Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]

Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]

Old Jan 17, 14, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
In your original post, you said "but well, if we have to call it 'stolen' for me to get reimbursement, I guess I'd go along with it", which sounds like you are claiming that someone stole it.
Does it?

To each his own I guess.

For someone that firmly believes that a large number of people are out there to scam the insurers, it is probably fairly easy to jump to that conclusion.

For someone that has trust issue with corporations in general, maybe a different story.

In my own experience, I guess I come right down the middle. Most of my dealings with corporations as a consumer have been pretty fair and square, although sometimes you do have to deal with bureaucracy and some red tape.

Anyway, again, the points of my story are more about
1. I was surprised to hear that loss is not supposed to be covered under their purchase protection (although only over the phone, not in writing); and
2. When they ask for certain paperwork that is hard to furnish, it can throw the consumers into a limbo.

And when I'm in limbo, I come here to vent. With that, peace.
Old Jan 18, 14, 11:29 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I had a similar situation as the OP. My wife lost her new ipod on a flight last year (purchased with Chase card). The benefits guide states:

"Benefit Information
• Purchase Protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property .*
• If you buy an eligible item in the United States using your Account or rewards points earned on your Account and experience theft, damage, or involuntary and accidental parting with property within one hundred and twenty (120) days from the date of your purchase, Purchase Protection will replace, repair, or reimburse you up to a maximum of five hundred ($500) dollars for each claim and up to fifty thousand ($50,000.00) dollars for each Account. The decision to replace, repair, or reimburse you will be made at the Benefit Administrator’s discretion."

Bolding is mine.

I took "involuntary and accidental parting with property" to mean lost property. Several Chase CSR's and supervisors agreed with this. But the benefits administrators kept denying the claim. A Chase Customer Service supervisor got on the phone and with the benefits administration dept and couldn't get anywhere.

It took me 3 months to get this paid. If not for this wording in their benefit guide, I would not have filed a claim for a lost item.

About 3 years ago, my daughter's computer crashed shortly after the warranty expired. I filed a claim with Amex... in 24 hours the full credit (what I originally paid for the computer) was reflected on my account. It was a very smooth, hassle-free process.
Old Apr 10, 15, 12:33 pm

This is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth. Bought my wife some Oakley sunglasses for Christmas for around $100 on my Chase Sapphire. We went to FL for vacation and they vanished from the hotel room before she had even worn them once.

So I file my claim via phone. Chase connects me to a third party company.
They tell me I can't submit a claim by phone, they will mail me paperwork which I need to fill out and send back.
I get the paperwork, fill it out, send it back.
Several days later I get an email saying I need to mail back a copy of the purchase receipt and a copy of my Chase bill showing the purchase.
I mail those back (can't submit via email)
Just got an email yesterday saying:

We have reviewed the documents submitted for your Purchase Protection Claim. In order to move forward with processing your claim we are requesting copies of the following:

A copy of the paid receipt showing that the lost item has been replaced. When an item is lost, you would be required to purchase a replacement item within 6 months from the date of the incident. The replacement item must be identical or comparable to the item claimed. The benefit would provide coverage for up to the original purchase price of the item or the replacement cost, whichever is less, not exceeding the maximum amount of the benefit.

As it so happens, my wife didn't want to wait around so she replaced them with the exact same model, and found them on sale for $40. So, they will reimburse me $40. All this time and paperwork simply isn't worth $40 to me. Had I known I'd have to jump through all these hoops, I never would have filed a claim in the first place... which is probably the point.
Old Apr 13, 15, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by robr View Post
Had I known I'd have to jump through all these hoops, I never would have filed a claim in the first place... which is probably the point.
Yep...
Old Apr 16, 15, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
You could also make an argument that if you left the ipad on a plane, and it was not found and given to the airline's lost and found, then it was stolen by someone.
I think this is a reasonable layperson's interpretation. If I set my iPad, phone whatever down somewhere and someone takes it, knowing that it is not their property, then they have pretty clearly stolen that item.
Old Apr 16, 15, 6:49 pm

For those claiming they prefer to use an Amex for purchase protection, only Platinum and Delta Reserve have lost item protection and both of them have a hefty $450 AF.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rotection.html
Old Oct 11, 16, 11:59 am

Programs: DL Silver (MM), Marriott LT Plat, SPG Plat, AA CK, Avis Chairmans
Any updates on Sapphire Reserve purchase protection? A few years ago a new item was stolen, and it was purchased on my AMEX Plat card. Amex was very easy to deal with and with supporting docs, I got reimbursed with minimal fuss.

I'll have a couple of big purchases coming up this year, and trying to decide which card I should use. CSR, Citi Prestige, or Amex Plat. I want a company that will stand by their advertised protection and not try to weasel out of a legit claim.

Does Chase really require you to re-purchase the exact same item? I just looked through the CSR benefits guide and I saw no mention of re-purchasing the item.
Old Oct 11, 16, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post
Any updates on Sapphire Reserve purchase protection? A few years ago a new item was stolen, and it was purchased on my AMEX Plat card. Amex was very easy to deal with and with supporting docs, I got reimbursed with minimal fuss.

