Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For more current information on Chase-to-Chase UR transfers, see the wiki & discussion at 11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Since the Chase UR website was updated sometime back in November, I've completely lost the ability to freely combine/transfer points back and forth between my personal and business accounts (Freedom x 4, Ink Bold, and Ink Plus). I can transfer points between Ink accounts, and between Freedom accounts, but not between personal/business accounts.

I've made multiple phone calls and none of the reps seem to know why, but they all seem to think it's correct and that "terms have changed" to prohibit this type of activity. The last rep I spoke to even said that my Ink Plus account doesn't show that it's a "Chase UR" account, but instead an "Ink Plus 5-2-1" account, which is different....? I can't imagine any of this being accurate - in the past, Chase UR points were Chase UR points, and as long as you had a premier account type (Sapphire Preferred, Ink Plus, Ink Bold) which has transfer partners, you could freely combine points and all the points were the same (no difference between "Freedom points" and "Ink points").

If these changes are actually real, it's a massive change to the program, especially since I've always combined all my points into one of my Freedom accounts until I needed them, and then transferred them to an Ink account to transfer to the partner that I wanted. If all my points (right now, luckily only ~150k) are "stuck" in my Freedom account, they just lost all their value.

Please tell me that all these reps are misinformed and this is somehow just a glitch that will be fixed and my points will eventually go back to being freely transferable between my Ink and Freedom accounts. TIA!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Northwest, United
I can't believe that what you were told is correct. If that were the case, the blogs (and FT) would be seething and exploding, with legions of points collectors screaming their outrage, starting petition drives, writhing on the ground in agony, clawing at their eyes, and generally making a big stink (and rightly so). Gotta be something else going on there.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I can't believe that what you were told is correct. If that were the case, the blogs (and FT) would be seething and exploding, with legions of points collectors screaming their outrage, starting petition drives, writhing on the ground in agony, clawing at their eyes, and generally making a big stink (and rightly so). Gotta be something else going on there.
Exactly what I thought too. But I've spoken with 2 different supervisors, and one escalated to a Manager, and nobody seems to know anything... worrying me. And until it's resolved, I have no flexibility with my points at all, since they're stuck in my Freedom account. The last supervisor actually offered to send me a check for the value and then I could just use that cash to pay...!!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Click on your points balance on the top right and then select "combine points", this works just as it used to in the past.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robbert
Click on your points balance on the top right and then select "combine points", this works just as it used to in the past.
Thanks, but I've done this countless times and it just doesn't give me the ability to transfer between Freedom/Ink accounts. If I try to add an account to transfer/combine to, it gives me the message "An unexpected error occurred".
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:28 pm

I just transferred points from my Ink Plus to my Freedom.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip
Thanks, but I've done this countless times and it just doesn't give me the ability to transfer between Freedom/Ink accounts. If I try to add an account to transfer/combine to, it gives me the message "An unexpected error occurred".
if you can't do it, ask them to do it on phone. EASY
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
if you can't do it, ask them to do it on phone. EASY
I feel like the point of this post/thread is being missed. I've already spent over 2 hours on the phone with them, and they're telling me that it's not possible, that terms have changed, and "Ink Points" now cannot be transferred to "Freedom Points" and vice versa. Phone or not, I'm not being allowed to do it...

I know how to transfer points, I've been doing it quite often for 2+ years now. Something's changed in the last month that restricts my ability to do so...

Last edited by dajoip; Dec 16, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:08 pm

I feel like the point of this post/thread is being missed. I already have spent over 2 hours on the phone with them, and they're telling me that it's not possible, that terms have changed, and "Ink Points" now cannot be transferred to "Freedom Points" and vice versa. Phone or not, I'm not being allowed to do it...
https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase....dd-new-account
on add/partner spouse or whatever you see there

click it and you can add your own any chase cards with your name or spouse or partner!

Add another Chase cardholder

I certify that this card belongs to me or my spouse/domestic partner.

The card information entered here will be saved for future transactions.

