to Hertz (who handle their own claims in-house) until Hertz signed CBS's written release stating that nothing further was owed by them or by me upon payment of the agreed amount, and Hertz wouldn't sign the release until I first paid the delta. Hertz was willing to come down off their original ask, and CBS (after much cajoling) was willing to pay the full amount of the claim except diminished value, but Hertz's maximum discount was a little less than the original diminished value ask, so there was still a small delta that I had to pay.

In your case, if the diminished value ask was only $150, my guess is that Sedgwick was willing to come down enough on their total ask so that CBS could get the full release without paying any diminished value. I would call CBS and ask them to send you a copy of the signed release. If it releases you, you're good to go.

(CBS never mentioned the release to me, by the way. I only know about it because the Hertz guy mentioned it so I asked to see it.)
ordx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.