Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ducksauce
Regarding the apps, I would basically apply for cards if I didn't have any cards I was meeting min spend on. From 03/2016 - 12/2016 total of 6 apps. From 01/2017-04/2017 8 apps. So averaging ~1 app per month over the course of a year.

By giving the "average", its simply trying to reframe it in a more favorable one. 8 apps over the course of Jan - April is a lot of apps.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
By giving the "average", its simply trying to reframe it in a more favorable one. 8 apps over the course of Jan - April is a lot of apps.
Completely fair assessment. 2nd to last app was an IHG app, so if they had such a problem with me applying why approve me with a 9k limit?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:28 am

Completely fair assessment. 2nd to last app was an IHG app, so if they had such a problem with me applying why approve me with a 9k limit?
Maybe they did an audit post-approval, saw that you had 8 opened accounts in the past four month and figured that something wasn't right? I remember when Chase was rolling out 5/24 and one of business card applications got stuck in the pipeline the agent I spoke to wasn't happy at all about my 11-12 application over the span of the past year (distributed pretty evenly).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I see several potential red flags...

You contradict this somewhat below, but if you were really averaging 1-2 credit card apps every month (even for a stretch less than a year), then there's your smoking gun.

I'm convinced that banks don't like to see this as a regular habit. Just my suspicion.

You weren't shut down for MS. You were shut down for listening to bloggers and going crazy with credit card applications ("get this great credit card! next, get this one! Look at all the fun you will have staying in 5 star luxury, here's a photo of me there!!").
I opened up 14 new cards in 12 months last year, 5 of which were Chase cards. Since then, I've moved my main banking (paycheck DD twice/month, majority of my savings with them but slowly moving some of that to I Bonds) to them too, but if this is really a red flag, now I'm concerned. I've since slowed down, only 2 new cards since 9/2016 and an auto loan, but it's not like I didn't hit it hard.

I've quit paying off my card before the statement closes the last couple of months...and wouldn't do it every month even when I was. I would do it, not for CL cycling, but because it helped to keep my spending down once the money moved out of my checking account. Never bought or deposited a MO anywhere with any bank, but I have bought gift cards (98% were my grocery store or Amazon gift cards) with my Freedom.

But all of my spending is basically in bonus categories because, well, I have 18 cards and I can almost always find a bonus category somewhere.

Ugh, should I be nervous? I can sprinkle in some 1%/1x UR spending on my Reserve and Freedom some more I guess. I also just paid $10 in fees for too many withdrawals out of a savings account to them too, so maybe that'll make them have some mercy (I'm actually still annoyed at myself for this).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by travlngeng
I opened up 14 new cards in 12 months last year, 5 of which were Chase cards. Since then, I've moved my main banking (paycheck DD twice/month, majority of my savings with them but slowly moving some of that to I Bonds) to them too, but if this is really a red flag, now I'm concerned. I've since slowed down, only 2 new cards since 9/2016 and an auto loan, but it's not like I didn't hit it hard.

I've quit paying off my card before the statement closes the last couple of months...and wouldn't do it every month even when I was. I would do it, not for CL cycling, but because it helped to keep my spending down once the money moved out of my checking account. Never bought or deposited a MO anywhere with any bank, but I have bought gift cards (98% were my grocery store or Amazon gift cards) with my Freedom.

But all of my spending is basically in bonus categories because, well, I have 18 cards and I can almost always find a bonus category somewhere.

Ugh, should I be nervous? I can sprinkle in some 1%/1x UR spending on my Reserve and Freedom some more I guess. I also just paid $10 in fees for too many withdrawals out of a savings account to them too, so maybe that'll make them have some mercy (I'm actually still annoyed at myself for this).
Maybe a very little but seeing you've stopped opening new cards I think you're ok. Just about all my spending with Chase is in bonus categories. But I feel secure because I'm 3/24 and not opening cards for bonuses and then quit using them. I'm very picky on what I open. A free night no(yes you get points but usually only worth another night), $200-400 bonus no again My last 2 were CSP and 6 months later CSR. $500 is the least I look for. I'm willing to wait for the good ones not the hype. Some times it's hard because nothing is happening and then boom a bunch happen.

