Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding AU with no SSN to Chase CCs?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Adding AU with no SSN to Chase CCs?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience lately (this year) with adding foreign AUs without SSNs to Chase cards? I searched flyertalk and it seemed like people weren't having any issues last year, and when adding AUs online, it seems to just ask for name without asking for any additional information. However, this is listed under "things you should know":

"For the Authorized User, this account will be reported to the credit reporting agencies as an Authorized User's account. This could potentially impact the Authorized User's credit score."

How will the account be reported for the AU if they don't ever get the AU's SSN?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 26, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
I added my wife an authorize user on Discover without SSN, but they were able to report it to her credit file. I guess, their system is smart. If they can't find it, then it wouldnt be a problem.
Old May 26, 2014, 3:30 pm
In memoriam

Don't know about Chase--but, I have met several dogs and cats that have had their authorized user cards from Amex thereby earning some miles for their human associates.

Don't think the critters had SSNs.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
SSN is helpful but generally not required for information to be reported to the credit bureaus. From my understanding, the credit bureaus can usually also match a person based on other biographical data (e.g. name and address). And if they can't match it, then the info just doesn't get posted.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:44 pm

When I've added my girlfriend who doesn't live in the same state, it doesn't seem to get reported. Like it was said above, they probably can't match her identity with my address.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:16 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Don't know about Chase--but, I have met several dogs and cats that have had their authorized user cards from Amex thereby earning some miles for their human associates.

Don't think the critters had SSNs.
yeah I read about this in the MR forum lol wow... so how well does this work for banks other than Amex? from this thread I get the sense most of em dont ask for SSNs or its optional when you sign up the AU?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
When adding an AU with Chase I was surprised it didn't ask for a SSN.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:45 pm

My cat is an authorized user on my CSP.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by aGeist
My cat is an authorized user on my CSP.
What is the reason for this?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
There's a 5K point bonus for adding an AU on the CSP.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I've added Taiwanese exchange student friends to my CSP with no issues- no SSNs required for any of 'em.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:18 pm

Adding AU without SSN

Basically, I want to add someone as an AU on CSP, let's call him Jean. Jean does not live in US and as such does not have SSN, etc. Jean will be in US in next year or so. Now, I presented chase with this scenario and they said it was fine and asked me for a name so they could send AU card to me.

My question is - how will this factor into Jean's credit score once she enters US?

edit: AFAIK Chase does report AU.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:30 pm

Then it will be as if that person already has a US card. You don't need a SSN for a credit to be reported.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Then it will be as if that person already has a US card. You don't need a SSN for a credit to be reported.
Isn't it weird to have credit reported before entering US?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by runb4fun
Isn't it weird to have credit reported before entering US?
Not really. My mom's US credit report goes back 15-20 years before she moved to the US due to Amex backdating credit histories and her bringing her Amex Platinum account via Amex Global Transfer.

And my one experience with adding a Chase AU is that it didn't require a SSN. I only did it for the 5k bonus United miles. Granted this was 18 months ago. You could have gotten a card in your dog's name...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.