Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by agb1a
can you give some more info ?
It counts as a direct deposit. In my experience any ACH push counts as one.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:12 am
Suspended

Are you trying to keep them from charging the $12/month fee?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Originally Posted by agb1a
With a chase total checking acount, does a paypal deposit count as a direct deposit ? Has anyone tried it , or does anything else count as a direct deposit instead of an actual deposit from an employer/ company ?
Didn't you just post it on Myfico forum?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Yes.

No. It does NOT.

I just tried it myself. After so many weeks of having the deposit coming in from PayPal, I sent them a secure message and they said that your account has not yet qualified for the bonus as we don't consider paypal as a qualifying direct deposit. I know some people will say it does count but maybe they've changed it recently or something. I can confirm it does not count.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Yes.

No. It does NOT.

I just tried it myself. After so many weeks of having the deposit coming in from PayPal, I sent them a secure message and they said that your account has not yet qualified for the bonus as we don't consider paypal as a qualifying direct deposit. I know some people will say it does count but maybe they've changed it recently or something. I can confirm it does not count.
Hmm. I guess I've been doing ACH pushes from other checking accounts recently. Chase must have just stopped counting Paypal. Pushing from other accounts still works though.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Is there any point in keeping a Chase Checking account now that the benefits to the Freedom are gone? I have $1500 sitting in a Total Checking that's been there for a couple years, but I'm moving right now and have some high expenditures, and probably will close that out, unless there's a reason not to.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by roki
Is there any point in keeping a Chase Checking account now that the benefits to the Freedom are gone? I have $1500 sitting in a Total Checking that's been there for a couple years, but I'm moving right now and have some high expenditures, and probably will close that out, unless there's a reason not to.
The benefits to Freedom aren't gone, they've just changed. It used to be 10 fixed points per transaction plus 10% bonus points on base (actually dollars) spend. Now it's an annual bonus of 10% on all points earned (not spend). So if you max your 5x categories, the checking account gives you an extra 3,000 UR points on your Jan/Feb/Mar statement. For a lot of people, the new system is actually better.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by bribro
The benefits to Freedom aren't gone, they've just changed. It used to be 10 fixed points per transaction plus 10% bonus points on base (actually dollars) spend. Now it's an annual bonus of 10% on all points earned (not spend). So if you max your 5x categories, the checking account gives you an extra 3,000 UR points on your Jan/Feb/Mar statement. For a lot of people, the new system is actually better.
Ah, thanks! I generally don't end up maxing, truthfully, though. I usually end up around ~4K/year in 5% categories, which would be a 2,000UR bonus? That's probably worth it.

Appreciate the info.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
No problem. The other thing to keep in mind is that the new 10% bonus on points earned includes points earned through the UR Mall. So people who use the mall heavily will really benefit from the checking account bonus.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:52 pm

Hmm. I guess I've been doing ACH pushes from other checking accounts recently. Chase must have just stopped counting Paypal. Pushing from other accounts still works though.
I just opened a chase checking account assuming that Paypal deposit will cout towards direct deposit. I will know it for sure soon. What do you mean by "ACH pushes from other checking accounts" ? Is this online transfer, say from BofA to Chase account?

TIA.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:22 am

Just got an SM from Chase that PP deposit does not count towards DD. Waste of time. will close the account.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by roki
Originally Posted by bribro
Fast forward six months later, and it appears that the benefits are changing again after 2015. Is the chase checking account worth it now given these new developments?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Saidoh
Fast forward six months later, and it appears that the benefits are changing again after 2015. Is the chase checking account worth it now given these new developments?
I would say you close your checking accounts in 2016 after you've received the bonus
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:31 pm

Does anyone know how much tax gets taken off a $200 bonus? I've been reading through the 1099 form but all I'm finding is instructions on what the boxes mean, not how to find out what you owe.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Riddle350
Does anyone know how much tax gets taken off a $200 bonus? I've been reading through the 1099 form but all I'm finding is instructions on what the boxes mean, not how to find out what you owe.
It's treated as interest and taxed at your marginal tax rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.