Opening cards for the bonus, paying off early and opening a lot of cards in a short period of time make you a credit risk or unprofitable customer imho.
Chase has a history of doing soft pulls to keep track of some customers and it seems to be for these reasons that people get shut down or for going crazy on MS.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:24 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:10 pm

Can someone help me understand something...

I'm a little confused after reading several pages. I just received my Chase Business Ink Preferred card as well as my authorized user card. So my question is can i not use it to make purchases at Walmart, Verizon Rewards, Sam's Club, online shopping, etc.? Or is that considered and no no because it's a business card??

Just a little info I received my CSP a few weeks ago and then Chase Business Ink Preferred today. I already met my required spending ($4,000) on my CSP and was thinking I would use the Ink as my everyday card until I meet the required spending ($5,000).

Last edited by nychad10; Apr 25, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nychad10
So my question is can i not use it to make purchases at Walmart, Verizon Rewards, Sam's Club, online shopping, etc.? Or is that considered and no no because it's a business card??
Chase does not prevent you from using its cards for any particular retailers or services.

However, AFAIK - the 2 main reasons Chase closing down cards and ban customers are MS (manufactured spending) and risky pattern from bank side.

Keep in mind - Chase now knows how you spend your money, given the advancement of technology. So when you use your card, you should ask yourself - is this an item that Chase may ding you? For example, if you have an online store that primarily sell new undergarment, and your source of inventory are places like Ross, Marshall, etc., then it is appropriate to use a business card. Otherwise, it will sound strange when you use a business card for undergarment.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
I received a secure message from Chase (without reference to a particular account) that business cards are only to be used for business expenses. This confounded me because:

1. I really do only use my INK for business expenses, most of which are office supplies (no gift cards) and cell and cable bills for my office.

2. I do engage in the opposite of their secure message. I do use my Sapphire Reserve big time for business purposes.

So I am a little concerned. Another thing I am worried about is I often pay
my Reserve card balance off 3 times a month if only for the intention of keeping my credit score high (I know Chase reports outstanding balances mid-cycle). I gather this not a good idea ?

Any thoughts, comments on the above would be appreciated!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:29 am

Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
NO

Did you sell UR points to someone?
NO

Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
15% (freedom)

Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
NO

Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
NO

Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
40k in CL with chase 20k in CL among other banks

Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
Apply for 1 maybe 2 cards a month if i have no cards that im doing min spend on

If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?

Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
Yes see post below spiked this month

Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
NO

Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
<4k in past 2 years

How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?

Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
None

Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?

CS has been betwen 720-750 steady over the year. 0 debt, average 1 new card every 2-3 months.

Two of my chase cards didn't work last night so I called Sapphire Reserve line. Was told my account was canceled in feb even though I've been using my cards since then (I think the rep misspoke but still weird). They told me I would need to speak to senior support who won't be available until 9 AM EST this morning.
Info about me 40k in CL across 4 cards with chase (cf, cfu, csr, rc, hyatt, ihg). I've done <5k ms across all cards in 2 years (never depo MO into chase, no cash deposits either), never cycled CL, and paid balance before statement date to keep utilization down. Income is ~150k. The only thing I can think of that may have triggered this is I put a ton of spend across different cards last week. 3.5k for a friends bday party at a club, bottle service/vip area (which everyone chipped in to pay for anyway), 3k for new furniture, 600 prepay of car ins, and 1k for a couple wedding gifts.
I have a chase checking account which used to be my main checking account, but with no branches withing 20+ miles I moved over most of my money elsewhere. Just keep the minimum in my acct + have 2-3k in direct deposits coming in per month.

