Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]

Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]

Old May 16, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kethee
They made me send them the items when I used this benefit. I had to pay for shipping.
Interesting. I just filed a claim for broken eye glasses and uploaded pictures. Will be interesting to see if they request me to send them in. As long as they pay for shipping I guess I don't really care. But it will slow down the process.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
This is partially related, but some have told me that eclaimsline.com and cardbenefitservices.com are the same organization, with cardbenefitservices.com being a newer site for certain claim types. I'm thinking they're actually two separate administrators. eclaimsline says copyright "AGA Service Company" and claimbenefitservices.com says "Asurion, LLC".

With a bit of googling I'm thinking these are separate administrators. I've had fairly good results with eclaimsline -- they're not very fast, but anytime they want more info I get a detailed letter explaining what they want. And they've fairly processed each of my claims. Card Benefit Services has sent letters to me and they never say anything other than "please call us to clarify your claim." The person on the phone is obviously just a call center rep trying to ask questions based on case notes. This has led to problems with one of my claims since they gathered the wrong info. Then, the website says my claim is Open and being adjudicated, but if I call them it has actually been denied twice. They have sent nothing to me. They also promised to have a claims examiner call me, which didn't happen. Next time I was on the phone I was told there's no way to get anyone to call you. Just overall they seem like what I expect from an insurance company you're not paying directly: Opaque processes, very poor communication, unhelpful phone reps.

Just curious if anyone has had similar thoughts.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

These people are the worst. I purchased a drone with my Ritz Carlton Rewards Card. Crashed it. Water and physical damage. Here's how the last 3 months of my life have been.... I call them, they tell me that the claim is under review but to check back in 5 days. I call back in 5 days and they either say that my claim is approved "but pending management review for payment" or that I need to submit another document. I submit another document, wait 5 days and call back in and they tell me that they have not been able to "process" the document yet and I need to call back in another 5 days. Or.... if it's been "pending management review for payment" I will call back after a few days and they will tell me that they need add'l documents from me (which again, require 5-10 days for them to process.)

The whole thing seems designed by them to be painful and that they would prefer I just give up. I'm at 3 months and over a dozen calls to them. Worthless benefit IMHO.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wotan2525
... Crashed it. Water and physical damage....
What type of claim did you file? Damage due to an accident would not typically be a warranty claim.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
What type of claim did you file? Damage due to an accident would not typically be a warranty claim.
Purchase protection. Accidental damage. Goes through the same people (Card Benefit Services.)
Old May 23, 2018, 4:15 pm
mia

Moderator action

Thank you for the clarification. I have moved the discussion from the Extended Warranty thread to the Purchase Protection thread.
wotan2525 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by wotan2525
These people are the worst. I purchased a drone with my Ritz Carlton Rewards Card. Crashed it. Water and physical damage. Here's how the last 3 months of my life have been.... I call them, they tell me that the claim is under review but to check back in 5 days. I call back in 5 days and they either say that my claim is approved "but pending management review for payment" or that I need to submit another document. I submit another document, wait 5 days and call back in and they tell me that they have not been able to "process" the document yet and I need to call back in another 5 days. Or.... if it's been "pending management review for payment" I will call back after a few days and they will tell me that they need add'l documents from me (which again, require 5-10 days for them to process.)

The whole thing seems designed by them to be painful and that they would prefer I just give up. I'm at 3 months and over a dozen calls to them. Worthless benefit IMHO.
Exactly what I'm finding. I uploaded a PDF of my receipt. It was an confirmation email. 5 days later received an email saying it is "blurry" and I need to resubmit. How can a confirmation email be blurry? It's ridiculous and they are just making things difficult. Now they want another document uploaded... and I'm sure it'll take another 5 days. I already gave up as my claim was only for $50. Not worth my time, which I'm sure they knew going in.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
I tried filing a lm extended warranty claim with cardbenefitservices for a pair of spoilt headphones. This has been my worst insurance and Chase experience. All figure purchases where I need EW protection will be on Amex.

1. As some above have noted - you can only talk with call center representatives who are not the claims handlers. You are not allowed to communicate directly with the claims handlers and the call center representatives have no idea what they’re talking about or what the claims handlers actually want.

2. I had a call last week with a call center representative supervisor insisting that my claim would only be pair out if my headphones were sent to them in undamaged condition. I’m not sure they understand the meaning of warranty protection!

