Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen

time invested a few minutes here and there .... and no to call the risk department would be really different as that would include a limited timeframe, 30minutes 1h to spare during the workday etc. posting I can do during my commute, coffee break, ....
You can post on FlyerTalk during your commute or coffee break but you can't call Chase? Come on, man.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Chose closed all accounts and now they look open again

Hi,

Chase closed all my accounts (from one day to another) and now the accounts seem to be open again:
1) the "account is closed" vanished
2) one card statement closed and UR points posted
3) got a spend 6k on your BA and earn an extra 6k points offer
Don't want to try right now if they are really open (haven't even gotten the shutdown letter yet so the reversal letter will probably take another week at least) with putting a balance on one of the cards or calling and asking questions (the less eyes look at my accounts the better).
Another fact is that as i was still expecting a new card I checked the chase.com/verifycard website and all of my cards appear.

My assumption is that the shutdown was reversed and I'm back in business > any other method/way I can check?

Don't want to discuss here why they were shut down or how/why they were reopened so please stick to the "is there a reliable way to tell if the shutdown was reversed" (without involving chase).

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread re-opened because there is new information.

Please do not reply to this thread unless you have something HELPFUL to add.

Inflammatory, personal or repetitive posts will be removed.

Please do not post questions, suggestions, comments for moderators in the thread. Use the PM system to contact a specific moderator -or- click the red Alert icon in the lower left corner of a post to contact all Chase forum moderators. Don't be reluctant to use the Alert function. It isn't a negative. Think of it as your Moderator Call Button.

Last edited by mia; Apr 17, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:10 pm
mia

Don't want to try right now if they are really open ...
I would simply try to make a small purchase for, say, an Amazon giftcard, and see if it is approved.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by mia
I would simply try to make a small purchase for, say, an Amazon giftcard, and see if it is approved.
tempted but all my cards appear in the verifycard screen and I don’t want to trigger anything (fraud alert etc.) as I want to tread lightly for a while
best is probably to wait a week or so but it is killing me
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:18 pm

Buy a pack of gum?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Anyhow why do I get the feeling some people are just here to rub it in?
next time a bank f’s you over because of an internal guideline/rule remember that it is all your fault
Just something I've noticed here: blitzen is annoyed with Chase (in my view, rightly so) and wishes to express that annoyance, whereas most responses are focused on "this is what happened and why it probably happened." I don't think the objective of most posters is to "rub it in," but rather to propose explanations for Chase's behavior. I can see how those explanations can come across as sympathy for Chase (they can be read as, "well, you did X, you should have expected that there was a risk that Chase would close your accounts in response"), but there's a difference between taking a moral stance (what Chase did was right, and you are wrong) and trying to explain a third party's behavior (Chase observed that you did X, therefore they applied Y kind of logic that resulted in their decision to close your accounts).

In general, it makes sense to give commenters the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to do the latter and not the former, and for commenters to to be aware that their comments might be misinterpreted as the former, and therefore to try to phrase their comments carefully to reduce the chances of that happening. That would minimize argument and maximize usefulness.
blitzen and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
mia

... all my cards appear in the verifycard screen ....
I don't know what that is. Do you mean they appear as if they were newly issued cards which need to be activated?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't know what that is. Do you mean they appear as if they were newly issued cards which need to be activated?
yes as I was waiting for the IHG card I checked chase.com/verifycard (or a similar address doesn’t work great on my iPhone right now) to see if the t sent it off > but all my cards are shown as if they want me to verify receipt of my cards
1) just a system bug ? As the cards stay as is
2) will they send out new cards with a new exp date?
no idea
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Chase Shutdown trigger

Hi,

Trying to gather more DP to what triggers a Chase CC shutdown. By trigger I mean the reason why it was reviewed in the first place not the reason why the accounts were in the end closed:
- for me it was applying for Chase Credit Cards (first Iberia and then the new IHG)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:18 am

See wiki in the Chase closed my accounts thread.

ETA: the shutdown thread is a good read.
jjmiller69 likes this.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 21, 2018 at 7:40 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:40 am
mia

Moderator action

I have reopened the thread, and merged in a few posts from a new thread. Please write about Chase products, policies and practices, not about other posters.

------------------

Any activity that triggers a card issuer's fraud algorithm can result in a person reviewing all of your accounts. Front line customer service agents do not know how the algorithms work, and anything they tell us is, at best, only approximately accurate. A good CSR is adept at inventing an explanation that the customer will accept because it includes a plausible element of truth, but that's not the same as a full explanation. An issuer's justification for a decision need not reveal their motivation.

Issuers ae concerned about various types of fraud. Are you trying to construct a list?
RNE likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:56 am

I'm trying to see if new card applications/approvals are a new trigger for Chase (beside what they consider fraud). The I opened a Chase card and Chase closed my accounts seem to pop up recently on the internet.

Got a call from the Exec Office yesterday saying that they reviewed the case and they reopened my cards - no explanation given or asked for. Now I'm trying to stay low and avoid anything that triggers another review while still actively (not as active as before) participating in this hobby.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
New Chase applications have been a trigger for Chase review for at least two years and maybe longer. It's not a "new trigger" at all, nor are post-review shutdowns new. There seems to be an increase in the number of reported shutdowns, which probably has to do with Chase's 5/24 policy and their desire to more aggressively weed out churners.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:41 pm
mia

I'm trying to see if new card applications/approvals are a new trigger for Chase (beside what they consider fraud)....
When a new account is opened there is a fraud concern, to verify that you are actually the person who opened it. For example, if multiple accounts are opened in XX days that might trigger an algorithm seeking identity verification. (There's a lot of this going on now at Citi in connection with AAdvantage cards.) This might not result in any contact from Chase, but if it includes a manual review of the accounts the person could notice something else even if they are satisfied that it was a legitimate application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.