Addtional information:
Checking and savings acct 3 years (avg balance 30k till I moved now just keep minimum in each). Cf 4/16, csp(pced recently to cfu in feb this year) 7/16, csr 10/16. Ritz 2/17, Hyatt 2/17. Ihg 4/5. No, only deposits into my account were checks, work direct deposits, dividend distributions. Aaoa is about 2 years with oldest card being 10yrs. Credit utilization always under 5%, 0 derogatory marks, 100% payment history and 13 credit cards total. Ck score of 720.

Update: Spoke to chase rep, they said the closure was due to too many open cards with them, not enough credit information, and too many inquiries. They said they would look into reconsideration after I gave them a bunch of additional information about my financials + recent purchases. They also clarified account was cancelled 4/17.

Update 2: I've received the cancellation letter for all my cards. Says exactly the above as the reasons for cancellation in addition to saying I have 30 days to use or transfer my points or lose them.
Update:

Chase called me this morning and told me all my counts were reinstated WOOHOOO! So my guess is that it was the spike in purchases + new applications. Imagine I got bailed out due to the additional financial information I provided and some context for the large purchases (plus i had made sure everything got paid off immediately).
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:32 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Update:

Chase called me this morning and told me all my counts were reinstated WOOHOOO! So my guess is that it was the spike in purchases + new applications. Imagine I got bailed out due to the additional financial information I provided and some context for the large purchases (plus i had made sure everything got paid off immediately).
Nice going! That is a data point that may give others hope.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Nice going! That is a data point that may give others hope.
Cliffs: Be really nice, have lots of money, and damn good explanations for anything that might look suspicious.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Chase does not prevent you from using its cards for any particular retailers or services.

However, AFAIK - the 2 main reasons Chase closing down cards and ban customers are MS (manufactured spending) and risky pattern from bank side.

Keep in mind - Chase now knows how you spend your money, given the advancement of technology. So when you use your card, you should ask yourself - is this an item that Chase may ding you? For example, if you have an online store that primarily sell new undergarment, and your source of inventory are places like Ross, Marshall, etc., then it is appropriate to use a business card. Otherwise, it will sound strange when you use a business card for undergarment.

OK I understand what you're saying about using the card for any particular retailers or services. I guess my concern is that I was going to use it as my everyday card as well as for my business.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by worldspan
Another thing I am worried about is I often pay
my Reserve card balance off 3 times a month if only for the intention of keeping my credit score high (I know Chase reports outstanding balances mid-cycle). I gather this not a good idea ?
Why do you need to do it? Not commenting that accuracy, assuming what you say is true, your monthly balance has limited impact to your credit score.

Take the reminder seriously. If Chase wants to close your accounts, it will be unannounced.

Originally Posted by nychad10
I guess my concern is that I was going to use it as my everyday card as well as for my business.
You can use it as your everyday "business" card.

Again - what Chase is doing now is ding what you have bought, not where you buy the stuffs.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:27 pm

I received a secure message from Chase (without reference to a particular account) that business cards are only to be used for business expenses. This confounded me because:

1. I really do only use my INK for business expenses, most of which are office supplies (no gift cards) and cell and cable bills for my office.

2. I do engage in the opposite of their secure message. I do use my Sapphire Reserve big time for business purposes.

So I am a little concerned. Another thing I am worried about is I often pay

Sorry, but the audacity of Chase continues to astound. I can't really blame them. They make billions of dollars a year and don't really need the pittances they make from us.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:58 pm

[/QUOTE]You can use it as your everyday "business" card.

Again - what Chase is doing now is ding what you have bought, not where you buy the stuffs.[/QUOTE]

garykung

As you can tell from my questions I'm really new at the rewards cards.
I get that I can buy whatever I want with my CSP card. But I'm not sure on what I can or mainly can't do with the Business Ink card. My business is selling on eBay and Craigslist So what would be some examples of what I shouldn't buy?

Thank you helping me understand all this.

I just received my CSP and Business Ink and I don't want to lose either..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.