Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What happens to negative UR point balance if I cancel card?

Old Feb 23, 14, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

My Freedom has a balance of -300 UR points. What happens to these points if I cancel the card?
Old Feb 23, 14, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Chase sends a death squad to your home and takes out your entire family.

But in reality, nothing.
Old Mar 31, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Mine is about -50,000.
Old Mar 31, 18, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
Mine is about -50,000.
How is that possible? Refund a shopping?
Old Apr 1, 18, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by trebol42 View Post
How is that possible? Refund a shopping?
First, understand that I ran a huge amount of travel through that card in December.
An airline had over-billed me for a first class ticket to Africa by $16,000 because of a foreign currency mixup. I noticed this a few days after they did it. I'm guessing the bank's autopay took the money for the bill while it was in dispute--which shouldn't have happened. Eventually the airline fixed the issue. The bank notified me that I had a $10K credit at some point and since then I noticed the 50K point deficit.

Last edited by TomA; Apr 1, 18 at 6:36 am
Old Apr 1, 18, 8:18 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
My Freedom has a balance of -300 UR points. What happens to these points if I cancel the card?
300 UR is nothing and Chase won't care about it. If you cancel the card, you walk for free. They won't hire a collection agent to track you.

If this is an active card, then this deficit just gets added to your point balance with the new reward points.

If you do not care about the card, just shut it down and walk away. If this is a large amount (like the -50k) and Chase cares, then Chase can put you on its blacklist.

Do the right thing....
Old Apr 1, 18, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
First, understand that I ran a huge amount of travel through that card in December.
An airline had over-billed me for a first class ticket to Africa by $16,000 because of a foreign currency mixup. I noticed this a few days after they did it. I'm guessing the bank's autopay took the money for the bill while it was in dispute--which shouldn't have happened. Eventually the airline fixed the issue. The bank notified me that I had a $10K credit at some point and since then I noticed the 50K point deficit.
That makes sense
Old Apr 2, 18, 7:26 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

But you must have spent or transferred the points out of the account sometime after they were deposited and before the error was corrected, yes?
Old Apr 2, 18, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
But you must have spent or transferred the points out of the account sometime after they were deposited and before the error was corrected, yes?
Of course. 50K was a relatively small percentage of the total that was in that account and I generally use them as they are awarded.
Old Jun 17, 18, 1:32 pm

If anyone is still following this thread I ended up closing my account (not because of the point balance, but for another legitimate reason) and the -50K point balance was erased without comment. I don't have any active cards in that account now and the balance is 0.
Old Jun 17, 18, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
If anyone is still following this thread I ended up closing my account (not because of the point balance, but for another legitimate reason) and the -50K point balance was erased without comment. I don't have any active cards in that account now and the balance is 0.
Nice gift.
Old Aug 25, 20, 3:04 pm

Negative Points Balance After Closing Sapphire Reserve

Hi,

I have a question about having a negative points / rewards balance after having closed a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card.

I like Chase and have had good experiences with them so don't want to mess them around. Here's the situation:

Like many, I decided a while back to cancel the CSR since we aren't going to be traveling or dining for quite some time. Some time after canceling it I received a refund to my CSR for a travel booking which had been made on the CSR last year.

This meant that my CSR, although closed, now has a negative points balance of about 7,000 points. There's another Chase credit card on the account with a positive points balance well in excess of this.

Is Chase not going to come and claim the points back from that other credit card account? When we canceled a hotel booking which had been made with points on the CSR, they refunded the points onto the other credit card and didn't even take that opportunity to take back the negative 7,000, which it seems might have made sense.

Any experiences from anyone?
Old Oct 21, 20, 7:10 am

I am curious too, I signed up for CSR 4 years ago with the 100k sign up bonus. Currently have negative 80,000 points from a 2020 travel refund due to COVID-19. My annual fee is this month, would be great to close the CSR, and two months later apply for CSR in January (50 months since last sign up bonus used), and start fresh with either a new sign up of 100k points, or maybe 20k if they end up keeping this -80k points somewhere in a database for future use and deducting from the sign up bonus.

I only have Amex Plat and Chase CSR, no other cards.

Anyone close a negative UR, open shortly later, have that information?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by glbl View Post
I am curious too, I signed up for CSR 4 years ago with the 100k sign up bonus. Currently have negative 80,000 points from a 2020 travel refund due to COVID-19. My annual fee is this month, would be great to close the CSR, and two months later apply for CSR in January (50 months since last sign up bonus used), and start fresh with either a new sign up of 100k points, or maybe 20k if they end up keeping this -80k points somewhere in a database for future use and deducting from the sign up bonus.

I only have Amex Plat and Chase CSR, no other cards.

Anyone close a negative UR, open shortly later, have that information?

Thanks!
Out of curiosity, did you end up closing the card with -80K points and re-applying for a new one?
I am in a similar situation, although my negative points balance is nowhere near as large as -80K points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: