Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Successful Clam.

Here is the sequence of events
Had Dent and Scratches on the Rear side panel, Rear door, and door trim, on a Fiat 500L rented from Budget at Catania. Sicily.
Submitted Clam online 5.15.18. Initially the submission looked like failure as the dreaded circle just kept circling. Called and the rep instructed to remove all docs and just submit the claim itself to get a claim number. However when doing so, got an error message of duplicate claim of a Claim Number xxxxxxx.
Told the rep who then checked and said the claim was received without any of the doc. Online I could see it showed each doc was uploaded. He said to wait 24 hours to call back and see if the system had received them.
Called 36 hours later and the rep said everything was received. Informed me it would take 5 to 10 business days before the Examiner would contact me.
Received Approval email 5.22.18 morning - 7 calendar days from submission. It pays the full amount shown on Budget's Repair Cost Quote of Euro 1298.70. This amount excludes the airport surcharge which is not covered anyway.
In the Approval email there is an active time counter right under the time stamp of the email because you are allowed to choose a payment method within 48 hours received the Approval, by clicking a live link inbedded in the email. Hence the live time counter would progress as time went by, so you knew how many hours had passed thus how many hours left to the 48 hours deadline.
This feature though, may have led to Gmail automatically blocked it from showing up in the inbox, as the first time I saw it, 12 hours had already passed. Gmail later AUTOMATICALLY DELETED this email FOREVER. As the next morning I could not find it any more. Using the search function, Gmail said it is deleted forever! Luckily I have forwarded it to my internet provider's email address before going to bed. Else I would lose the email!

UPDATE - Money is in the Bank at 4:25AM 5/24/18 - 9 days from filing the claim on 5/15/18. Less than 24 hours from Claim Approval on 5/23/18.

Hint - DO NOT USE GMAIL for this purpose.

The claim is a very easy process.

Tips for a quick settlement
1) Have the Rental Agreement at Pick Up and at Rental End pdf files. If there is any handwritten manual correction, scan it and make a pdf file.
The color of our rental car is gun metal gray but it says white on the RA. It was manually corrected. We also attached a picture of the key tag showing the Make, Model, Color and License Number.
2) Have the Damage Report / Repair Cost Estimate pdf files or jpg files.
Budget at Catania is highly efficient in producing documents - the Repair Cost Quote is itemized, with full description of each damage, supported with pictures, all became a pdf file sent to our email address as the guy produced such when he inspected the car. The claim was settled at the exact amount on this doc.
3) Pictures of the damage, including one with the license number.
4) Use Account Activity of the Chase card in lieu of the statement if the statement closing is still weeks away.
5) Give each file a very descriptive name so it is easy to identify this doc is related to what.
Such as that the Damage Report / Quote is a 4 pages doc with the description of each damage, the cost associated with each, and 5 pictures to support it. It is very easy to miss the subsequent pages when just open the file. So I gave it a very clear description as 4 pages Damage Report with Repair Cost Estimate supporting with pictures. The Claim is paid exact amount shown on this document.

Hope the above would help those who may in need to do the same.

We are very pleased with the process and the settlement. It is very smooth, everything is done electronically. No human reaction other than having to make sure all the docs were received at their end.

Now onto filing Trip Cancellation claim due to Italian air controllers went on strike causing our flight canceled. Sadly only the prepaid / uncancellable arrangements are covered. New costs to make new arrangement to get to where you need to be, is not covered.

Last edited by Happy; May 24, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old May 29, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Successful Clam.

Received Approval email 5.22.18 morning - 7 calendar days from submission. It pays the full amount shown on Budget's Repair Cost Quote of Euro 1298.70. This amount excludes the airport surcharge which is not covered anyway.
In the Approval email there is an active time counter right under the time stamp of the email because you are allowed to choose a payment method within 48 hours received the Approval, by clicking a live link inbedded in the email. Hence the live time counter would progress as time went by, so you knew how many hours had passed thus how many hours left to the 48 hours deadline.
This feature though, may have led to Gmail automatically blocked it from showing up in the inbox, as the first time I saw it, 12 hours had already passed. Gmail later AUTOMATICALLY DELETED this email FOREVER. As the next morning I could not find it any more. Using the search function, Gmail said it is deleted forever! Luckily I have forwarded it to my internet provider's email address before going to bed. Else I would lose the email!

UPDATE - Money is in the Bank at 4:25AM 5/24/18 - 9 days from filing the claim on 5/15/18. Less than 24 hours from Claim Approval on 5/23/18.

Hint - DO NOT USE GMAIL for this purpose.
The approval email came from the car rental company or the benefits admin?
Old May 29, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
The approval email came from the car rental company or the benefits admin?
I am not sure I understand where your question coming from.

Your claim is filed with Card Benefits, i.e. Eclaims Line which handles many banks' credit card benefits on insurance coverage. Why it has anything to do with the car rental company which does not provide you the insurance coverage because you have not bought any from it?

Do you realize if you buy any insurance from the rental car company, you VOID the credit card coverage?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:59 pm

I'm in Iceland right now and rented a car from a local agency. Insurance is included (no option to waive standard insurance, but I did pay extra for ash and sand coverage). I paid with CSR. Today, the windshield has a chip out of it. Googling similar experiences seems to tell me this is not uncommon and will likely be over $1,000. They had me sign a contract (at pickup) stating that the most they can charge me for windshield damage is 150,000 isk ($1400ish). So, assuming they notice this at dropoff (I am), and charge me a lot of money.... What do I do? Is this likely to be covered by CSR coverage? Do I charge the damage, get all the paperwork I can, then file a claim?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manda99
I'm in Iceland right now and rented a car from a local agency. Insurance is included (no option to waive standard insurance, but I did pay extra for ash and sand coverage). I paid with CSR. Today, the windshield has a chip out of it. Googling similar experiences seems to tell me this is not uncommon and will likely be over $1,000. They had me sign a contract (at pickup) stating that the most they can charge me for windshield damage is 150,000 isk ($1400ish). So, assuming they notice this at dropoff (I am), and charge me a lot of money.... What do I do? Is this likely to be covered by CSR coverage? Do I charge the damage, get all the paperwork I can, then file a claim?
You may be out of luck because the windshield coverage is NOT mandatory by the government. Card benefits only pay for the excess that is from the MANDATORY coverage by the government as you duly noticed that there was no option to turn down the standard coverage. However since you pay to buy extra insurance, that is NOT mandatory, you may have voided the conditions to receive benefits.

You need to read the fine print in the benefit brochure to learn more if the excess would be covered or not IF you have bought down the excess amount.

In any case your liability is limited to the $1400 on the contract. Whether your CSR would cover it is a totally different matter.

Most rental car companies would bill your card at the return but some would bill you later. No telling what your "local" car rental agency would do.

Regardless, file the claim and see what the examiner would say. Nothing to lose to file the claim but be prepared being turned down due to you have bought a coverage from the rental company.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:01 pm

EDIT: Looks like the car brand exclusions only applied to Chase Sapphire PREFERRED, not the CSR. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken

Quick question - did CSR remove the exclusions by car brand for CDW (eg. BMW, Mercedes, etc.)? I don't see it on the CSR "Guide to Benefits" even using Ctrl+F, but I also don't see in this thread or by google search any mention of it being removed. If they did remove it, I would consider that a big change and find it odd that I can't find anything about its removal. Am I just blind and unable to find the language in the Guide to Benefits pamphlet?? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by seedboxx; Jun 13, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
My successful claim experience:

Car rental from Hertz in Iceland. I knew beforehand that car rental agencies in Iceland are famous for finding damage on cars after you return them. Knowing this I made sure to take many pictures of the vehicle before and after. There was a patch of mud on the fender, and of course they found a scratch under it after I had returned home.

I exchanged pictures with Hertz and they were showing a scratch in the pictures they sent me.

Hertz sent a request for $1,200 to fix the damage.

I filed a claim with Chase immediately.

It took approximately 4 weeks of going back and forth between Chase and Hertz Iceland to get all the required documentation, but in the end Chase approved the claim and sent Hertz a check for the damage.

This was my first claim experience with Chase.
SychoSly likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Is it still necessary to call in to the benefits administrator to verify that a particular make/model is covered? I'm thinking about renting a luxury car and would like to take advantage of CDW on the CSR. Vehicle should be just about the $75,000 coverage limit.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by yerffej201
if it's included then the problem becomes if you book that rate and it's a corporate one you're not qualified for, does chase cover you?
Am curious about this one as well. Used a code for a former company of mine and had to file a claim for several thousand dollars of damage Avis is claiming we caused. Interestingly enough, it doesn't on any of the documentation eclaimsline requested (initial reservation confirmation, pickup agreement, or final invoice), however if I go to the detailed confirmation on Avis.com it does say CDW included. I think it's probably a function of this being Avis in a different country and the pickup agreement is in a different format than in the US. Thankfully none of the documents they asked for mention the CDW included so I'm hoping this is not going to be an issue.

Additionally, what happens if Chase/eclaimsline approves and pays the claim, but then Avis comes back and gives me a partial or full refund as well (I'm fighting the charge on both fronts just to be safe)? Am I supposed to let eclaimsline know or return money to somebody?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:43 pm

In my experiences it makes sense to call up the eclaimsline people (who are separate from the chase people) to make sure they follow-up. If eclaimsline aren't approving it, call chase and they may give you money when their insurance doesn't allow it

Also, always take a video of the outside of the car before you drive off
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:02 pm

Chase Sapphire car rental insurance

Hi,

I wanted to double check the coverage with my Chase Sapphire. I have the card and currently reside in the UK, have both UK and US driving licenses. I do not have a car in the UK, but rent in the UK and rest of Europe.

Am I eligible for the CDW protection when renting the car with the Chase Sapphire card?

Thank you
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I suggest that you read pages 2-6 of this guide, and then mention any specific language which makes you think that you might not be eligible.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

-OR- pages 3-7 ...

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Your question, pred02, piqued my interest since I expect to rent a car in England next month.

Originally Posted by mia
I suggest that you read pages 2-6 of this guide, and then mention any specific language which makes you think that you might not be eligible.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve
There were a couple of things that concerned me. First, the name of the document includes the word Interim. Second, this is the bottom paragraph on page 2 (with formatting removed).

The benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries. Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law or by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms of the rental agreement. Please note: Regulations vary outside the United States, so we recommend that you check with your auto rental company and Benefit Administrator before you travel to make sure your Auto Rental CDW will apply.
It seemed likely that England would be one of "most foreign countries." Still, wanting reassurance, I called the Benefits Administrator, and aside from the five-minute waits (two of them), it was a pleasant call. The representative confirmed that England is not an excluded country, and encouraged me to ask the rental agency if it or the territory terms made coverage not applicable. Then the rep sent a letter to me saying the coverage would apply. (Some of the formatting got fouled up; apparently PDF formatting is not compatible with FlyerTalk.)

To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is to verify that [serpens] and any drivers authorized on the car rental agreement, when using Chase Bank
USA, National Association card number ending in [nnnn], are eligible for worldwide coverage under the Auto Rental Collision
Damage Waiver benefit. This includes the previously excluded countries of the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Israel, and
Jamaica. Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law or by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms
of the rental agreement.
Subject to the terms and conditions of the Guide to Benefits, the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver reimburses you for
covered theft or damage up to $75,000.Valid administrative and loss-of-use charges imposed by the auto rental company as well
as reasonable towing charges that occur while you are responsible for the rental vehicle are also covered. The following must be
met in order for coverage to apply:
1.Only vehicle rental periods which neither exceed nor are intended to exceed thirty-one (31) consecutive days are covered.
2.The Loss/Damage Waiver offered by the rental agency must be declined by the cardholder in any state or country except
where prohibited by law.
3.The entire rental transaction must be secured and charged to the eligible card.
4.Anyone driving other than the person whose name is embossed on the card must be listed as an authorized driver on the
rental contract.
5.The damage or theft must have taken place during the rental period as outlined on the rental agreement and acknowledged
by the cardholder or authorized driver.
This coverage is primary where available. It does not duplicate insurance provided by or purchased through the car rental
company; it will not pay for losses reimbursed by the cardholder’s own insurer, employer, employer’s insurance or any other valid
insurance.
The coverage specifically excludes antique automobiles; certain vans; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds and motorbikes; limousines;
and recreational vehicles. All claims must be reported immediately following the loss, but in no event later than 60 days following
the date of loss. Please note that other terms and conditions may apply. If you have any questions regarding the Auto Rental
Insurance benefit, please call the benefit administrator at 1-800-356-8955, or call collect at 804-673-1691, 24 hours a day.
I would rather that the letter said England was included, since that was why I called, but it seemed like a good response from the Benefits Administrator.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I may have to file a claim here - should I wait to file until after I've spoken with Hertz Cyprus about their fraud? (they charged me for damages even though all damages were pre-existing and I have signed walk around the car damage reports and photos taken in lot to prove it). Or should I file and have both things going concurrently?

I already disputed the charge with Chase as well. Couldn't get Hertz Cyprus to pick up their phones for a day - so did that before I finally got a hold of their main office # in Nicosia (which of course is closed til Mon AM).
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I may have to file a claim here - should I wait to file until after I've spoken with Hertz Cyprus about their fraud? (they charged me for damages even though all damages were pre-existing and I have signed walk around the car damage reports and photos taken in lot to prove it). Or should I file and have both things going concurrently?

I already disputed the charge with Chase as well. Couldn't get Hertz Cyprus to pick up their phones for a day - so did that before I finally got a hold of their main office # in Nicosia (which of course is closed til Mon AM).
Can't give any advice on claim filing with Chase and the path to get this sorted out, but I'd strongly advise you to sort it out properly with Hertz and not only via chargeback. Hertz is known to be easy on the trigger to put people on the DNR list for chargebacks, even in situations where the chargebacks are justified. Quite a lot of info on this is available over on the Hertz forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.