Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by points1
Family member did call twice, but the Chase rep would not provide details. Based on the very little info they got we suspect it might be related to sharing the card (with consent). All bills paid on time or early. Any thoughts if they might be black listed. Should they reapply when under 5/24 or wait a couple of years?
How would Chase know if you were sharing the card?

Looking through your prior post, I'm starting to get a better understanding.

I want to combine points, but I'm worried about a shutdown. I currently have 400,000 points from multiple cards (myself and spouse). 2 Kids have close to 200,000 each. Will these large transfers trigger a review and a shutdown? According to the combining points terms this is allowed because we are the same family, same address

This is the clause that concerns me "repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points."
I'm really curious how long a time it took for all the people in a single household to earn 800,000 points. We're the majority of the points from sign up bonuses? Did you also attempt to pool them all in one account?

The terms do state you can transfer to one person who is an authorized user and lives at the same address. Not from multiple people who live at that address. They also state that you can be shut down for opening cards just for the sign up bonus. I'm guessing with 800,000 points there was probably a lot of that going on.

The simple fact that you were concerned about a shutdown before it happened speaks volumes.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Feb 12, 2018 at 12:22 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Family member did call twice, but the Chase rep would not provide details. Based on the very little info they got we suspect it might be related to sharing the card (with consent). All bills paid on time or early. Any thoughts if they might be black listed. Should they reapply when under 5/24 or wait a couple of years?
I have no clue on what you say "share card". Exactly what you mean?

You do know combining points between accounts are subject to strict rules, right?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I have no clue on what you say "share card". Exactly what you mean?

You do know combining points between accounts are subject to strict rules, right?
share card - they asked if one family member had permission to make a charge on the card and the answer was yes. That is why I suspected it could be the reason - just a guess. Combing points is allowed if you are in the same household. I understand that to mean family/address. I have not seen where they mention authorized user or spouse. My prior question about combining points was just because of the warning "repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards" (most people reading this are probably guilty of this - even though everything is legit, with no MS, I just prefer to go unnoticed)

That is off topic though because I don't think it is at all related (points were not combined). Back to my original questions - after an account is closed, do any experts know if there is a time period where it is safe to try again? If this is unknown then the person shutdown will probably just stay away from chase. I will probably still apply when I get under 5/24 (soon) and be conservative
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

share card - they asked if one family member had permission to make a charge on the card and the answer was yes. That is why I suspected it could be the reason - just a guess. Combing points is allowed if you are in the same household. I understand that to mean family/address. I have not seen where they mention authorized user or spouse. My prior question about combining points was just because of the warning "repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards" (most people reading this are probably guilty of this - even though everything is legit, with no MS, I just prefer to go unnoticed)

That is off topic though because I don't think it is at all related (points were not combined). Back to my original questions - after an account is closed, do any experts know if there is a time period where it is safe to try again? If this is unknown then the person shutdown will probably just stay away from chase. I will probably still apply when I get under 5/24 (soon) and be conservative
What possibly made Chase to ask you such question? unusual charging pattern that does not match with the cardholder's profile established at application? But you said all were organic spend? The spend is way larger than the cardholder's reported annual income? because Chase determines the cardholder is not responsible on his spending habit, that was my understanding based on what has been revealed so far. Though I still could not understand what is going in if there is no MS involved.

There is no set rules om how long Chase would forgive the offender. Go back in the history of this thread you would see the time lapse required is all over the place. S/he could try again after at least a year or longer. Not going to harm if it is rejected.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Back to my original questions - after an account is closed, do any experts know if there is a time period where it is safe to try again? If this is unknown then the person shutdown will probably just stay away from chase. I will probably still apply when I get under 5/24 (soon) and be conservative
I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I think it is a YMMV situation. Some people haven't ever been able to get another account from Chase after a shut down. On a few occasions, I seem to remember reading that others were able to open an account later on. But I'm not aware of a rule for it.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
All Chase cards were shutdown today

Folks,

So all of my chase cards (2 Biz and 6 personal including 2 new SW cards) were shutdown today. I believe this was because of 2 SW cards I applied in span of 1 week. I don't do any MS on chase cards except for Chase Ink.
My oldest card (freedom) is almost 7 years old and all other other all almost 2 years old (except for 2 new SW cards).
When spending on my new SW card, I got fraud alert, I called Chase 2 times to get that cleared. I believe that may have triggered the review. Here are further details:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?- NO
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?- NO
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?- 30-40%
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?- NO
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?- NO (not more than 20%)
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?- Its definitely higher than other banks
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) - 2 Chase Cards
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?- No
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?- No
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?- for 1-2 months it might have happened with Chase Ink but chase increased the limit on that.
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? - 50% (Only on Ink), no MS on any other cards.
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? - Don't do BP
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? - Checking and Saving account
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?- No
I was not able to speak with security team today as they closes at 7PM, I will tomorrow. But given the profile is there any chance of my account being re-instated. TIA.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by animesh42001
Folks,

So all of my chase cards (2 Biz and 6 personal including 2 new SW cards) were shutdown today. I believe this was because of 2 SW cards I applied in span of 1 week. I don't do any MS on chase cards except for Chase Ink.
My oldest card (freedom) is almost 7 years old and all other other all almost 2 years old (except for 2 new SW cards).
When spending on my new SW card, I got fraud alert, I called Chase 2 times to get that cleared. I believe that may have triggered the review. Here are further details:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?- NO
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?- NO
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?- 30-40%
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?- NO
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?- NO (not more than 20%)
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?- Its definitely higher than other banks
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) - 2 Chase Cards
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?- No
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?- No
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?- for 1-2 months it might have happened with Chase Ink but chase increased the limit on that.
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? - 50% (Only on Ink), no MS on any other cards.
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? - Don't do BP
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? - Checking and Saving account
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?- No
I was not able to speak with security team today as they closes at 7PM, I will tomorrow. But given the profile is there any chance of my account being re-instated. TIA.
whats your */24 and */12? how many of */12 are chase cards?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BuBu4
whats your */24 and */12? how many of */12 are chase cards?
6/24 (including 3 Business Cards) and 2/12. and 1/12 (Ink Preferred) was chase. And recently I applied for 2 more SW cards.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:27 am

So should **/24 AND **/12 perhaps be taken into account before applying for a Chase card? Or should they have both always been considered as I thought it was just concern over **/24
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by animesh42001
6/24 (including 3 Business Cards) and 2/12. and 1/12 (Ink Preferred) was chase. And recently I applied for 2 more SW cards.
My hunch is your accounts would be reinstated. Please go back up this thread where I posted a dedicated discussion thread from reddit and see the DPs reported there. Chase definitely does not like rapid succession of applying their cards. Had you space your SW card application for 2 months apart, you would not be caught in this aggressive algorithm.

I am very surprised why people still try to get Chase cards in rapid succession after this has been proven a trigger point since early last year, like almost a year by now.

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
So should **/24 AND **/12 perhaps be taken into account before applying for a Chase card? Or should they have both always been considered as I thought it was just concern over **/24
Definitely so. Please read the reddit thread DPs and get yourself familiar of the term "Bust Out Pattern".

You get 2 subjects mixed up. The 5/24 rule is a hardcoded Chase application restriction on certain Chase cards. Failed to meet that restriction, you are shut out from getting certain Chase cards.
The xx/24 is a metric Chase used in their risk assessment model to decide if they should shut you down, that means ALL your cards.
Completely 2 different matters. People really need to get more understanding on how things work to avoid getting into trouble.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 14, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Happy
My hunch is your accounts would be reinstated. Please go back up this thread where I posted a dedicated discussion thread from reddit and see the DPs reported there. Chase definitely does not like rapid succession of applying their cards. Had you space your SW card application for 2 months apart, you would not be caught in this aggressive algorithm.

I am very surprised why people still try to get Chase cards in rapid succession after this has been proven a trigger point since early last year, like almost a year by now.

Definitely so. Please read the reddit thread DPs and get yourself familiar of the term "Burst Out Pattern".

You get 2 subjects mixed up. The 5/24 rule is a hardcoded Chase application restriction on certain Chase cards. Filed to meet that restriction, you are shut out from getting certain Chase cards.
The xx/24 is a metric Chase used in their risk assessment model to decide if they should shut you down, that means ALL your cards.
Completely 2 different matters. People really need to get more understanding on how things work to avoid getting into trouble.
Speaking of getting things mixed up......the xx/12 is a metric Chase uses in risk assessment model for shutdowns. Not the xx/24.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Speaking of getting things mixed up......the xx/12 is a metric Chase uses in risk assessment model for shutdowns. Not the xx/24.
On the reddit thread there were people whose xx/12 seem ok but xx/24 was not, and when they applied the Hyatt or IHG because these were not subj to 5/24, it still triggered a shut down. It shows Chase looks further back than just prior 12 months. Keep in mind that once your accounts are being flagged, it is up to the reviewers to decide whether you should be shutdown or not. There is no written rule to exempt excessive new accounts opened longer than 12 months. It is all up to the judgment of the reviewer. Though I agree an excessive xx/12 is more damaging than an excessive xx/24 but a low xx/12. Personally I would advise cautions.

Bottom line is, Chase, and other banks too, have become much more aggressive in assessing their exposure in credit card debts which now at all time high and the default rate is rising. Hence one needs to keep this backdrop in mind when applying for new cards for the bonuses / benefits. The poster who reported being shut down after getting 2 new WN cards is unfortunate as this mess can be avoided completely.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/cred...cord-high.html

Last edited by Happy; Feb 14, 2018 at 7:47 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:58 pm
jk2

I have 2 Chase cards which are almost 1 year old now. I had a Ritz Visa in the past, that was shutdown about 2 years ago. I want to get it again, applied, but letter came that they couldn't approve the card because I "still have it". I am afraid to call Chase about it, because this is clearly a mistake - card is closed and if I bring up this topic, who knows about outcome - I don't want to loose my accounts. But from other hand, I don't MS on my Chase cards, so it theory, there is nothing to be afraid of.

Did anybody have this problem before (card closed, but Chase does see it as current)? What to do?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
What exactly do you expect to say to Chase if you call?

“You guys shut down my Ritz card two years ago, but could you fix your system, which is blocking me from applying for it again? Oh, and please don’t shut down my other two cards, which you probably don’t want me to have.”
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by jk2
I have 2 Chase cards which are almost 1 year old now. I had a Ritz Visa in the past, that was shutdown about 2 years ago.
Originally Posted by joe_miami
What exactly do you expect to say to Chase if you call?

“You guys shut down my Ritz card two years ago, but could you fix your system, which is blocking me from applying for it again? Oh, and please don’t shut down my other two cards, which you probably don’t want me to have.”
It is not clear to me here whether the poster shutdown or closed his/her own Ritz card or if Chase did. If the poster closed the Ritz card, I see no risk in sending a SM to confirm the status of the card. Wouldn't it be rare for Chase to shutdown a Ritz card, and then allow the customer to open 2 new cards a year later?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.