Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 8, 2019, 11:33 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mster
My point is that there's no reason to wait for the closure letter from Chase to arrive - the details can be obtained via phone. Multiple data points describe affected account holders being told to wait until they have received a closure letter from Chase, but this is not necessary. Not waiting for the letter to initiate having your closures reviewed can save a significant amount of time.
Let us know how that works for you. Meanwhile, I'll be busy counting how many tens of thousands of URs I'm going to get this month.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scubadu
Part of the reason I hate this overall thread is that almost every post is couched in mystery and vagueness. If one purpose of posting in this forum is serve as a warning to others, the only way it helps is if the details are shared.
I think the consistent lesson is, if you do sketchy stuff, you're more likely to have your accounts shut down.
Xyzzy and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I agree. People want to think they are smarter than Chase. They do things they know are questionable and then act surprised and offended when Chase closes the accounts.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Chase Shut Downs & Credit Card Account Closures: Tales & Speculation. [2019 thread}

Chase has sent letters to some cardmembers regarding misuse of the referrals program.....threatens to close accounts.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...erral-related/
Old May 11, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Chase has sent letters to some cardmembers regarding misuse of the referrals program.....threatens to close accounts.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...erral-related/
Yeah I just read that. I was getting ready to paste the link myself but then I saw yours. Any idea what this is about? They're pretty vague on what causes the shutdown.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
An update was posted at that link, in case you didn't see it. As always, there was more to the story.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Yeah I just read that. I was getting ready to paste the link myself but then I saw yours. Any idea what this is about? They're pretty vague on what causes the shutdown.
Yeah, apparently there are some people who have managed to find a way (shocking, I know) to obtain a greater number of referrals on Chase cards than are normally permitted. I'm not savvy enough to know how one would accomplish this but apparently some folks are.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:29 am

Update on my card closures - total stonewall from Chase Executive Office - whoever they contacted inside Chase declined to provide any information about the rationale for the closures beyond Chase's initial vague "affiliate closure" language.

Definitely not the experience I was expecting going in. Zero details in initial closure letter. Zero progress getting additional details from Chase Executive Office. Hope this data points helps someone.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Update on my card closures - total stonewall from Chase Executive Office - whoever they contacted inside Chase declined to provide any information about the rationale for the closures beyond Chase's initial vague "affiliate closure" language.

Definitely not the experience I was expecting going in. Zero details in initial closure letter. Zero progress getting additional details from Chase Executive Office. Hope this data points helps someone.
Don't know why you expected anything different.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:58 pm

But hey, kudos for coming back with the end of the story. Something that gets missed a lot in this thread.
mster and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

When Chase closes an account, they don't change their mind. I had Chase Sapphire card that I never used and they closed it due to inactivity. I didn't wish to have it closed and its closure had no effect on my other Chase accounts or cards, but no matter how I tried, they would not budge on their decision.

I don't do anything screwy with Chase.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
When Chase closes an account, they don't change their mind. I had Chase Sapphire card that I never used and they closed it due to inactivity. I didn't wish to have it closed and its closure had no effect on my other Chase accounts or cards, but no matter how I tried, they would not budge on their decision.

I don't do anything screwy with Chase.
There are dozens of data points on here, DoC, FM and Reddit of Chase customers having their accounts reopened after closures.

In general it appears *more* likely that one will be able to have their accounts reopened if they are persistent than that they will remain closed. Just looking at all shared experiences in aggregate I mean.

Last edited by mster; Jun 7, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:36 pm

It may work, it may not. If not, your account is still closed. But on the off chance it does, then you get it reopened.

I can’t personally see them reopening an account that had been subject to any shenanigans, but over a misunderstanding then maybe a slight chance.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are dozens of data points on here, DoC, FM and Reddit of Chase customers having their accounts reopened after closures.

In general it appears *more* likely that one will be able to have their accounts reopened if they are persistent than that they will remain closed. Just looking at all shared experiences in aggregate I mean.
It depends on WHY your accounts are being closed, not because the customers are persistent. You SHOULD know why your accounts are being shut down, as well as how the odds might be for reinstatement.

The "shared permanent address" part sounds intrigue and you have not answered repeated questions asked about this implication... just an example.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:14 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Question about an involuntary refund of the transaction used to earn a bonus has been moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ed-1st-yr.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.