It gives 5%.
Thank you ericdabbs
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:46 am

Data points: Nespresso boutiques inside Bloomingdales do not count towards 5%
Nordstrom Rack does post as 5%.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
You can buy them at staples.com if you have an Ink card. That could net you 8% cash back through the UR portal.

If you have a Discover Card, Homedepot.com I believe qualifies for the 5% this quarter as well.
I thought Staples.com stops giving UR pts on GC purchases? Or it is only for the VGCs but other GCs still earn the additional 2 UR pts?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I thought Staples.com stops giving UR pts on GC purchases? Or it is only for the VGCs but other GCs still earn the additional 2 UR pts?
OP was using old information. No portals have been giving you back points on Staples VGC purchases since May.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by WoodenRobot
Could you get Home Depot gift cards on amazon? I needed to buy a fridge.
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
OP was using old information. No portals have been giving you back points on Staples VGC purchases since May.

Actually, the original question wasn't on VGC, it was on Home Depot gift cards bought through the portal at staples.com. I bought some a couple of months ago, and I got the 8%. That is what I was basing my statement on.

I know that correcting others can be a fun hobby on this board, but not even reading the original posts first is somewhat silly.

Last edited by jeanie; Nov 16, 2014 at 5:00 am
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Neiman Marcus and Saks currently give 10p/$ plus 5% CB on Freedom on the URM. Giftcardgranny tells me that I could actually sell these for a small profit. However, on the URM loading page it says quite clearly
Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.
. Looks like there's still not much to make with regular GCs here, even with the free shipping offers and the specials. Dang!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:11 pm

I have read multiple threads and did an internet search, but couldn't find an answer to a somewhat simple question. Does the 5% cash back apply to only BM department stores, or if I shop at macys.com or sears.com would I get the 5% as well.

I saw the list of merchants, and the only 2 websites I saw specifically listed were Amazon and Zappos. And in the FAQ, it talks about checkout counters.

Q. What types of merchants are in the Select Department Stores category?
Select department stores are the stores that are listed on the Select Department Store list. These stores have multiple departments that may sell general lines of goods and services; for example: apparel, home furnishings, furniture, electronics, cosmetics and housewares. Each department usually has a separate checkout counter.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
I have read multiple threads and did an internet search, but couldn't find an answer to a somewhat simple question. Does the 5% cash back apply to only BM department stores, or if I shop at macys.com or sears.com would I get the 5% as well.

I saw the list of merchants, and the only 2 websites I saw specifically listed were Amazon and Zappos. And in the FAQ, it talks about checkout counters.

Q. What types of merchants are in the Select Department Stores category?
Select department stores are the stores that are listed on the Select Department Store list. These stores have multiple departments that may sell general lines of goods and services; for example: apparel, home furnishings, furniture, electronics, cosmetics and housewares. Each department usually has a separate checkout counter.

Thanks in advance!
I have bought stuff on Sears.com and got the 5%.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:42 pm

I have bought stuff on Sears.com and got the 5%.
Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:17 am
XP1

Do any department stores (other than Sears) sell Visa or MasterCard gift cards?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:58 pm

I'll probably do the Sears VGCs thing. Its just like getting $200 VGCs with Chase Ink...except you don't get the 1% from VSE.
Other than to meet bonus spend requirements, is there another reason you're going this route? It's only $15 profit from $1,500 Q4 spend going this way, assuming it's $7 per $200 vgc at Sears.

I have two Freedom cards and I'm looking for a way to MS them, but $15 a card isn't worth it for me.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by LiarsDice
Other than to meet bonus spend requirements, is there another reason you're going this route? It's only $15 profit from $1,500 Q4 spend going this way, assuming it's $7 per $200 vgc at Sears.

I have two Freedom cards and I'm looking for a way to MS them, but $15 a card isn't worth it for me.
Wait for a sears portal bonus then use the freedom. I did it when AA had 8x sears per $1 spend.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
Wait for a sears portal bonus then use the freedom. I did it when AA had 8x sears per $1 spend.
You essentially have to go through a double portal to buy a VGC through sears.com and I have no idea if that registers through. AA>Sears>GCM, will you still get the AA points with that.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:30 pm
XP1

Originally Posted by nova08
You essentially have to go through a double portal to buy a VGC through sears.com and I have no idea if that registers through. AA>Sears>GCM, will you still get the AA points with that.
But wouldn't GCM be a non-bonus or non-department category and get 1%, not 5%, from Chase?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:12 am

Today only Sears 12X United Portal if you have United CC otherwise 8x. Great time to use the freedom 5X.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.