Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:40 pm

So what's the story when you get all of your cards closed out for MS? Is that automatic blacklist, and if so, for how long? Is there any reason to bother calling lending to discuss and has anyone had that conversation before; what avenue did it take, if so?

BTW, I should clarify for readers that Chase was tipped off by the financial institution and would not have flagged my transaction otherwise. I would regularly put large amounts of spend on the card though; perhaps not 20K in volume, but high by average standards. I'd had the cards for approx. 4-5 years. The transaction went unnoticed for an entire month until the bank contacted Chase to inform. It was stoolies at the bank and not the transaction itself that raised flags, hehe.

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 10, 2017 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by OliverB
So what's the story when you get all of your cards closed out for MS? Is that automatic blacklist, and if so, for how long? Is there any reason to bother calling lending to discuss and has anyone had that conversation before; what avenue did it take, if so?

BTW, I should clarify for readers that Chase was tipped off by the financial institution and would not have flagged my transaction otherwise. I would regularly put large amounts of spend on the card though; perhaps not 20K in volume, but high by average standards. I'd had the cards for approx. 4-5 years. The transaction went unnoticed for an entire month until the bank contacted Chase to inform. It was stoolies at the bank and not the transaction itself that raised flags, hehe.
From what I have read on and off on this thread, the people that answer the phone don't have the authority to overturn the decision that has already been made. So I would think it would be a waste of time to call lending.

The last paragraph must be frustrating for you, but it doesn't matter to Chase. From their perspective, they have closed the account, and that's it. The decision has been made. They don't have to give you the opportunity to protest. They have the right to unilaterally close your accounts at any time for any reason. And they don't have to tell you why.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:05 am

I guess your only option might be writing a letter to the executive office to plead your case, but I doubt you would receive a non-canned response with zero details.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:02 am

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Stoolies at the bank?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Stoolies at the bank?
It's a long story. To keep up with it you would have to go back quite a few pages here and also read 6 pages in the MS forum.
Short story. He or his wife opened a CSR and Ink for the 180,000 points in her maiden name.
They live in CA and used a Mi. CU to open an account with 20K deposits using above cards. He told them they was thinking of moving to Mi. The deposit was in her name and her CC's. The CU account was in his name.
The CU ok'd it but then froze the account. Probably got cold feet because of 20K and not sure where it came from and the 1st transaction was a $200 ATM withdrawal in CA? They probably notified Chase of the unusual circumstances.
Now it appears Chase has shut down both of their accounts? CU refunded money to Chase CC's so points probably didn't post.
Probably a lot more but this was the short version.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:27 am Reason: correction on pages
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
It's a long story. To keep up with it you would have to go back quite a few pages here and also read 6 pages in the MS forum.
Short story. He or his wife opened a CSR and Ink for the 180,000 points in her maiden name.
They live in CA and used a Mi. CU to open an account with 20K deposits using above cards. He told them they was thinking of moving to Mi. The deposit was in her name and her CC's. The CU account was in his name.
The CU ok'd it but then froze the account. Probably got cold feet because of 20K and not sure where it came from and the 1st transaction was a $200 ATM withdrawal in CA? They probably notified Chase of the unusual circumstances.
Now it appears Chase has shut down both of their accounts? CU refunded money to Chase CC's so points probably didn't post.
Probably a lot more but this was the short version.

It sounds like this CU was letting them fund a checking account with the chase credit cards and then called chase to inform them. That was horrendously unwise.

Shouldn't have any issue meeting minimum spends on the Ink or CSR, could even do it organically. Would never risk my present and future relationship with chase over two sign up bonuses, which will likely not even be given. Ouch.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
The other "issue" was that the CU policy was to only accept $1,500 (if I recall correctly) via CC. For some reason the employee at the CU accepted the $20K CC deposit. I am sure that people at the CU noticed the big CC funding and started doing an investigation. From there things went down hill for everyone and it would up having the CU contact Chase.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
It sounds like this CU was letting them fund a checking account with the chase credit cards and then called chase to inform them. That was horrendously unwise.

