Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 7:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Make sure you aren't confusing the Chase Sapphire card with the Sapphire Preferred card. The base Sapphire card has secondary coverage.

From the benefits guide for the Preferred card:

The Auto Rental CDW benefit provides reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft of most rental vehicles up to seventy five thousand ($75,000.00) dollars. It is primary coverage which means you do not have to file a claim with any other source of insurance before you can receive coverage under this benefit.
Neil
Old May 2, 2017, 10:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
... I'm seeing verbiage to the effect that only the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) has *primary* CDW...
Where do you see this?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see this?
Never mind. Probably in one of the blogs touting the CSR.

Going straight to Chase, I do see the CDW coverage is still Primary for the CSP:
https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/preferred.htm

"Decline the rental company's collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad."

Glad I was mistaken.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:25 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Does the primary coverage of the CSR extend to a second driver I have authorized to drive the rental, or just me as the card holder?

ETA: Never mind; found it:

Who is eligible for coverage?
You, a person to whom a United States (U.S.) credit card has been
issued (“Cardholder”) and your name is embossed on the card. You
are then covered as the primary renter of the vehicle and any additional
drivers permitted to operate it under the terms of the rental agreement
(“Authorized Person”) are also covered.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
I had a similar situation a few years ago. My car was in for repairs and the insurance co. Gave me an Enterprise rental. Enterprise wanted a CC and I gave them Chase. Long story short, I backed into a snowbank, cracking the amazingly cheap bumper. I did the same, called Chase and they refused, as the whole rental wasn't on the card. Wound up paying $500 out of pocket.

DD
Sorry to chime in late here, but this answer might help someone:

When I had to rent a car paid for by my auto insurance, my agent told me that as long as I had collision coverage on my policy, that would extend to a car rented as part of an insurance benefit. Liability coverage also follows the insured, not the car - so I'm covered for liability whenever I rent a car in the US. I don't know whether these apply universally, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask your agent.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by snic
... collision coverage on my policy, that would extend to a car rented as part of an insurance benefit. Liability coverage also follows the insured, not the car -....
I think this is typical, but that these threads exist because posters do not want to file a claim with their own insurer if it can be avoided, because of the assumption (sometimes true, sometimes not) that it will adversely affect their premiums.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: Continental, BA
Does anybody know what would happen if car is rented as part of package deal with hotel on costco travel
Old May 8, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by boniam
Does anybody know what would happen if car is rented as part of package deal with hotel on costco travel
See the discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/renta...ee-rental.html

It is advisable to contact Chase's benefits administrator and ask whether the CDW coverage applies to rental cars included in travel packages charged to your card. If the answer is, "Yes," try to get it in writing (letter or email).
Old May 9, 2017, 1:28 pm

A few weeks ago I returned a rental where I'd put a little scrape in the rear bumper. I paid entirely with my CSP, and am good in terms of it being covered, if necessary. They seemed rushed when I returned the car, and I was in a hurry too, so I didn't mention it. (It was really a pretty light scrape, on the border of normal wear and tear I would say.)

I've been half expecting an email charging me $600 for bumper repair (which, if it were my car, I'd fix with $8 of touch up paint, or not at all), but I haven't gotten anything. Can I stop worrying yet? Any chance I'll hear from them in 3 weeks from now? I ask because we have 60 days to deal with insurance process through Chase (I think). I'm hoping that not having heard anything means I'm in the clear, but I also worry I might hear from the rental company on day 61.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows anything about this normally plays out!
Old May 9, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rbw5t
A few weeks ago I returned a rental where I'd put a little scrape in the rear bumper. I paid entirely with my CSP, and am good in terms of it being covered, if necessary. They seemed rushed when I returned the car, and I was in a hurry too, so I didn't mention it. (It was really a pretty light scrape, on the border of normal wear and tear I would say.)

I've been half expecting an email charging me $600 for bumper repair (which, if it were my car, I'd fix with $8 of touch up paint, or not at all), but I haven't gotten anything. Can I stop worrying yet? Any chance I'll hear from them in 3 weeks from now? I ask because we have 60 days to deal with insurance process through Chase (I think). I'm hoping that not having heard anything means I'm in the clear, but I also worry I might hear from the rental company on day 61.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows anything about this normally plays out!
I suggest initiating a claim with Chase's benefits administrator. That protects you in case you get a bill from the car-rental company six months from now. You must notify Chase of the incident within 60 days of occurrence; and you must submit a claim form within 100 days of occurrence. But as long as you meet both of those deadlines, you have 365 days from the date of occurrence to submit all required additional documentation -- including the rental company's demand letter and repair estimate.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
I don't want to cross post (see Sixt forum) but my experience using the CSR wasn't seamless. Offered a BMW 5 series but was told it was worth far more than USD 75,000 (maybe, depends what it was) and that my booked MB C class was also not covered (outright wrong). Got the C class after manager intervention.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:15 am

Make sure that the letter card benefit services sends to you is the right one! I received the one wrong one that stated the card would be secondary when it actually provides primary coverage!!!

https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4
Old May 16, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
So do we know how this works for free award rentals? So if I redeem Hertz points for a free day? I've never done that before since I don't rent much but I assume you still get charged some taxes?
Old May 22, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by rebadc
FYI,

The license plate frame is technically not part of the vehicle.

Hertz should not charge to screw on a new license plate frame.
I would understood it as a part of the vehicle since it's attached to it
Old May 23, 2017, 9:40 pm

Here's one for you guys... I know the terms say entire rental, so think about the following scenario... Would I be covered if I use a "free weekend day" coupon provided by the rental company, but sponsored by Visa? In my mind, technically the coupon is being provided as a benefit to Visa cardholders, and by using my Chase Saphire Reserve Visa, it validates the coupon. I've done this in the past thinking I've been covered. What do you guys think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.