Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by nall
So all the legit businesses that Chase actually designed these cards for?
Exactly my point, which is why I said "Set the filters so that anyone who spends >$1k/month at office supply stores gets flagged, lose a bunch of profitable customers who use the card to buy office supplies."
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
True, and it's a tradeoff. Set the filters so that only people who max out their credit limits every month spending only at office supply stores, and then pay it off in full, get flagged as "customer we don't want," and you miss the person who also buys a Snickers bar once a month to avoid being 100% office supply. Set the filters so that anyone who spends >$1k/month at office supply stores gets flagged, lose a bunch of profitable customers who use the card to buy office supplies. There's clearly an optimal balance point. Where it is, I don't know.
Do you honestly believe that Chase would use a program to automatically remove potentially profitable business customers? Do you have any info that would support that? I can confidently say that in my experience of working for a big corporation, there is lots of oversight to firing customers. Sure, software will help flag. However, there is always a review, and the ones that were fired, deserved it. Save the discussions on the innocent victims fired while buying pens for their office.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It is not technically MS because you are not selling the gift cards. But the effect is the same because you could be charging expenses directly at the home improvement stores (as I did for my kitchen reno) instead of milking the 5x bonus for gift cards. Your strategy is well within the T&Cs of the card but that really doesn't matter as Chase reserves the right to shut you down if it decides - in its sole discretion - this is abuse. You can argue with Chase (and us) until you are blue in the face and it will get you nada.. Worth the risk? Depends on how much you value your relationship with Chase and the risk of being closed down. The link above provides stories of people who gambled .... and lost (or maybe not depending on how they cashed in).

Gift cards are sold by merchants with the understanding that most will be used as gifts to a third party. The fact that clever bloggers and their followers have found a way to game the system by purchasing and reselling them (rinse and repeat) does not alter the conceptual framework.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:26 am

Chase Shut Downs & Credit Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-2020

If anyone could comment on the risk of shutdown here. Wanting to apply for a CIP within the month:

3/24 as of June, but some business cards opened very recently
Recent cards - Amex PRG on 3/18, CIC on 5/18, Amex personal plat on 9/18, CIU on 2/19, Amex Blue Biz Plus on 3/19, Amex Green Biz on 5/19
4 total chase cards open - 2 business, 2 personal
800 fico
No MS
At just below 50% credit/income ratio - don't really want to change this right now because my family has upcoming use for the credit.

Thanks,
Heli

Last edited by Heliface; Jun 11, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Heliface
If anyone could comment on the risk of shutdown here. Wanting to apply for a CIP within the month:

Recent cards - Amex PRG on 3/18, CIC on 5/18, Amex personal plat on 9/18, CIU on 2/19, Amex Blue Biz Plus on 3/19, Amex Green Biz on 5/19
800 fico
No MS
At just below 50% credit/income ratio - don't really want to change this right now because my family has upcoming use for the credit.

Thanks,
Heli
Unless you're doing something that you aren't mentioning in this post (like selling UR points), I'm not sure why you would think you are a candidate for a Chase shutdown.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Heliface

800 fico
No MS

Thanks,
Heli
You're not at high risk, but if you're already at 50% of income with Chase credit limits and opened two other Chase cards within the past year, you're not home-free, either, especially if you don't want to preemptively lower the credit limits.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Unless you're doing something that you aren't mentioning in this post (like selling UR points), I'm not sure why you would think you are a candidate for a Chase shutdown.
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You're not at high risk, but if you're already at 50% of income with Chase credit limits and opened two other Chase cards within the past year, you're not home-free, either, especially if you don't want to preemptively lower the credit limits.
Thanks, these are very helpful.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

I am wondering if I am on the edge of shutdown territory but I'm feeling greedy for CIP#4. I have several biz cards from amex and citi, but no other activity in the past 2 years. Credit score ~730, 6 experian inquiries in the past 12 months.

The thing that concerns me is high chase velocity, 5 new accounts in the past 6 months. 12/18: CIP 1, 1/19: SW Biz, 2/19: CIP 2, 4/19: CIP 3 , 5/19: SW Preferred. I am meticulous about lowering credit lines and not carrying balances on any of my publicly visible accounts. I am also tolerant of some risk of chase shutdown, just curious if there is a sense that 5-6 chase accounts in 12 months is a specific indicator of shutdown risk

Last edited by camus; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:49 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by camus
I am wondering if I am on the edge of shutdown territory but I'm feeling greedy for CIP#4. I have several biz cards from amex and citi, but no other activity in the past 2 years. Credit score ~730, 6 experian inquiries in the past 12 months.

