Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know how to download Chase activities for previous year for tax purposes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know how to download Chase activities for previous year for tax purposes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I can do it on Amex and on Citi, but couldn't figure out how to do it on Chase. It will only let me download transactions 3 months out to the past. Anything before that, I have to copy and paste from pdf statements! When I contact Chase about it, they replied that it was for my own security that they only provide them in pdf format. Is there a trick out there to do this easily? I just want them in csv format for Excel.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
One way with Acrobat XI

A possibly better, but not perfect method, using Adobe Acrobat XI:
Open in Acrobat
"save as other" -> Spreadsheet -> Excel"
This will do some of the work. Once in Excel, you will need to do some more work, but not as much as if you have to cut and paste each line.

The sections are grouped together and it will take a few minutes to delete the cruft and get them where you want them. You might be able to speed this up if you delete the cover page, and any other pages that don't transactions on them, before saving as other.

There are probably other PDF -> XLS converters out there. You probably do not want to use a web based once, given the data involved.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Probably not much help,but if you fumble around like I did last week I was able to find a concise record of my expenses. It is there honest.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reft
A possibly better, but not perfect method, using Adobe Acrobat XI:
Open in Acrobat
"save as other" -> Spreadsheet -> Excel"
This will do some of the work. Once in Excel, you will need to do some more work, but not as much as if you have to cut and paste each line.

The sections are grouped together and it will take a few minutes to delete the cruft and get them where you want them. You might be able to speed this up if you delete the cover page, and any other pages that don't transactions on them, before saving as other.

There are probably other PDF -> XLS converters out there. You probably do not want to use a web based once, given the data involved.
That's actually what I ended up doing. Good thing I have Acrobat Pro too. I have no idea why Chase would not let you download at least 18 months of transactions. For now I setup calendar reminders every 3 months to download the records...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:27 pm

You will have year end summary in statements section..this year end summary will have every transaction made in respective year..not sure if this is what you are looking for...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MannyGC
You will have year end summary in statements section..this year end summary will have every transaction made in respective year..not sure if this is what you are looking for...
That's in pdf format also. PDF is only good for human... can't import it to Excel or accounting software. Citi credit card has year end summary but it let you choose the format and you could pick csv format. The same with Amex cards.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
The year end tax summary statement I have found to be most useful.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:32 pm

Any chance anyone has figured this out yet? I can even get this for a target prepaid redcard, and every other bank under the sun, but chase's website doesn't.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superdrew
Any chance anyone has figured this out yet? I can even get this for a target prepaid redcard, and every other bank under the sun, but chase's website doesn't.
Nope. I have been downloading Chase activities every 3 months since I started this thread LOL. I just set up calendar reminder to download Chase.

I probably should invest in some accounting software that will do this automatically.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:25 am

Not sure it'd help you, but Chase and Intuit just reached an agreement to share data... someday.

https://media.chase.com/content/pr/c...s-more-control
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by MannyGC
I am new to Chase so not need anything from them for tax. Doesn't Chase produce 1099 form to each customer for tax purpose?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by fh2000
I am new to Chase so not need anything from them for tax. Doesn't Chase produce 1099 form to each customer for tax purpose?
1099's are only for bank bonuses I believe. Not points.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by PointsTutor
1099's are only for bank bonuses I believe. Not points.
You generally shouldn't be paying taxes on points. Bank account bonuses are classified as "interest", hence the 1099. Credit card Points are a "discount" or "rebate" on amounts spent at merchants, at least if min spend is required to receive the points or bonuses.

Discounts are not income therefore not taxable.

Of course with business credit cards, a discount does reduce the tax deductible amount of your business expenses - but most of us with business cards don't always only use them for tax deductible business expenses, right?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Of course with business credit cards, a discount does reduce the tax deductible amount of your business expenses - but most of us with business cards don't always only use them for tax deductible business expenses, right?
The Chase business credit cards do give you at least 12 months of data for download purpose instead of 3. But I use my personal credit card for my small business so I need to itemize the spending.. like telecommunication, marketing, shipping, travel, goods and materials, etc... the year end summary does not separate them into the categories I need for accounting purpose.

I did call them and try to ask them to raise it to 12 months but they claimed it is a security risk. So 12 months in PDF is not a risk, but it is a risk in excel format... hmmm... Oh and it is not a risk if you have a business credit card...
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Chase year-end summary's spreadsheet incompatibility probably costs me eight hours of Excel massaging each tax season.

Citibank is so much easier. Another reason I closed my Chase Marriott card last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.