Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Should I shift Chase credit before cancelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

So I've currently got 5 Chase personal cards and 2 biz cards. On my last app (Chase Marriott) a few weeks ago I went pending and then had to call the recon line. The rep told me they couldn't extend me any more credit so I offered to move 10k from one of my other cards.

Now I have two cards (united card and SW premier) that the AF is about to hit on and I want to cancel both. Is it better to cancel the cards thus opening up credit so that my next app might get approved instantly or is it better to try and shift the credit to another card and then cancel? Can you even do the latter?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
You may shift the credit line when you are calling them to cancel your card.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that's good to know. I guess I'm still wondering if I should do it or not though? I have plenty of open credit lines elsewhere so losing the credit won't hurt my score much if at all.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Thanks, that's good to know. I guess I'm still wondering if I should do it or not though? I have plenty of open credit lines elsewhere so losing the credit won't hurt my score much if at all.
then it is up to you! You may let it go or shift it to your other account. Either way, it is a credit line ( subject to go up and down based on your spending pattern ). But if you ever request to increase your credit line from Chase, then it would require hard inquiry.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:53 pm

shift credit from CSP to Ink Plus?

hey all

is anyone aware of whether I can move some available credit from my Chase Sapphire Preferred card to my Chase Ink Plus card?
anyone have experience doing this?
thanks all
rymetymeuk
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:37 pm

Sure -- just request it. Keep in mind that you can't transfer from business to personal.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Sure -- just request it. Keep in mind that you can't transfer from business to personal.
Last year I was able to take $5K from Ink Cash $20K to open a BA card when I called recon dept.

This year Chase took $5K from Freedom $20K to open an Ink Plus totally without my knowledge.

I now simply cancel Chase cards without shifting credit lines because this would help me to get instant approvals instead of the need to do recon.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Happy

I now simply cancel Chase cards without shifting credit lines because this would help me to get instant approvals instead of the need to do recon.
I think that may be a better approach ^
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

I ended up closing two chase cards and shifted half of the credit, let the other half disappear. Will see what happens next time I apply for a chase card.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:37 pm

On business, you can spend up until the limit.
On personal, you don't want to spend to close to your limit.
Which is why you should deff shift some over
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:09 pm

just a fyi all, you can't move personal credit line to business apparently. I secure messaged them to request it and that's what they told me.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
Are people sure that helps? Admittedly, Chase my regret giving me so much credit available and wouldn't want to give it back to me if I let it go.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
So I've currently got 5 Chase personal cards and 2 biz cards. On my last app (Chase Marriott) a few weeks ago I went pending and then had to call the recon line. The rep told me they couldn't extend me any more credit so I offered to move 10k from one of my other cards.

Now I have two cards (united card and SW premier) that the AF is about to hit on and I want to cancel both. Is it better to cancel the cards thus opening up credit so that my next app might get approved instantly or is it better to try and shift the credit to another card and then cancel? Can you even do the latter?
In my experience, I've been able to cancel my Chase cards and transfer the entire credit line -$500 to my CSP.

I now have a large credit limit (~$30,000) relative to my other credit cards. I thought this might have something to do with my IHG application not getting instantly approved, but I just checked the app and they've tacked on a $15,000 limit on the IHG card.

I say hold onto your credit limit, if for nothing else but credit score reporting purposes.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:28 pm

I'm cancelling my United Explorer as the annual fee is due next month. I don't have any other personal chase card. Only have an Ink Plus.

Can/should I transfer the limit to Ink plus before cancelling? If I won'y be able to transfer limit back from Ink Plus in the future I think I'm going to cancel without transferring.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Have you considered downgrading the UMPE to a no-fee card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.