Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
I'm trying to see if new card applications/approvals are a new trigger for Chase (beside what they consider fraud). The I opened a Chase card and Chase closed my accounts seem to pop up recently on the internet.
New accounts are not a new trigger...refer to #7 wiki of the Chase closed account thread. There are no definitive guidelines to trigger a review of account or a shutdown - only datapoints.

Got a call from the Exec Office yesterday saying that they reviewed the case and they reopened my cards - no explanation given or asked for. Now I'm trying to stay low and avoid anything that triggers another review while still actively (not as active as before) participating in this hobby.
Awesome, and treading lightly is wise.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by joe_miami
New Chase applications have been a trigger for Chase review for at least two years and maybe longer. It's not a "new trigger" at all, nor are post-review shutdowns new. There seems to be an increase in the number of reported shutdowns, which probably has to do with Chase's 5/24 policy and their desire to more aggressively weed out churners.
if that would be true they would have shut me down years ago as my number of cards/ application is down over the last 4 years.
post shutdown reviews are another issue and should be left for another post.
how does 5/24 plays into this as while I was 5/24 compliant I was shut down (aka while it is a chase guideline it has little to do with this).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Troopers
New accounts are not a new trigger...refer to #7 wiki of the Chase closed account thread. There are no definitive guidelines to trigger a review of account or a shutdown - only datapoints.

Awesome, and treading lightly is wise.
while it might now be new I read more and more about it recently. But the internet not always mirror the real life.
just trying to find new guidelines / strategies/ emphasis /..... beside the “fraud” or what they consider fraud MS, gift cards , .... as this was always an issue for Chase (or maybe they got stricter on these triggers too).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

if that would be true they would have shut me down years ago as my number of cards/ application is down over the last 4 years.

There's no "if" about it: It is true. Policies change over time, whether we're talking about banks or airlines or any other business.

post shutdown reviews are another issue and should be left for another post.
Nobody said anything about "post-shutdown reviews."

how does 5/24 plays into this as while I was 5/24 compliant I was shut down (aka while it is a chase guideline it has little to do with this).
5/24 was a clear sign that Chase was aware of churners and is making an effort to ward off and weed out unprofitable customers.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:29 pm

just trying to find new guidelines / strategies/ emphasis /.....
Thats' the purpose of this thread. The datapoints provide insight into exactly what you're trying to find.

ETA: each review or shutdown is unique as everyone's situation is different. The wiki consolidate common denominators when Chase closes account. I advise you to read this thread (and reddit and DoC) thoroughly.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended

nor are post-review shutdowns new.
Right, "post-review shutdown." Not "post-shutdown review."
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:44 pm

joe_miami

please stop responding to my posts. You are trying to give absolute answers where this isn the case. New accounts might be one factor but it became a more important factor etc. unless you work in the risk department of Chase you are just guessing like the rest of us.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

joe_miami

please stop responding to my posts. You are trying to give absolute answers where this isn the case. New accounts might be one factor but it became a more important factor etc. unless you work in the risk department of Chase you are just guessing like the rest of us.
If everyone is guessing, then there's no point in replying.

Taking you at your word, you weren't MSing at Chase, you applied for new non-5/24 Chase card(s) while at LOL/24, you got shut down temporarily, and then your cards were reactivated. There's no big mystery here. The new applications for non-5/24 card(s) triggered a review, as has happened with hundreds if not thousands of other Chase customers. End of story.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:47 pm
jk2

In the light of recent shutdowns from Chase, I'm worrying if voluntarily closing one card may lead to shutdown of the rest.

I was in and out with Chase (means, they closed my account several times in the past) in the past few years. Last year I got igh and ba visa. I renewed igh (and plan on keeping it), but ba visa is not such important. I read here, that some people were shutdown even after converting one card to another, because eyes were put on the account. Am I too paranoid that if I ask them to close my ba visa, they somehow look to my profile, find out about previous shutdowns and close igh card?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended

If you've been shut down by Chase multiple times already, there's no such thing as "too paranoid." I'm surprised they don't simply blacklist people by SSN. Why shut someone down but then let them apply again a short time later? Makes no sense, really.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
If you've been shut down by Chase multiple times already, there's no such thing as "too paranoid." I'm surprised they don't simply blacklist people by SSN. Why shut someone down but then let them apply again a short time later? Makes no sense, really.
Are there success stories of folks getting shut down and then re-applying a short time later? I was under the impression Chase's feedback to folks is "sure, you can apply again but don't expect to be approved" (in so many words) based on folks' conversations with CSRs.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

There are a few, including jk2 above.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Are there success stories of folks getting shut down and then re-applying a short time later? I was under the impression Chase's feedback to folks is "sure, you can apply again but don't expect to be approved" (in so many words) based on folks' conversations with CSRs.
I interpreted jk2 that Chase shut down his accounts and then reconsidered/reopened the accounts.
only read that people are (semi)permanently shut out from Chase .... some had success a few years later other didn’t ( permanent or maybe their time in purgatory not over yet).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton

I interpreted jk2 that Chase shut down his accounts and then reconsidered/reopened the accounts.
only read that people are (semi)permanently shut out from Chase .... some had success a few years later other didn’t ( permanent or maybe their time in purgatory not over yet).
I believe if you go back farther in the thread jk2 was shut down for a couple of years.
What you have seen is when Chase finally let jk2 back in. That's also why jk2 doesn't want to screw it up their the reunion.
jk2 if this is incorrect please advise. Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:11 am

How many people are getting shutdown product changes? Downgrades? Upgrades? Are there any datapoints on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.