UPDATE"

If you don't see all your UR earning chase cards there, the only option to COMBINE your points is by doing it on "ADD SPOUSE/DOMESTIC PARTNER

That means if you add your own name and another UR earning card to transfer/combine points, you won't be able to combine/transfer points to your wife?
For example, I don't see my Ink card on the Personal card account & its UR website. If I have to transfer points from Freedom to Ink, I have to do it by clicking on "Add spouse/domestic partner.

And it says this name will be saved. I won't be able to transfer points to my wife who has a different name?

That looks bad!

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 16, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase....dd-new-account
on add/partner spouse or whatever you see there

click it and you can add your own any chase cards with your name or spouse or partner!

Add another Chase cardholder

I certify that this card belongs to me or my spouse/domestic partner.

The card information entered here will be saved for future transactions.

JuST CHECKED AND WORKING FINE

They have recently changed their UR website! So that's why you are bit confused I think! Some chase reps are clueless!
I know things have changed, but I'm not confused. The "new" system won't let me add my cards. And it's not just their reps, I've spoken to two supervisors and a manager now, and nobody can help me. I get the error message referenced above:

"An unexpected error occurred".
And the reps I spoke with actually seemed a little surprised it wouldn't let them do it either, but they're not able to manually override it. Perhaps it's working for you, and that makes me feel better that it's a glitch, but it's definitely not working for me and it's been this way for over a month and I can't get any assistance from them...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:26 pm

I know things have changed, but I'm not confused. The "new" system won't let me add my cards. And it's not just their reps, I've spoken to two supervisors and a manager now, and nobody can help me. I get the error message referenced above:

And the reps I spoke with actually seemed a little surprised it wouldn't let them do it either, but they're not able to manually override it. Perhaps it's working for you, and that makes me feel better that it's a glitch, but it's definitely not working for me and it's been this way for over a month and I can't get any assistance from them...
I thinking I am seeing a negative change to the UR points/combine/transfer program!

I updated my post above
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:18 pm

The transfer page does seem to be more restrictive than in the past. You can transfer points only to one "saved" card. You used to be able to freely enter a card number.

But the terms still say
You can move points to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, your spouse, or domestic partner.
So the Ink-Freedom unavailability is a tech glitch, I hope.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:22 pm

Not entirely the same situation, but I had a lot of trouble transferring points from my UR account to my wife's. Using her card number and lastname, it gave me the "Unexpected Error". Called and representatives couldn't get it to work though confirmed it should, and were "unable" to do it manually.

We have a checking acct with Chase and I noticed my wife's name included a middle initial on it. I tried once more to transfer points to her account using the middle initial, space, lastname, (entered as "A LASTNAME") and it went through. It is certainly not printed on her card like that but she does have multiple middle names that tends to confuse lots of things.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:26 pm

Sux that you can't transfer points between your own personal & biz UR cards without selecting the "Add spouse/domestic partner!

I guess you become spouse of someone else if you have separate personal & biz accounts.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I believe all is well, but their website has become a bit glitchy.

I just transferred 25,000 "Baby Ultimate Rewards points" from my Freedom account, combining them with my balance of "Real Ultimate Rewards points" associated with an Ink card (both in my own name).

I logged onto Chase online, went to Ultimate Rewards. When I first tried to access the Freedom card, my browser kicked me out - the Chase online sign-in page reloaded, and I was not signed in. It did this about 4 times in a row. Finally, I was able to get in and access the freedom card. On the Freedom card page, there's a rounded light-blue rectangle near the upper right corner of the browser window (immediately left of the Search icon). Click the downward-pointing arrow to the right of your Points balance: you should see your Freedom card, with points balance, and all other UR-earning Chase cards in a dropdown list; at the bottom of that list, there's a link to "Combine Points". THAT is what you want. Click that, and it brings up a "Combine points" page with a two-column interface where you can choose the UR source ("Move my points from") on the left, and the destination ("Move my points to") on the right. Select one from each column and click Continue....you should then have the option to specify the number of points to move.

It worked just fine for me once it stopped logging me out.

So, I think all is well in UR-land. Give the above a try and see if it works.

Hope that helps (and I hope we can all sleep a little better now...I know I will).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.