Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Auto Pay Heads Up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Chase Auto Pay Heads Up

On my new SW CC I noticed the bank set up the minimum payment, to be fair on the Other SW CC they took and were paid the full amount.

It could have happened on any CC, not a slap against Chase...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

How does a bank set up anything that you haven't agreed to? Are you saying that "minimum payment" was the default option, and you did not override it?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EXP, SPG-Plat
Chase Auto Pay Heads Up

You sure you didn't set it up?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:45 pm

Regardless of who's mistake it was, if you call Chase and explain, there's a good chance they will waive the interest fees.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
On my new SW CC I noticed the bank set up the minimum payment, to be fair on the Other SW CC they took and were paid the full amount.

It could have happened on any CC, not a slap against Chase...
I noticed that recently. Chase's default autopay option is minimum payment. The OP must have not looked carefully. Nevertheless, Chase is somewhat sneaky by setting minimum payment as the default option.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by windcloud5
I noticed that recently. Chase's default autopay option is minimum payment. The OP must have not looked carefully. Nevertheless, Chase is somewhat sneaky by setting minimum payment as the default option.
That's not a bad default option for 99% of people, since it avoids late fees and penalty APRs, but doesn't put you out of pocket too much if you didn't intend to pay the full statement balance.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
That's not a bad default option for 99% of people, since it avoids late fees and penalty APRs, but doesn't put you out of pocket too much if you didn't intend to pay the full statement balance.
it's a bad option for 100% of people....interest should never be paid on cc's
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
it's a bad option for 100% of people....interest should never be paid on cc's
Yes, paying interest on credit cards is a bad option for 100% of people. Setting up the minimum payment as the default is not, though. While it doesn't make sense financially, some people don't pay off their entire balance every month. By using the minimum as default, those people aren't out more money than they expected, but they still avoid late fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.