Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

delinquency 2 missed payments, any recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Hey guy,

So I had a chase account open and I had a delinquency on my record for 2 straight months because I assumed that I set up auto pay but I forgot. I only found out because I checked credit karma last month because I was going to buy a house. This was the absolute worst time for me. My credit score went from 770 to 700....

Do I have any recourse? Anything I can do to repair my score quickly? i.e. next 2-3 months?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by xcalibir
Hey guy,

So I had a chase account open and I had a delinquency on my record for 2 straight months because I assumed that I set up auto pay but I forgot. I only found out because I checked credit karma last month because I was going to buy a house. This was the absolute worst time for me. My credit score went from 770 to 700....

Do I have any recourse? Anything I can do to repair my score quickly? i.e. next 2-3 months?
why do you not proactively login to check you bills at chase.com instead of visiting creditkarma to monitor this. your problem is you assumed, (its like saying "i almost robbed the bank!", the fact is it did not happen) you should never assume anything. nevertheless why do you not pay your bill in full? give the extent of the account being late for 2 consecutive months, i am very confident you are screwed. you can follow up with chase to see if the will be willing to help you with your error.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You can pay your bill in full, and then ask a pass.

Time to show some stability, tell them you were out of the country, and had no internet.,

They should give you one month free if you have never had a problem.

Do not give them a bunch if phony excuses, and pay the bill in full.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I also recommend changing your account alerts with Chase. There is an option for an alert for, "No payment was received for this account."

Account alerts are great. Several cards have alerts for late payments. Then you will get an e-mail or text about it.

I tend to enable almost every alert they offer. I would rather delete an e-mail than miss something.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:56 am

You could make sure the account is paid in full and then challenge the delinquencies on your credit reports. It's possible (I don't know how likely, but possible) that they won't bother to verify the delinquencies if the account is current.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Nothing you can do. You did not pay Chase for 2 months--reason does not matter. It will correct itself to read current on the next cycle, but it still will show that previous payments were not always as agreed.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont you not even check your BANK STATEMENT? If you thought you have auto pay, shouldn't you see the payment going thru your bank account and if that hasn't happened, you do not notice it at all and just charge merrily away?

If you only miss ONE single payment, then the delinquency would not be reported, the bank would even give you one-time courtesy waiver to credit back your late payment fee if you have long stable payment history with the bank and the bank trusts you this is an oversight..

Now you let it pass TWO miss payments - the damage is already done. You can plead with Chase to ask them to reverse the reporting which, btw, is automatically done when it is 30 days past due date.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:20 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by satman40
Time to show some stability, tell them you were out of the country, and had no internet.,
Originally Posted by satman40
Do not give them a bunch if phony excuses, and pay the bill in full.
Your advice contradicts itself. I would suggest NEVER lying to anyone about this. No one goes 2 months without internet, and it is easy to verify if someone was actually out of the country for 2 months.

I suggest you first immediately pay for the overdue amount, and then call Chase to explain. Try to frame it as a technical problem (autopay didn't get set up correctly) and emphasize that you fully intended to pay. If you're more concerned about the credit report, offer to pay the late fee if they will remove the marks from your report. Most people that call are trying to get a late fee waived.

Also, call the credit bureaus. Again, explain that you did not set up autopay correctly and the payments did not go through. If you are lucky, they may remove the marks. If not, you have the right to add an explanatory statement to any negative information in your report.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Your advice contradicts itself. I would suggest NEVER lying to anyone about this. No one goes 2 months without internet, and it is easy to verify if someone was actually out of the country for 2 months.

I suggest you first immediately pay for the overdue amount, and then call Chase to explain. Try to frame it as a technical problem (autopay didn't get set up correctly) and emphasize that you fully intended to pay. If you're more concerned about the credit report, offer to pay the late fee if they will remove the marks from your report. Most people that call are trying to get a late fee waived.

Also, call the credit bureaus. Again, explain that you did not set up autopay correctly and the payments did not go through. If you are lucky, they may remove the marks. If not, you have the right to add an explanatory statement to any negative information in your report.
Which one do I call? Do I call all of the bureaus?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:39 pm

Which one do I call? Do I call all of the bureaus?
Well what I would do is first you pull all your credit reports from the 3 credit bureaus at www.annualcreditreport.com and see which of the 3 credit bureaus reports some delinquent marks on your report. That way you don't look like a fool when you are talking to the credit bureau CSR in case that particular bureau did not report you as delinquent and they are confused what the heck you are talking about.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I had a guy on this board tell me he was out if the country, that was the reason for the comment.,,

I would pay the bill in full, show good faith, and hope for the best...

Not all CC auto pays work out the first time,

Chase is a very understanding bank.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So I missed a payment this month with a Chase card by two days. (Completely my fault.) On the second day I got four calls on my mobile, and subsequently four voicemails. How did you manage to avoid the calls? As much as people hate on Chase, they do a pretty good job of trying to get a hold of you as quickly as they can.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
So I missed a payment this month with a Chase card by two days. (Completely my fault.) On the second day I got four calls on my mobile, and subsequently four voicemails. How did you manage to avoid the calls? As much as people hate on Chase, they do a pretty good job of trying to get a hold of you as quickly as they can.
They never called me until 2 months after I missed payment.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:04 pm

Delete
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:15 pm

Hey guy,

All is not lost if you had a track record with Chase and it showed you never missed a payment in the past. Just explain your situation and state it was an honest mistake and you forgot about it. Ive found some CS reps are very understanding and may help correct the problem. Be kind and polite and it may solve your problems.
Data: my mom who is often forgetful once forgot to pay her bill that was well over 90 +days and a call to a nice understanding rep and all was solved (but I have a feeling mom being over 70+ also helped her in this situation, as if it was me, then maybe not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.