Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by OliverB
1. Spouse had several Chase accts shut down.

2. All cards were shut down approx. 6+ months ago due to (we believe) one-time MS involving credit union. We own it; not looking for sympathy or debate. Cause is not definite but can't think of any other good reason. We should be I

3. We strongly believe that credit union initiated shut down by contacting Chase (long story and irrelevant so not getting into it) Very relevant, the sole reason

4. Chase does not seem to have any record or details of reason behind shut down. Spouse has contacted lending dept several times to inquire (for her own peace of mind) They all claim to be unsure of reason - You're the reason

QUESTION AS FOLLOWS:

My spouse would like to RE-apply for a Chase card ASAP.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
So you never told her it was her card you used to fund the CU? Seems she' not as indiferent as you 1st suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
\. My card is linked to other open accts so I can still transfer the funds. It was actually my wife's Chase card, truth be told, I was an AU on it. The good thing is that I have the same Reserve card and we were going to cancel this one eventually to avoid the annual fees, since she's also an AU on mine. The downside is that this had a much higher credit line than my card, which helped our utilization. I would not have risked this on my own card... my wife was indifferent to her card, so she doesn't mind.

She might not be so indifferent if her cards are shut down because of you wanting to protect your own
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:34 pm

@OliverB, should you/your wife not heed advice of many that it is far too early to apply for new CC accounts just 7 months after the botched HCU offer, make sure that if she applies for new accounts, she should be prepared for it to get shutdown in the next few months with or without any MS activity. I said this because a friend of mine got approved for a Freedom card sometime in Q3 this year after two years of being in Chase's blacklist. She thought she defied the odds and was 'forgiven' when she was able to activate the card and used it for purely organic spend. She got two statements and felt elated she made a lot of 'progress' only to be shut down two weeks before 90 days. She made several calls but not one of the front end reps could tell her the reason for her shutdown and the letter she received later did not give specific reasons except saying it was the bank's decision to end relationship with her.

Main reason she knew why she got on the blacklist two years ago was cycling her business card up to 5 times her available credit and doing WMBP on her personal cards. It wasn't the bank that told her that but she based it on other reports she read online that also caused their shutdown.

It's really up to your wife if she feels comfortable with it as long as she's prepared for any adverse action, which may involve your accounts as well if you have the same address. I think milesperday has articles on how his CCs and bank accounts from the same bank were closed in April 2016 and his wife's CCs were closed six months later; MPD is the undisputed king of shutdowns but he has managed to keep going up to now. I remember his advice was to avoid at all costs eyes on one's account or be prepared for other accounts in your household to get the axe as well. Just keep this mind if you think your accounts are safe for now, may suddenly be put on the spotlight and eventually closed. As long as you're prepared for all these, proceed with what you think is best for you.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
...All cards were shut down approx. 6+ months ago due to (we believe) one-time MS involving credit union. We own it; not looking for sympathy or debate. Cause is not definite but can't think of any other good reason.
Gee, just one little $20,000 MS incident you got caught in.
You don't think that's particularly definite? You suspect there's some other reason? LOL...

My spouse would like to RE-apply for a Chase card ASAP.
In your dreams.

There seems to be an awful lot of continued denial and self-delusion in this story (same as when you first reported it).

You say you "own it" but it doesn't seem like you do.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
@OliverB, should you/your wife not heed advice of many that it is far too early to apply for new CC accounts just 7 months after the botched HCU offer, make sure that if she applies for new accounts, she should be prepared for it to get shutdown in the next few months with or without any MS activity. I said this because a friend of mine got approved for a Freedom card sometime in Q3 this year after two years of being in Chase's blacklist. She thought she defied the odds and was 'forgiven' when she was able to activate the card and used it for purely organic spend. She got two statements and felt elated she made a lot of 'progress' only to be shut down two weeks before 90 days. She made several calls but not one of the front end reps could tell her the reason for her shutdown and the letter she received later did not give specific reasons except saying it was the bank's decision to end relationship with her.
Since he’s mainly interested in the bonus now, I think the timeframe you described might fit his needs. So you probably encouraged him instead of dissuading.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Since he’s mainly interested in the bonus now, I think the timeframe you described might fit his needs. So you probably encouraged him instead of dissuading.
I did not intend to dissuade or encourage him, it is up to him and his wife if they want to proceed with whatever they have decided to do based on inputs from others who had experienced getting shutdown by Chase. They can do whatever they want with no effect on other; they reap the effects of their actions.

Bottomline is the actions we take will mean success or fail for the ones involved and no none else's.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Software obviously keeps track of applicants and whether approved or declined. Once declined, it generally means that a real live person will review applications from the same previously declined (or account closed) applicant and makes the call.

And if that account was flagged for irregular activity, or what the bank feels (erroneously or not) to be an instance of money laundering, odds are they will be declined again (and again).

US banks are monitored by governmental agencies and compliance is as big a deal as it gets. They are not going to waste their time and reputation dealing with small time credit requests from people with iffy ethics.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I currently have the Freedom and the Sapphire reserve cards. Don't do much on the Freedom card and what I do is almost always in the 5% bonus categories.
I do run over $100k annually through the CSR. Lots of travel and dining but also lots of things like insurance, cell bills, gym memberships etc.
I was considering getting a Freedom Unlimited for those day to day things. Then transfer those points into my CSR account for travel redemption.
Anyone have bad experience on this, closed accounts or anything like that
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I currently have the Freedom and the Sapphire reserve cards. Don't do much on the Freedom card and what I do is almost always in the 5% bonus categories.
I do run over $100k annually through the CSR. Lots of travel and dining but also lots of things like insurance, cell bills, gym memberships etc.
I was considering getting a Freedom Unlimited for those day to day things. Then transfer those points into my CSR account for travel redemption.
As long as your income can support that level of spend, I don't see a problem.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Been doing this since I first received my CSR. If a charge does not earn 3x points on my CSR or 5x points on my Freedom it goes on my Freedom Unlimited. With the rare exception of using the wrong card, every charge earns at least 1.5 points.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear

Main reason she knew why she got on the blacklist two years ago was cycling her business card up to 5 times her available credit and doing WMBP on her personal cards. It wasn't the bank that told her that but she based it on other reports she read online that also caused their shutdown.

It's really up to your wife if she feels comfortable with it as long as she's prepared for any adverse action, which may involve your accounts as well if you have the same address. I think milesperday has articles on how his CCs and bank accounts from the same bank were closed in April 2016 and his wife's CCs were closed six months later; MPD is the undisputed king of shutdowns but he has managed to keep going up to now. I remember his advice was to avoid at all costs eyes on one's account or be prepared for other accounts in your household to get the axe as well. Just keep this mind if you think your accounts are safe for now, may suddenly be put on the spotlight and eventually closed. As long as you're prepared for all these, proceed with what you think is best for you.
Personally I believe this is a much bigger issue than occasional WMBP.

When one cycles the available credit, one essentially intentionally sidestepped the credit limit the bank is willing to extend to you based on your credit profile. The bank would definitely feel uncomfortable if you use up all your credit limit every month even if you pay it back prompto, let alone cycling it FIVE times!
AMEX probably is the most lenient issuer when it comes to spending power, especially if the initial credit line is only a few thousands. Other banks are much more sensitive. US Bank and Barclays dont even want to see an above 50% utilization ratio at statement close, fwiw.

The worst thing in OliverB's saga is, he used his wife's card to do it. His wife suffers the consequence while he who did the deed is not affected.

I really dont like the tone of using "we" when it really is only "I, the husband" who did all that damage.

While MPD is the king of shutdown, jk2 on this thread is the miracle boy. jk2 would have kept going if he did not file disputes on his cards after getting back in. Twice too!
jjmiller69 likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 9, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
As long as your income can support that level of spend, I don't see a problem.
My income, supports the level of spend. My credit line on the CSR is over $50k and I never carry a balance
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:27 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by Happy
jk2 on this thread is the miracle boy. jk2 would have kept going if he did not file disputes on his cards after getting back in. Twice too!
still alive - but I don't use my cards in the same manner as I did before.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Good to know you are still in. Keep it this way.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by jk2
Hah I'm about 18 months out. Will test the water again soon
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:04 am

CSR and Ritz closed

I applied and was approved for two credit cards with Chase. 1. A Chase Sapphire Reserve 2. Chase Ritz Carlton. The first was applied for and approved on 10/26/2017 and the second was applied for and approved on 11/06/2017. I informed Chase that I would be traveling in Canada from 11/07/2017 to 11/13/2017. I was offered rush delivery on the Sapphire Reserve and was delivered to me before my departure date. On 11/12/2013 I received a message that my chase card had been removed from Apple Pay. I then logged in and found that both accounts had been closed despite me being on travel. I called Chase and was told that the risk analysis department had closed my accounts without any warning. I had not used more than 15% of my total available credit and was mostly on food and travel. I was also charged the $450 annual fee and had the card less than 10 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.