3. I encourage everyone to file a complaint with the BBB or local state insurance regulators.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Melodsal
[ried filing a lm extended warranty claim with cardbenefitservices for a pair of spoilt headphones.....sent to them in undamaged condition. I’m not sure they understand the meaning of warranty protection!
Typically a Warranty would not cover damage. Purchase Protection might cover damage. How long ago did you purchase the product, and which type of claim did you file?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Typically a Warranty would not cover damage. Purchase Protection might cover damage. How long ago did you purchase the product, and which type of claim did you file?
The claim was made under extended warranty - the headphones split at a defective weak point (for reference Sony was replacing them if still under warranty because it is a known problem).

In happier news the claims handlers seem to have approved the claim and I received a check. However, the check was received for a lesser amount than what I submitted for, with no explanation about how they came up with the new amount . It was only about fifty dollars less than what I submitted so I'm not further following up.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by maracle
This is partially related, but some have told me that eclaimsline.com and cardbenefitservices.com are the same organization, with cardbenefitservices.com being a newer site for certain claim types. I'm thinking they're actually two separate administrators. eclaimsline says copyright "AGA Service Company" and claimbenefitservices.com says "Asurion, LLC".

With a bit of googling I'm thinking these are separate administrators. I've had fairly good results with eclaimsline -- they're not very fast, but anytime they want more info I get a detailed letter explaining what they want. And they've fairly processed each of my claims. Card Benefit Services has sent letters to me and they never say anything other than "please call us to clarify your claim." The person on the phone is obviously just a call center rep trying to ask questions based on case notes. This has led to problems with one of my claims since they gathered the wrong info. Then, the website says my claim is Open and being adjudicated, but if I call them it has actually been denied twice. They have sent nothing to me. They also promised to have a claims examiner call me, which didn't happen. Next time I was on the phone I was told there's no way to get anyone to call you. Just overall they seem like what I expect from an insurance company you're not paying directly: Opaque processes, very poor communication, unhelpful phone reps.

Just curious if anyone has had similar thoughts.
Chase Benefits Guide references Chubb as the insurer of benefits,
SO eclaimsline says copyright "AGA Service Company" and claimbenefitservices.com says "Asurion, LLC". makes the administrators who review claim confusing.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:17 pm
mia

While a company owned by Chubb is Chase's Underwriter this year, they could hire AGA or Asurion to administer the coverage. Credit cards are awash in outsourced benefits.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mia
While a company owned by Chubb is Chase's Underwriter this year, they could hire AGA or Asurion to administer the coverage. Credit cards are awash in outsourced benefits.
Mia,
Thanks for this thread it confirms how bureaucratic and confusing working with Chase on Benefits is on claims on Purchase Protection.
In fact Chase repeatedly refused to advise me who the 3rd party insurer was for benefits until I read it in Chase Benefits Guide.

Chase Purchase Protection is next to worthless unless theft. Theft requires police report, insurance company denial, copy of purchase receipt, and the cash value of item(possibly replacement value).

If damaged or lost it is written so vague Chase does Not have to pay out. Of course you must have to have police report, denial document from personal insurance, and copy of receipt of purchase. Then maybe replacement or just cash value.

These banks sure do a 'CON' job in making it sound great protection but in reality Chase Purchase Protection is difficult to get compensation versus Amex.

Chase in Benefits Guide states its at Benefit Administration discretion even if you meet the qualifying criteria. Chase rep claimed that sunglasses dropped in water while boating and dropped in water would qualify since known location was known and cannot be retrieved. I'm skeptical after reading all of the posts on this thread.

SO sad --------- anything Chubb is involved in I would NOT expect coverage payout based on my Citi Bank Car Rental experience with those clowns.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I gotta say, Amex really is a dream with any kind of claim. I've only had to use it a few times and each time it was an incredbly pleansant experience. Each time I hung up the phone and said aloud "I'm a cusotmer for life."

I don't think it's so much a Chase issue as an issue with all these outsourced benefits. It's more about being able to claim it in their adverising then actually delivering on it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:38 pm

Benefits

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I gotta say, Amex really is a dream with any kind of claim. I've only had to use it a few times and each time it was an incredbly pleansant experience. Each time I hung up the phone and said aloud "I'm a cusotmer for life."

I don't think it's so much a Chase issue as an issue with all these outsourced benefits. It's more about being able to claim it in their adverising then actually delivering on it.

Agree, it's the CHEAPNESS and unfriendliness of the 3rd party insurance companies.
Chubb handles car renal insurance.

Previous post identifies two other different insurance companies:
"
SO eclaimsline says copyright "AGA Service Company" and claimbenefitservices.com says "Asurion, LLC". makes the administrators who review claim confusing."

Chase is NOT a good bank to work with benefits just like Citi Bank who uses Chubb is also terrible paying out.

Previous posts identified

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.