Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:16 am

Any comments on this situation

Hi all,
I Have had many chase cards over the past 10+ years. Used to churn and MS (cvs VR) but none for 4+ years.

When I first got a sapphire preferred, I didn’t realize transferring points was not allowed and I transferred to and from friends (really, never sold, just advanced points to friends who were getting the card), and chase shut down that account only (late 2012). I appealed without luck but The agent at the time encouraged me to apply to other chase cards. I have gotten many chase cards since. I moved all points to my ink bold without a problem.

i have an active ink bold (avg spend 1k month, only some bonused), ihg and freedom. Hardly use ihg and freedom. Also hold a bank account with them that receives monthly direct deposit. Have a bunch of UR points as well.

my last approval with chase was 2+ years ago.

About 6 months ago, i applied for a chase card -my first in over two years due to 5/24 (which I’m now under), and got rejected for prior unsatisfactory relationship. The same happened this month. I called in and they could give me no more info.

not sure what’s causing this as in between my shutdown in 2012 and now I did get many new cards. Have no history of charge offs or any history with wamu etc...

thanks for any insights
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:10 am

Whenever Chase closes an account they always seem to mark it as previously unsatisfactory account, whether it really is or not.

The next time you want to apply, check the prequel site first or look under my offers. Also, go to a branch and see if there are any pre approved offers. Use those routes first before you apply. If you get denied call recon and explain the situation, they see that your history and realize there were no loses. If that doesn’t work contact the world.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:16 am
RNE

Originally Posted by rgm18
...my last approval with chase was 2+ years ago... About 6 months ago, i applied for a chase card -my first in over two years due to 5/24 (which I’m now under), and got rejected for prior unsatisfactory relationship. The same happened this month. I called in and they could give me no more info... not sure what’s causing this as in between my shutdown in 2012 and now I did get many new cards. Have no history of charge offs or any history with wamu etc...
My insight: It's Chase's prerogative to change its mind. Whatever algorithm the bank is now using flags you.

RNE, admitting that's not very helpful perspicacity, but it is what it is.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by RNE
My insight: It's Chase's prerogative to change its mind. Whatever algorithm the bank is now using flags you.

RNE, admitting that's not very helpful perspicacity, but it is what it is.
Thanks for your insight.

POINTSYAK, currently lookup up the definition of the word "perspicacity" to add to my vocabulary.

RNE and krazykanuck like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:30 am

What do you mean contact the world? I called recon and they said they can’t do anything as they can’t reconsider an account rejected for unsatisfactory relationship...

Is there a chance that if I contact corporate they decide to close my checking and other cc accounts?

Originally Posted by SteveT
Whenever Chase closes an account they always seem to mark it as previously unsatisfactory account, whether it really is or not.

The next time you want to apply, check the prequel site first or look under my offers. Also, go to a branch and see if there are any pre approved offers. Use those routes first before you apply. If you get denied call recon and explain the situation, they see that your history and realize there were no loses. If that doesn’t work contact the world.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by rgm18
Is there a chance that if I contact corporate they decide to close my checking and other cc accounts?
I didn't read much of the text above, but I'll tell you this -

Unless Chase has a logical reason to close your checking account too, they won't. What I mean by that: inactivity, keeping a negative balance for too long, never funding the account, or bouncing checks left and right.

As to your CC account question - it's possible, but unlikely.

Originally Posted by RNE
While 5/24 is known, Chase also uses other algorithms to spot trouble. Since 2008, banks are trigger happy. While there's been less shooting from the hip lately, you still need to make yourself a small target. Five Chase cards in 10 months isn't doing that.
Not to mention the large credit bubble going on right now.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Jan 4, 2018 at 9:41 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I didn't read much of the text above, but I'll tell you this -

Unless Chase has a logical reason to close your checking account too, they won't. What I mean by that: inactivity, keeping a negative balance for too long, never funding the account, or bouncing checks left and right.
Not necessarily accurate. My bank accounts were closed along with my CC. No loses or late payments. Well over six figures on deposit. When asked why, they would never give a reason. Chase only said that they reserve the right to close any account at their sole discretion.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW

Not necessarily accurate. My bank accounts were closed along with my CC. No loses or late payments. Well over six figures on deposit. When asked why, they would never give a reason. Chase only said that they reserve the right to close any account at their sole discretion.
Of course they have the right to close it whenever they want. I think it's unlikely, though. I'm shocked they closed someone's account with six figures on deposit.

How embarrassing or a headache would it be if your employer attempted to direct deposit into an account that no longer exists.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:14 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Of course they have the right to close it whenever they want. I think it's unlikely, though.
I think you're both right. Chase won't close accounts without a reason. The "sole discretion" language simple gives Chase unlimited reasons. And just because Chase won't state that reason doesn't mean there isn't one.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
I think you're both right. Chase won't close accounts without a reason. The "sole discretion" language simple gives Chase unlimited reasons. And just because Chase won't state that reason doesn't mean there isn't one.
Right, one big reason they close or deny accounts is because they're a partial owner of Early Fraud Warning. So if you're a customer and your account is flagged by this system, Chase will close your account without warning. You'll go to log in to your Chase account and it'll say the user ID no longer exists.

I had this issue with Bank of America very recently. Opened a new account with them as part of my new year's resolution, the account was approved, account funded, debit card sent, and then six days later, found out the account was closed when I couldn't log into the app anymore. This is the first I've had of any issues with a financial institution, so I've ordered both my Chexsystems and EFW reports for review.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
EWS might explain a quick shutdown after opening, but not a shutdown of an existing customer.

Chase is known for closing accounts of people with a criminal history, if that somehow comes to their attention, although they won't tell you that's why they did it. Something to do with "reputation management" or "reputation protection."
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall reading somewhere a poster said he had disputes with his neighbor who eventually filed a lawsuit against him. Somehow that lawsuit showed up in one of the reporting system and then Chase found out about it. All his accounts were closed by Chase due to that, regardless the neighbor's complaint was eventually dismissed by the court as without merit. Needless to say the poster was livid on what Chase did, but there was nothing he could do about it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum

Sounds like we are getting about 1/10 of the entire story here.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:34 pm

Participated in Class action and today received check $360.33 covering 44,210 points value 8 cents.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Getiton
...360.33 covering 44,210 points value 8 cents.
I believe you mean $0.008 ( 8/10th's of a cent).
jjmiller69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.