Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I didn't give all the details because I clearly mentioned that I gave more details in the reddit megathread. ... In the reddit megathread I clearly say that the IHG application was the trigger. ... Again, more details in reddit thread.
Could you provide a link to the reddit thread? I am not a regular user of reddit and am unfamiliar with its organization. I tried and was unable to find the thread.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rare

Could you provide a link to the reddit thread? I am not a regular user of reddit and am unfamiliar with its organization. I tried and was unable to find the thread.
On reddit.com/r/churning main page, look for "Shutdown Reports" link in the sidebar.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by blitzen

while the is always danger I would think it is minimal as you downgrade so no additional hurdles should come up (CL needed etc).
so you’re saying closing my biz account and PC’ing those 2 cards won’t really trigger a shutdown.

can you please elaborate on your CL needed comment?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jedaero

so you’re saying closing my biz account and PC’ing those 2 cards won’t really trigger a shutdown.

can you please elaborate on your CL needed comment?
i would think you are in the clear. If you upgrade you might need a higher credit limit ( minimum CL for a card can be 10k erc.) as you had and that might trigger a slightly deeper review. But as you are downgrading you shouldn’t run into this hurdle.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:57 am

Unjustified account closure resulting in "unsatisfactory relationship" and blacklist

In June 2016 I applied for and received a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Since I had just moved from Canada to the US in 2015 and had not-so-extensive US credit history (my Canadian credit is excellent), I didn't receive an approval on the spot, but was approved after someone called in to check my details.

After receiving my card, I made a major purchase on it (~$8900 for vehicle repairs, at the official BMW dealership) in order to, yes, take advantage of the "50k points after spending $4000+ in the first 3 months" offer that the card was known for. The transaction was declined on the first attempt, but went through without issue after the mechanic tried it a second time.

The next day, I tried using the card again to discover that Chase has shut down the credit account. When I called customer service (I was unaware of the reconsideration line at the time, I might have been forwarded there but I'm not sure whether it was the same department), the CS rep informed me that the card was cancelled due to me not having long enough credit history, which triggered some sort of red flag. I gently pointed out that my credit history was checked as part of the approval process, and apparently they had no problem issuing the card to me with a 21k credit limit at the time, but to no avail. I decided not to push the issue too hard for the time being, and try again after I've built up some more credit history. Naturally I dutifully paid off the outstanding balance on the card even after the account was closed, and besides converting the points I rightfully earned to United miles after the Chase account was closed, I can't think of any possible angle from which I might be considered to have "burned" them.

Fast forward to today, almost exactly two years later. I applied for an Amazon Prime Signature Visa, and received the rejection in the mail stating that my application was declined due to "Previous unsatisfactory relationship with this bank". Since I now have pretty decent credit history (750 FICO, no missed payments or derogatory marks of any sort), and having learned of the reconsideration line, I figured I would give Chase another shot. I called into the reconsideration line, and was told they can't reconsider this particular application due to the reason it was declined; apparently the "previous unsatisfactory relationship" reason is automatically rejected for reconsideration. I asked if it was possible to look into a general Chase restriction against me, and they said they'll escalate and look into it further. A few days later I received a call and was told that due to having had a closed account in the past, the system automatically declined the application with this reason. Also, they can't look up whether the previous account closure was justified, since the information related to that account is no longer in their system. Lastly they told me that they can't do anything for this application or about the general restriction, but I was free to apply for another Chase credit card at my discretion. Which is clearly ludicrous because according to them, all applications will automatically be rejected with no chance for reconsideration due to an issue they can't resolve, and comes with a credit inquiry ding to boot.

So I seem to be stuck in a strange situation where there's no recourse to correct a situation I had no control over, and which was a result of neither abuse nor ill intent. If anything it was a mistake on Chase's part to approve credit for me, and then after the fact finding me unqualified for it when I actually tried to make use of it. To blacklist me due to their own mistake, and then offer no recourse for resolution, seems blatantly anti-consumer. This is also a story I've heard often enough during my research into this issue that I have to wonder how they're able to get away with having such broken systems that customers can end up in this ridiculous situation, and at the same time refusing to acknowledge that there might be a problem on their side and straight up stonewall customers who seek resolution.

What can I do at this point, besides informing people of Chase's unsatisfactory behaviour? Is there a higher authority to appeal to, another number to call, magical words to open up another part of the reconsideration rep's script, or even some way to talk to a person who can apply reason to the situation rather than what is essentially an automated phone script?

So far it seems like the only thing left to do is file complaints with the FTC and CFPB. There were some mentions that having a Chase bank account with a decent balance may help, but given how Chase seem to treat its customers I'm reluctant to even establish that relationship with them.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
First - this is the master thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...dated-145.html

Second - you may have a better luck if you consult with a lawyer than CPFB. CPFB might work in some extent. However, without knowing the detail (as you don't know anyway), it is difficult to tell what exactly happened and what can the CPFB referral do.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

jl7895's post has been moved into the thread helpfully linked by garykung.

Have you applied for a card issued by any USA bank other than Chase, and what was the outcome?

It's maddening when bank's abruptly reverse the decision to issue a card, but it's not illegal. Chase can decline to do business with anyone, and their decision need not be justified (provided it is not based on a prohibited reason).

