Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What happens to negative UR point balance if I cancel card?

What happens to negative UR point balance if I cancel card?

Old Feb 23, 14, 6:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,373
What happens to negative UR point balance if I cancel card?

My Freedom has a balance of -300 UR points. What happens to these points if I cancel the card?
davie355 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 14, 7:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Posts: 1,279
Chase sends a death squad to your home and takes out your entire family.

But in reality, nothing.
bribro is offline  
Old Mar 31, 18, 1:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,951
Mine is about -50,000.
TomA is offline  
Old Mar 31, 18, 9:42 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
Mine is about -50,000.
How is that possible? Refund a shopping?
trebol42 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 6:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by trebol42 View Post
How is that possible? Refund a shopping?
First, understand that I ran a huge amount of travel through that card in December.
An airline had over-billed me for a first class ticket to Africa by $16,000 because of a foreign currency mixup. I noticed this a few days after they did it. I'm guessing the bank's autopay took the money for the bill while it was in dispute--which shouldn't have happened. Eventually the airline fixed the issue. The bank notified me that I had a $10K credit at some point and since then I noticed the 50K point deficit.

Last edited by TomA; Apr 1, 18 at 6:36 am
TomA is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 8:18 am
  #6  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,103
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
My Freedom has a balance of -300 UR points. What happens to these points if I cancel the card?
300 UR is nothing and Chase won't care about it. If you cancel the card, you walk for free. They won't hire a collection agent to track you.

If this is an active card, then this deficit just gets added to your point balance with the new reward points.

If you do not care about the card, just shut it down and walk away. If this is a large amount (like the -50k) and Chase cares, then Chase can put you on its blacklist.

Do the right thing....
RedSun is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 8:44 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
First, understand that I ran a huge amount of travel through that card in December.
An airline had over-billed me for a first class ticket to Africa by $16,000 because of a foreign currency mixup. I noticed this a few days after they did it. I'm guessing the bank's autopay took the money for the bill while it was in dispute--which shouldn't have happened. Eventually the airline fixed the issue. The bank notified me that I had a $10K credit at some point and since then I noticed the 50K point deficit.
That makes sense
trebol42 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 7:26 am
  #8  
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 2,925
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
First, understand that I ran a huge amount of travel through that card in December.
An airline had over-billed me for a first class ticket to Africa by $16,000 because of a foreign currency mixup. I noticed this a few days after they did it. I'm guessing the bank's autopay took the money for the bill while it was in dispute--which shouldn't have happened. Eventually the airline fixed the issue. The bank notified me that I had a $10K credit at some point and since then I noticed the 50K point deficit.
But you must have spent or transferred the points out of the account sometime after they were deposited and before the error was corrected, yes?
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 10:49 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
But you must have spent or transferred the points out of the account sometime after they were deposited and before the error was corrected, yes?
Of course. 50K was a relatively small percentage of the total that was in that account and I generally use them as they are awarded.
TomA is offline  
Old Jun 17, 18, 1:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,951
If anyone is still following this thread I ended up closing my account (not because of the point balance, but for another legitimate reason) and the -50K point balance was erased without comment. I don't have any active cards in that account now and the balance is 0.
TomA is offline  
Old Jun 17, 18, 2:53 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Iintermountain West
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,600
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
If anyone is still following this thread I ended up closing my account (not because of the point balance, but for another legitimate reason) and the -50K point balance was erased without comment. I don't have any active cards in that account now and the balance is 0.
Nice gift.
philemer is offline  
Old Aug 25, 20, 3:04 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Negative Points Balance After Closing Sapphire Reserve

Hi,

I have a question about having a negative points / rewards balance after having closed a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card.

I like Chase and have had good experiences with them so don't want to mess them around. Here's the situation:

Like many, I decided a while back to cancel the CSR since we aren't going to be traveling or dining for quite some time. Some time after canceling it I received a refund to my CSR for a travel booking which had been made on the CSR last year.

This meant that my CSR, although closed, now has a negative points balance of about 7,000 points. There's another Chase credit card on the account with a positive points balance well in excess of this.

Is Chase not going to come and claim the points back from that other credit card account? When we canceled a hotel booking which had been made with points on the CSR, they refunded the points onto the other credit card and didn't even take that opportunity to take back the negative 7,000, which it seems might have made sense.

Any experiences from anyone?
notlikely is offline  
Old Oct 21, 20, 7:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
I am curious too, I signed up for CSR 4 years ago with the 100k sign up bonus. Currently have negative 80,000 points from a 2020 travel refund due to COVID-19. My annual fee is this month, would be great to close the CSR, and two months later apply for CSR in January (50 months since last sign up bonus used), and start fresh with either a new sign up of 100k points, or maybe 20k if they end up keeping this -80k points somewhere in a database for future use and deducting from the sign up bonus.

I only have Amex Plat and Chase CSR, no other cards.

Anyone close a negative UR, open shortly later, have that information?

Thanks!
glbl is offline  
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:27 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,821
Originally Posted by glbl View Post
I am curious too, I signed up for CSR 4 years ago with the 100k sign up bonus. Currently have negative 80,000 points from a 2020 travel refund due to COVID-19. My annual fee is this month, would be great to close the CSR, and two months later apply for CSR in January (50 months since last sign up bonus used), and start fresh with either a new sign up of 100k points, or maybe 20k if they end up keeping this -80k points somewhere in a database for future use and deducting from the sign up bonus.

I only have Amex Plat and Chase CSR, no other cards.

Anyone close a negative UR, open shortly later, have that information?

Thanks!
Out of curiosity, did you end up closing the card with -80K points and re-applying for a new one?
I am in a similar situation, although my negative points balance is nowhere near as large as -80K points.
agjil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: