Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase United Club Card - Trip Cancellation Insurance - Payment Held for 1 Year?

Old Feb 3, 14, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

My husband and I were going to Hawaii at Christmas, but got really sick the day of the trip, so ended up canceling our flights. The only up side I thought was that we had used the United Club Card, so had trip insurance to cover the $3,000 in flights...

After going back and forth for over a month with the insurance company that Chase uses - uploading all the forms - doctor's notes, receipts, marriage license, you name it - and calling over and over and over - I just found out that because United doesn't really cancel the ticket for a year, we can't get our money back until United totally cancels the ticket a year after cancelation... They never ONCE mentioned that in the last month...

So turns out that if you think you have trip insurance with your Club Card, you better be willing to eat the money for a year....

United refuses to cancel the tickets early, and the company refuses to give the money back until the tickets are canceled...

Does anyone see any way around this mess? I was even willing to try to change the tickets to refundable tickets and eat $200 in change fees on each ticket, but nope, United won't let me...

Arghhh...
Old Feb 3, 14, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
After going back and forth for over a month with the insurance company that Chase uses - uploading all the forms - doctor's notes, receipts, marriage license, you name it - and calling over and over and over - I just found out that because United doesn't really cancel the ticket for a year, we can't get our money back until United totally cancels the ticket a year after cancelation... They never ONCE mentioned that in the last month...
It's understandable that you're upset... But I'm a bit confused. You haven't actually suffered the full $3000 loss yet, right? Theoretically you could apply the canceled ticket to any new itinerary after paying the change fee ($200)...

So until that ticket expires, you're only out a theoretical $200.

Will they reimburse that fee by itself, if you apply the residual value to a new trip? Then you could become "whole", right now, without waiting.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: