Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anon4512
Well, I'll have to see. Documentation is still being collected at this point. My claim has't been rejected.
2 weeks have passed, any further update? i.e. whether the claim is approved or if it is denied, have you taken it to the court?

Would be nice to post an update so the community can learn from your experiences whether buying a LLDW could void the coverage or has no effect.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:14 pm
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
I have never booked a car rental through the UR portal before. If I book a rental car with my UR points earned from my CSR and I choose to pay the entirety with points do I have the insurance coverage? The guide says the entire rental must be paid with the CSR but it kind of defeats the benefit. I saw where someone used points and paid for fees with their card and had coverage but AFAIK if you use points there are no additional fee's at the point of pickup. Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by ck8
I have never booked a car rental through the UR portal before. If I book a rental car with my UR points earned from my CSR and I choose to pay the entirety with points do I have the insurance coverage? The guide says the entire rental must be paid with the CSR but it kind of defeats the benefit. I saw where someone used points and paid for fees with their card and had coverage but AFAIK if you use points there are no additional fee's at the point of pickup. Thanks
Several blogs claim that as long as you use UR points earned with the card offering the benefit (not a different card) and pay any cash difference with the same card, then the coverage applies. But I don't see any data points on this thread one way or the other of someone being approved or denied (though it's possible I missed one).

The PDF guide to benefits doesn't say one way or the other.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'm doing that right now. Since "entire" rental cost can be interpreted differently.
Well, I’m about to test that and let everyone know. Just returned a car in Colorado they claimed I scratched and wrote up an incident report for. I paid with my Chase Saphire Reserve Visa and used the Visa contract with a free weekend day coupon provided by Visa.

If they try and say I didn’t pay for the entire rental with my Visa card, I’ll throw a fit on the internet. Just filed a claim tonight, I’ll keep you guys updated.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the current policy regarding Chase coverage of windshield damage and tires? I recall these being "gray" areas in the past -- yet they are the 2 damages most likely to occur to a rental car. I've been reimbursed twice for flat tires, but I think they were both AMEX. Lately, I've had a run of rental cars with slow tire leaks: I'm pretty sure the tires were leaking air when I got the car, and that nobody wants to say anything to the agency. I haven't said anything either, because I don't want to be blamed for it -- especially if I'm not sure I have coverage. Does anyone know what the official policy is on this?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Chase Cards and Primary Rental Car Coverage

I was wondering which Chase cards besides the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card offer Primary Rental Car Coverage.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by holocker
I was wondering which Chase cards besides the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card offer Primary Rental Car Coverage.
United, Sapphire Preferred, Ritz Carlton. Some of the Ink cards to as well, but only if you are traveling on business.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:22 am

On Sapphire Reserved Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit, does anyone know where to find online the list of WHICH country it cover? The guide stated the following:

"Regulations vary outside the United States, so we recommend that you check with your auto rental company and
Benefit Administrator before you travel to make sure your Auto Rental CDW will apply."

The countries I am looking at is Netherland, Germany and Belgium
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by slippahs
Any experiences on whether the CSR covers administrative fees? Processing the paperwork now and see that the rental agency is asking for $50 in admin fees.
Just reporting back here to my question. CSR took care of the admin fees, and paid promptly so the claim was resolved within 40 days of reporting (there was lag on paperwork on the rental agency to me end). Very pleased with the whole process, even if there was no human interaction on the Chase side.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ChuckieCheese
On Sapphire Reserved Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit, does anyone know where to find online the list of WHICH country it cover? The guide stated the following:

"Regulations vary outside the United States, so we recommend that you check with your auto rental company and
Benefit Administrator before you travel to make sure your Auto Rental CDW will apply."

The countries I am looking at is Netherland, Germany and Belgium
Unfortunately I think you have to call and ask. I can tell you that Germany and Poland are covered as of a few months ago, but best just to call.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Anyone have experience in Thailand? A lot of the rates I'm seeing include some form of CDW/LDW without a way to get them pulled off (at least every rate at rentalcars.com or from northwheels.com).

I'm also struggling to figure out how to buy liability insurance. Geico liability doesn't go beyond US/CA and WA state is excluded from the few travel insurance liability sites I found.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by leland
Anyone have experience in Thailand? A lot of the rates I'm seeing include some form of CDW/LDW without a way to get them pulled off (at least every rate at rentalcars.com or from northwheels.com).

I'm also struggling to figure out how to buy liability insurance. Geico liability doesn't go beyond US/CA and WA state is excluded from the few travel insurance liability sites I found.
Have you checked to see whether third-party liability coverage is automatically included on rentals in Thailand? If it's not, then I imagine you can buy it directly from the rental-car company.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
[Deleted]

Last edited by naumank; Jan 5, 2018 at 8:14 pm Reason: Accidental duplicate posting.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I rented a car from Hertz in Hawaii last week. The entire cost was charged to my CSR. On the 2nd to the last day of my trip, someone rear-ended my car and damaged the bumper. I filed a claim with Chase (eclaimsline.com) the night before I returned the car. I put my claim number on my incident report when I returned the car. I got an email back from eclaimsline.com today asking for additional documents: (1) Police Report; (2) A demand letter from Hertz; and (3) A repair estimate or bill.

I have a few questions and would appreciate it if someone would shed some light:

1. Is a police report absolutely necessary? A police officer showed up at the scene and gave us a card with a police report number on it. But it's not the actual police report. On Honolulu PD's website, I would need to send a mail with a check in order to request a police report. Sounds like a painful process.
2. The accident happened a week ago. I haven't heard anything from Hertz. Should I just wait for them to contact me? Or should I be pro-active to try to get the demand letter and repair estimate?
3. Is it necessary for me to file a claim with my personal insurance? If this were my own car, the other driver's insurance should pay for the damages. I would file a claim with my insurance company which will go after the other driver's insurance. But the Hertz rep at car return told me that Hertz wouldn't go after the other driver (they would only go after me). It sounds like eclaimsline wouldn't go after the other driver. Does this mean the other driver's insurance wouldn't need to pay for the damage even though it was clearly the other driver's fault?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by naumank
I rented a car from Hertz in Hawaii last week. The entire cost was charged to my CSR. On the 2nd to the last day of my trip, someone rear-ended my car and damaged the bumper. I filed a claim with Chase (eclaimsline.com) the night before I returned the car. I put my claim number on my incident report when I returned the car. I got an email back from eclaimsline.com today asking for additional documents: (1) Police Report; (2) A demand letter from Hertz; and (3) A repair estimate or bill.

I have a few questions and would appreciate it if someone would shed some light:

1. Is a police report absolutely necessary? A police officer showed up at the scene and gave us a card with a police report number on it. But it's not the actual police report. On Honolulu PD's website, I would need to send a mail with a check in order to request a police report. Sounds like a painful process.
2. The accident happened a week ago. I haven't heard anything from Hertz. Should I just wait for them to contact me? Or should I be pro-active to try to get the demand letter and repair estimate?
3. Is it necessary for me to file a claim with my personal insurance? If this were my own car, the other driver's insurance should pay for the damages. I would file a claim with my insurance company which will go after the other driver's insurance. But the Hertz rep at car return told me that Hertz wouldn't go after the other driver (they would only go after me). It sounds like eclaimsline wouldn't go after the other driver. Does this mean the other driver's insurance wouldn't need to pay for the damage even though it was clearly the other driver's fault?
While Hertz won't go after the other driver (And why should they? Hertz rented its car to you, not to the other driver), I'm sure that Hertz will happily accept payment from the other driver's insurance company to settle the claim. Have you contacted the other driver's insurer to find out: 1) whether they have been apprised of the accident; and 2) whether they plan to pay Hertz for the damage?

If you want/need to go through Chase, and if the terms and conditions of the Chase coverage require the submission of a police report, then I expect that you will have to obtain a police report. What's so "painful" about sending a check through the mail to obtain a copy of the police report from the police department that took the report?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.