Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Metal cards & TSA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Metal cards & TSA

I'm sure this has been covered but I've not been able to find a thread on it with Search (visiting FT via phone tonight).

What have been people's experiences with the Chase metal cards and TSA? Could you post your experiences? Which airports, which equipment,etc?

Im trying to get some time at an idle TSA checkpoint to run a CSP and Ritz card through to see what's the best strategy. I love being able to leave my wallet in my pocket at Pre but don't want to get haraSSSSed for carrying a metal card.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
I'm sure this has been covered but I've not been able to find a thread on it with Search (visiting FT via phone tonight).

What have been people's experiences with the Chase metal cards and TSA? Could you post your experiences? Which airports, which equipment,etc?

Im trying to get some time at an idle TSA checkpoint to run a CSP and Ritz card through to see what's the best strategy. I love being able to leave my wallet in my pocket at Pre but don't want to get haraSSSSed for carrying a metal card.
CSP no problem. Ritz sets off metal detectors.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...dit-cards.html
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:27 pm

I go through TSA PreCheck all the time with my full wallet (including CSP) in my pocket without any problems. I'm not sure if the metal detector on the PreCheck line is set to a lower sensitivity though, but I haven't been stopped through several airports (SFO, LAX, JFK, PDX). Hope this helps.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Just last week, when I went through TSA Precheck at LAX, I was carrying CSP, Marriott and Ritz cards in my wallet. After going through twice and setting off the metal detector, we figured out it was the Ritz card triggering the metal detector. When I went through the third time, now without the Ritz card (still had the CSP and Marriot in my wallet on me), I cleared through the metal detector.

Upon returning through DCA, I placed my Ritz card in my carry-on and went through the metal detector (with CSP and Marriott cards on me) with no problem.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I appreciate the link, but no mention of TSA in there.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I just got my Ritz and they sent me a plastic card due to "inventory issues". Metal one s/b here by the end of April they are saying.

Anyway, the plastic Ritz card is fine (no surprise there) as is the CSP. My Palladium card does set off the metal detectors, so when I travel I usually pack the plastic Palladium instead. If I want to bring the metal Palladium for some reason, I will usually throw that one in my carry-on along with my belt (buckle sets off the WTMD), and cell phones.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My wallet goes in my carryon. Always has.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:26 pm

My CSP does not set off TSA alarm, but my passport case apparently does! It is leather (or maybe fake one) bought at AAA.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:54 am

TSA does not care if the credit card is metal vs. plastic. Obviously, if you cut it into something sharp/pointed, then it'll be an issue on xray.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
My wallet goes in my carryon. Always has.
I carry a spare home key in my wallet, so just because of that I've always put it in either my carryon or in a tray.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
TSA does not care if the credit card is metal vs. plastic. Obviously, if you cut it into something sharp/pointed, then it'll be an issue on xray.
For the discussion here, I'm referring to the walk-through metal detectors (WTMDs). I prefer to keep my wallet on my person at all times. I've seen too many dishonest TSAholes with sticky fingers...and then there's dishonest pax/airport workers to deal with.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I carry a spare home key in my wallet, so just because of that I've always put it in either my carryon or in a tray.
I've put Schlage keypad locks on almost all of my places. Absolutely awesome to not worry about keys when traveling. I also lock my car keys IN the car (not in a publicly-accessible spot) and use my mobile phone to unlock it and re-enable the starter when I get back in town.

Prior to this, I had all of my condos keyed with a master key system. I'd carry the master when traveling, so my one key would open my condo no matter which city I was in.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:22 pm

Never had a problem with TSA, but did have a problem boarding a Norwegian Cruise ship on 3 different occassions. It was the 3rd time that I realized that it was the card. After removing it, I went thru just fine. The security agent scanned my wallet and the beep went off. He looked really perplexed. As soon as I got home, I ordered the plastic version.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the discussion here, I'm referring to the walk-through metal detectors (WTMDs). I prefer to keep my wallet on my person at all times. I've seen too many dishonest TSAholes with sticky fingers...and then there's dishonest pax/airport workers to deal with.

I've put Schlage keypad locks on almost all of my places. Absolutely awesome to not worry about keys when traveling. I also lock my car keys IN the car (not in a publicly-accessible spot) and use my mobile phone to unlock it and re-enable the starter when I get back in town.

Prior to this, I had all of my condos keyed with a master key system. I'd carry the master when traveling, so my one key would open my condo no matter which city I was in.
I live in a rented apartment, so I don't have the option of replacing my lock. But I live a very simple lock life compared to you, in that I only have one permanent residence.

But, in the context of this thread, the advantage of having to use real keys is that I don't have to worry about whether I have metal cards in my wallet or not, since I have backup keys in my wallet, not having it on me as I go through a metal detector is an automatic instinct. (And I have PreCheck through NEXUS, and rarely fly out of airports without PreCheck, so I virtually always go through the metal detector at airports.)

My car's key is too bulky, so I haven't figured out a good backup place for that, though. I don't think I can do mobile unlock of a 2006 Honda, though. (But since I've got only 75k miles on it, I have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon!)

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 11, 2015 at 5:27 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
My CSP never triggered any metal detectors yet, and I also carry a swiss card in my wallet all the time, which also never triggered any metal detectors yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.