Last edited by mia; Jun 30, 2018 at 5:01 am
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
CSP Card

Did you at least get your points for hitting minimum spend? And sad that they may have lost a good long term customer.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jl7895
So far it seems like the only thing left to do is file complaints with the FTC and CFPB. There were some mentions that having a Chase bank account with a decent balance may help, but given how Chase seem to treat its customers I'm reluctant to even establish that relationship with them.
Dont waste your time with CFPB which has not effective in the past and basically is being disbanded under the current administration.

In your situation it may be worthwhile to write directly to the Chase Executive Office, and if you like, copied all the high ranking executives who oversee credit card business. You can find the names in Yahoo finance, just look up JPM stock symbol and the company profile - all the worthy officers names and offices are listed there.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jl7895
In June 2016 I applied for and received a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Since I had just moved from Canada to the US in 2015 and had not-so-extensive US credit history (my Canadian credit is excellent), I didn't receive an approval on the spot, but was approved after someone called in to check my details.

After receiving my card, I made a major purchase on it (~$8900 for vehicle repairs, at the official BMW dealership) in order to, yes, take advantage of the "50k points after spending $4000+ in the first 3 months" offer that the card was known for. The transaction was declined on the first attempt, but went through without issue after the mechanic tried it a second time.

The next day, I tried using the card again to discover that Chase has shut down the credit account. ...
It's not normal banking behavior for a person to apply for a credit card and then charge $8,900 to it on Day 1. That, plus the thin if non-existent credit history, obviously triggered a review.

What can I do at this point, besides informing people of Chase's unsatisfactory behaviour? Is there a higher authority to appeal to, another number to call, magical words to open up another part of the reconsideration rep's script, or even some way to talk to a person who can apply reason to the situation rather than what is essentially an automated phone script?

The time to address this was two years ago, with a letter to the executive office, but that's still the way to go now, if you want to be a Chase customer again. If not, there are hundreds of other banks out there. Why waste your time on a grudge? Chase offers great benefits to its customers; no one is going to boycott Chase because some guy who charged $8,900 on Day 1 had his card closed after a review.

Good luck.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
Second - you may have a better luck if you consult with a lawyer than CPFB. CPFB might work in some extent. However, without knowing the detail (as you don't know anyway), it is difficult to tell what exactly happened and what can the CPFB referral do.
Lawyering up is horrendous advice. Chase and other banks can close accounts for just about any reason. A former customer who shows up with a lawyer is going to remain a former customer.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Happy
Dont waste your time with CFPB which has not effective in the past and basically is being disbanded under the current administration.
Avoiding politics, the problem with CPFB is, like its predecessors, has no mechanism to help consumers informally resolving any disputes in between, while at the same time, CPFB is working on its own agendas in enforcement, i.e. ignoring the complaints.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by joe_miami
It's not normal banking behavior for a person to apply for a credit card and then charge $8,900 to it on Day 1. That, plus the thin if non-existent credit history, obviously triggered a review
A little over a month ago, I applied for and received a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. We had been planning some trips to southeast Asia and after I learned about CSR, I decided it would be a good idea to get one before I actually bought the tickets.

I charged over $12,000 for 2 business class seats on Delta 2 days after receiving the card. The charge was initially turned down by Verified by Visa. I called Visa and convinced them that I, and not someone else, had made the airfare purchase. Visa then approved the purchase and it went through. Then 15 minutes late someone from Chase security called to also verify that it was me who made the charge.

A month later I made a $13,000 for another business class trip to Asia for my wife and I. It was instantly approved.
I think that it could be normal behavior to charge large amounts initially because it make no sense to pay $450 for the card if you are not going to do substantial charging of travel expenses. I have been a Chase credit card customer (IHG, Marriott, Freedom, Amazon) for at 12+ years - never a late payment and every balance paid in full each month.

Last edited by davidlhanson; Jul 1, 2018 at 7:06 am Reason: Correction
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidlhanson
A little over a month ago, I applied for and received a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. We had been planning some trips to southeast Asia and after I learned about CSR, I decided it would be a good idea to get one before I actually bought the tickets.

I charged over $12,000 for 2 business class seats on Delta 2 days after receiving the card. The charge was initially turned down by Verified by Visa. I called Visa and convinced them that I, and not someone else, had made the airfare purchase. Visa then approved the purchase and it went through. Then 15 minutes late someone from Chase security called to also verify that it was me who made the charge.

A month later I made a $13,000 for another business class trip to Asia for my wife and I. It was instantly approved.
I think that it could be normal behavior to charge large amounts initially because it make no sense to pay $450 for the card if you are not going to do substantial charging of travel expenses. I have been a Chase credit card customer (IHG, Marriott, Freedom, Amazon) for at 12+ years - never a late payment and every balance paid in full each month.
I'm guessing you weren't a brand new Chase customer with a very short credit history.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I'm guessing you weren't a brand new Chase customer with a very short credit history.
there is no guessing! the OP literally wrote, it's even in your own quote:

I have been a Chase credit card customer (IHG, Marriott, Freedom, Amazon) for at 12+ years...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.