I'll have a couple of big purchases coming up this year, and trying to decide which card I should use. CSR, Citi Prestige, or Amex Plat. I want a company that will stand by their advertised protection and not try to weasel out of a legit claim.

Does Chase really require you to re-purchase the exact same item? I just looked through the CSR benefits guide and I saw no mention of re-purchasing the item.
Reserve is prob too new for any DPs. I'd stick w the Plat. Rather have MR with peace, vs UR with worries.
Old Oct 11, 16, 1:12 pm
Community Director

I see folks saying AMEX purchase protection is better. It isn't for items taken on a flight. My husband put his phone into his carry on suitcase, then had to do gate check. He failed to remember to pull the phone. Sure enough, it was gone on landing. He had purchased it less than 90 days so I was confident AMEX would cover it. Not. They had a get out of jail clause that said they didn't cover losses on common carriers.
Old Oct 11, 16, 2:09 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
... didn't cover losses on common carriers.
The exclusions are more specific:

10. theft from baggage not carried by hand and under Your personal supervision or under the supervision of a traveling companion known by You;

13. damage or theft while under the care and control of a common carrier;
My reading is that the phone was not covered because it was in a checked bag.

If the airfare had been paid in full with a Platinum Card it should have been possible to recover under the separate baggage benefit, but high risk items, including electronics, are capped at $250, and a claim must be filed with the airline before leaving the airport.
Old Oct 11, 16, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by lancexfang View Post
Lost a new ipad on a recent flight. It happened to be that I bought it just recently after the retina model came out in Nov. So I contacted Chase to see if their purchase protection would provide some coverage.

Right off the bat they said they only cover damaged or stolen items. Well, in my opinion, I lost it, rather than any one stole it from me. But well, if we have to call it 'stolen' for me to get reimbursement, I guess I'd go along with it.

Then they wanted proof from the airline that I reported it. I did, but the airline (Delta in this case) in this case can't provide a copy of the online form I submitted.

I am trying to get Chase (really not Chase people, it's handled by a 3rd party I believe) to talk to Delta. But I'm not optimistic.

I was hoping it would be a little bit more straightforward. But it's probably by design that this is a benefit that looks good on paper but difficult to use in real life. Meanwhile I don't have much experience at all - this being my first ever attempted claim. So maybe people can tell me what I did or thought wrong...
So, you want them to reimburse you after you show them absolutely no documentation. And you think businesses should operate that way....just pay out any amount to anyone based on a merely what they tell you over the phone? C'mon, if that's the standard you expect, welcome to La La Land!

Originally Posted by lancexfang View Post
Now that you asked, it piqued my interest so I went back and dug out the benefit guide. Here is what it says about purchase protection: Purchase protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property. (bold mine)

I'm no lawyer. It seems to me 'involuntary and accidental parting with property' means losing. But again, what do I know. End of the day, it's not about how I understand it. It's about how the 3rd party Chase hired interprets it.
If that's the language then it is POSSIBLY covered and they will have to pay for it provided you filed a claim with the air carrier on whose equipment you lost it, and provide that claim to the credit card insurance carrier.

Last edited by mia; Oct 12, 16 at 8:58 am Reason: Combined consecutive replies to posts dating to 2014.
Old Oct 11, 16, 8:10 pm

Amex was very easy to deal with and with supporting docs, I got reimbursed with minimal fuss.
They key word is "supporting documents". Obviously, Chase would also pay for a covered claim with supporting documents but the person in who started the thread wanted reimbursement with zero documentation demonstrating the loss.
Old Oct 12, 16, 7:47 pm
FSU

My recent experience was a good one. Bought a new phone, billed to my Tmobile account. Bill paid at the end of the month with Chase Ink card. I dropped the phone, Galaxy S7, the day after I bought it and it shattered. I fortunately had insurance on my account, but there was a $175 deductible.

Fast forward a few weeks later I remembered about the purchase protection. Filled out my claim online and uploaded my phone bill showing the original purchase, payment info, and insurance claim. Two weeks later received a check for the deductible. Very easy process.
Old Oct 12, 16, 10:48 pm

ive used it twice and its been easy. once for dropping a phone and cracking the screen. all i did was fill out the form, send picture of broken phone, and an email quote from some random online phone repair shop. i could have sent them a picture of any phone they didnt ask to verify any serial or imei. everything done through email.

also lost an ipod plus other random items when my car was broken into. form, police report, receipts and one annoying thing was i needed to get a notorized statement that said i had no other insurance coverage for the items(since i believe if the value is over 250 they require that). Got paid. It was pretty easy overall.

you dont have to repurchase anything
Old Feb 13, 17, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold

I bought an expensive North Face jacket in late fall and the strings around the hands and pockets started to fray. It was a terrible product...not sure what happened to the north face brand, but I was not happy. I sent it to Chase for return protection because North Face would not give me my money back (they said they might replace the jacket if I mailed it in, but they were flooded with warranty requests because it's the cold time of the year).

Just got my big fat refund today via check. Nice!

Search this Thread