Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Declined Business card to many open/closed short time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

I just had my first decline in my life applying for the Chase Premier Marriott Business card 70k. I wanted to give people a heads up of what to be aware of if this is a new policy. In short, they may be becoming intolerant of churning at Chase.

I called the reconsideration number. They explained I have a history of opening and closing cards with them and have too much open credit available. I offered to lower my credit limits, (which has worked in the past); they still declined. My credit score is over 800 I have a plus 6 figure income. I presently only have one open Chase Business card, southwest. I have had Ink plus and Bold in the past. My business is a side consulting gig under 10k a year that I have been using to apply for cards since 2010. On the personal side I have 3 open active cards (meaning I actually use them every month) and have closed 2 cards in the last year.

Overall I follow the practice of never applying for more than one card business card every 90 days, and never the same card within 2 years of my last bonus. I close cards when they require an annual fee once charged, if they decline to remove it. My average credit history is over 5 years.

In July my Southwest card will be up for an annual fee, maybe I will apply for another after I close that one out.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Wyleeguy79
I just had my first decline in my life applying for the Chase Premier Marriott Business card 70k. I wanted to give people a heads up of what to be aware of if this is a new policy. In short, they may be becoming intolerant of churning at Chase.

I called the reconsideration number. They explained I have a history of opening and closing cards with them and have too much open credit available. I offered to lower my credit limits, (which has worked in the past); they still declined. My credit score is over 800 I have a plus 6 figure income. I presently only have one open Chase Business card, southwest. I have had Ink plus and Bold in the past. My business is a side consulting gig under 10k a year that I have been using to apply for cards since 2010. On the personal side I have 3 open active cards (meaning I actually use them every month) and have closed 2 cards in the last year.

Overall I follow the practice of never applying for more than one card business card every 90 days, and never the same card within 2 years of my last bonus. I close cards when they require an annual fee once charged, if they decline to remove it. My average credit history is over 5 years.

In July my Southwest card will be up for an annual fee, maybe I will apply for another after I close that one out.
Do you mind to share how much total credit you have among all Chase Cards currently?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wyleeguy79

I called the reconsideration number. They explained I have a history of opening and closing cards with them and have too much open credit available. I offered to lower my credit limits, (which has worked in the past); they still declined.
Chances are this is your issue
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:54 am

So they said part of the reason is too many accounts opened and closed so you're going to close another one and then apply for another card?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by VABuckeye
So they said part of the reason is too many accounts opened and closed so you're going to close another one and then apply for another card?
Are you saying that this maybe illogical?

The rules of this game is constantly changing. I would not be surprised if some of the more prolific churners find themselves hitting a wall over the next couple of years.

EDIT: Forgot my /sarc tag

Last edited by Lumpylump76; Apr 24, 2015 at 5:08 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Are you saying that this maybe illogical?

The rules of this game is constantly changing. I would not be surprised if some of the more prolific churners find themselves hitting a wall over the next couple of years.
Try lowering your credit limits and reapplying in 90 days.

They told you that you have are not willing to give you any more credit.

What the agent said about seeing cards being opened and closed doesn't matter, every bank knows if people churn cards.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:52 pm

Good data point, but far from new:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.