The thing that concerns me is high chase velocity, 5 new accounts in the past 6 months. 12/18: CIP 1, 1/19: SW Biz, 2/19: CIP 2, 4/19: CIP 3 , 5/19: SW Preferred. I am meticulous about lowering credit lines and not carrying balances on any of my publicly visible accounts. I am also tolerant of some risk of chase shutdown, just curious if there is a sense that 5-6 chase accounts in 12 months is a specific indicator of shutdown risk
You're not "on the edge." You're standing outside Chase's headquarters with a megaphone daring them to shut you down. It's a miracle it hasn't happened already.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
You're not "on the edge." You're standing outside Chase's headquarters with a megaphone daring them to shut you down. It's a miracle it hasn't happened already.
Haha fair enough. I know it's a bit extreme but after doing a lot of reading it's still very unclear what criteria they use. My current working theory is that automatic shutdowns are bust-out risk based, with some X-factor if you somehow get eyes on your account.

It seems like (at least in the DPs I've seen) that people are pushing 10 new accounts in the past year, and/or carrying high balances and credit to income ratio, or some funny business like returned payment. So as abusive as my approach is to the human eye, it might not run afoul of such automatic processes, given the totality of my credit profile :not thin, total credit:income <.5, no other accounts in the past 2 years, etc.

It's too bad chase won't deny you before they shut you down though.

Last edited by camus; Jun 14, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:56 am

I can see both sides of it. Maybe a rare instance, but what if a person runs several businesses and wants a card for each one to separate concerns? No harm in that is there?

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that they may want more documentation. I would guess there is probably a limit somewhere before they decline, but I can’t see that having 3 or 4 business interests would be hitting that. Maybe it would, I don’t know.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:06 pm

Banned from Chase not sure what banned me

Well unfortunately my most liked bank doesn’t like me in the same way now. Went to get an uber last week to find that my chase reserve card didn’t work. Been with chase since 2013. Credit cards even further back. Credit score 800 plus. Had chase reserve, 2 chase ink cards, and southwest personal card. And many others over the last 15 years or so that we’re closed out by me. Also had my business bank account there and a personal bank account there for similar time frame. My business is reselling electronics. Recently started getting some fairly larger ACH transfers into my business bank account from a new vendor. But also recently started upping my EBay gift card purchases from staples.com. Probably 10 to 15k per month for last few months. Was trying to max out both cards for the 250k chase points. Chase reserve card just used for normal personal expenses around $1000 to $2000 a month. Letter just states they are closing my personal and business bank accounts. The other letter for the credit cards states they are closing them because their affiliate is ending their relationship with me. I’m confused if the gift cards purchasing is what got me banned... been doing that for last 2 to 4 years now but recently stepped it up to max them out. Or if it’s the banking side of things they concerned about BSA or AML or is it combination of both? Banking side never have cash transactions, deposits from PayPal and Amazon and some outgoing wires and payments to credit cards. Gonna have to try to figure out what life will be like without chase in my life... very sad as I won’t be able to get the southwest companion pass in the future now.

Last edited by AZflippinbro; Jun 16, 2019 at 11:13 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:10 pm
Suspended

In all likelihood, it was the huge purchases of gift cards.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:09 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by AZflippinbro
...started upping my EBay gift card purchases from staples.com. Probably 10 to 15k per month for last few months. Was trying to max out both cards for the 250k chase points.
Idiom 'killing the goose that lays the golden eggs', which refers to the short-sighted destruction of a valuable resource.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=900492257
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by AZflippinbro
Well unfortunately my most liked bank doesn’t like me in the same way now. Went to get an uber last week to find that my chase reserve card didn’t work. Been with chase since 2013. Credit cards even further back. Credit score 800 plus. Had chase reserve, 2 chase ink cards, and southwest personal card. And many others over the last 15 years or so that we’re closed out by me. Also had my business bank account there and a personal bank account there for similar time frame. My business is reselling electronics. Recently started getting some fairly larger ACH transfers into my business bank account from a new vendor. But also recently started upping my EBay gift card purchases from staples.com. Probably 10 to 15k per month for last few months. Was trying to max out both cards for the 250k chase points. Chase reserve card just used for normal personal expenses around $1000 to $2000 a month. Letter just states they are closing my personal and business bank accounts. The other letter for the credit cards states they are closing them because their affiliate is ending their relationship with me. I’m confused if the gift cards purchasing is what got me banned... been doing that for last 2 to 4 years now but recently stepped it up to max them out. Or if it’s the banking side of things they concerned about BSA or AML or is it combination of both? Banking side never have cash transactions, deposits from PayPal and Amazon and some outgoing wires and payments to credit cards. Gonna have to try to figure out what life will be like without chase in my life... very sad as I won’t be able to get the southwest companion pass in the future now.
It seems like it was the large ACH transfers that triggered everything. There was a somewhat connected report on DOC about people having their Chase accounts locked when using ACH to fund their accounts. While this is not the same situation here, in the post it mentions that large ACH transactions seem to trigger a security risk alert on Chase's end. Once the ACH transfers triggered the security alert for your accounts, everything else (large giftcard purchases) probably didn't help. The second indicator that this was indeed the cause are the letters you received with one closing your banking accounts and the cc shutdown letter stating that they were closed because their affiliate (banking side) terminated their relationship with you; so once the banking side shut you down the cc's followed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.