Shouldn't have any issue meeting minimum spends on the Ink or CSR, could even do it organically. Would never risk my present and future relationship with chase over two sign up bonuses, which will likely not even be given. Ouch.
Originally Posted by deant
The other "issue" was that the CU policy was to only accept $1,500 (if I recall correctly) via CC. For some reason the employee at the CU accepted the $20K CC deposit. I am sure that people at the CU noticed the big CC funding and started doing an investigation. From there things went down hill for everyone and it would up having the CU contact Chase.
Yes I think both of these are true. It worked out very bad for those involved.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Yes I think both of these are true. It worked out very bad for those involved.
From what being told, the wife is the one who has no idea what is done to her accounts which now are shut down by Chase.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jk2
points will post, don't worry. It wouldn't be a case few years ago, though.
sad to say for OliverB, it didn't post since the CU reversed $19,800 to Chase.

does anyone know if Chase will write off that $200 that OP withdrew now that they have closed all of his and his wife's CC accounts? OP thinks it's a farewell gift from Chase. After what transpired causing all their accounts shutdown, will Chase not charge cash advance fee with interests compounded daily like they do on cash advance transactions? This will be interesting should Chase give a "farewell gift" that OP considers it is.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Mamibear

does anyone know if Chase will write off that $200 that OP withdrew now that they have closed all of his and his wife's CC accounts? OP thinks it's a farewell gift from Chase. After what transpired causing all their accounts shutdown, will Chase not charge cash advance fee with interests compounded daily like they do on cash advance transactions? This will be interesting should Chase give a "farewell gift" that OP considers it is.
I highly doubt he will receive any gift. To my knowledge, anytime you have a card closed, you still owe the outstanding balance. Not that I have any experience with this.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
I highly doubt he will receive any gift. To my knowledge, anytime you have a card closed, you still owe the outstanding balance. Not that I have any experience with this.
The "gift" if I understand it correctly, refers to the UR pts earned on the $200 which the Credit Union did not return as OliverB has withdrawn it via ATM shortly after funding the account with $20K from his wife's card.
OliverB thought he would get 200 UR pts as a parting "gift" from Chase.

Given the bank deposit funding is made with the Chase CC, would Chase consider that as a Cash Advance?

Therefore Mamibear wonders, would Chase actually charge the Cash Advance fee + Interest on either the $200 or the full $20K, since it really is a disguised Cash Advance? If so, then the "gift" would take a nasty turn - as you said, any amount owed at account closing, still needs to be paid...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:12 am

That $200 that OliverB withdrew from HCU soon as he thought his deposits cleared may possibly cause issues later. From what he posted in his thread, only $19,800 was refunded to Chase which leaves the $200 cash that he owes Chase now since Chase allowed the full $20K to be deposited to his HCU account before they found out it was a cash advance transaction after the alert from CU. HCU subtracted the $200 he withdrew thereby, passed on the debt to Chase. Will Chase consider that as OP's debt or is it going to be written off even if they know this was clearly a cash advance transaction?

Now, if he got 20,000 UR (which I doubt) on top of the $200 already in his pocket, that's a generous "farewell gift" from Chase although I'd be leery if they'd write off $200 owing to OP's "great relationship" with them.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That $200 that OliverB withdrew from HCU soon as he thought his deposits cleared may possibly cause issues later. From what he posted in his thread, only $19,800 was refunded to Chase which leaves the $200 cash that he owes Chase now since Chase allowed the full $20K to be deposited to his HCU account before they found out it was a cash advance transaction after the alert from CU. HCU subtracted the $200 he withdrew thereby, passed on the debt to Chase. Will Chase consider that as OP's debt or is it going to be written off even if they know this was clearly a cash advance transaction?

Now, if he got 20,000 UR (which I doubt) on top of the $200 already in his pocket, that's a generous "farewell gift" from Chase although I'd be leery if they'd write off $200 owing to OP's "great relationship" with them.
The refund posted before the statement closed. So I doubt he got the 20K UR pts he was hoping for. Apparently he has done similar charge / return / close card thing as he said one of the closed UR account had a -9500 pts balance - that "nobody cares". So from that piece of info, I would guess that he once had an UR earning card, once the points have posted and he transferred the pts out, he did a return on the merchandises bought that earned the pts (now already transferred out), As a result Chase clawed back the UR pts associated with the return. He cleared the credit balance by way of either getting a refund check or transferring it to another active Chase card. Then he closed the card, leaving the associated UR account with the -9500 pts balance.

In this final act, apparently there would be no 20K UR pts earned. Me too, am interested to learn HOW Chase would treat that $200 the HCU had refunded due to it was already withdrawn by OliverB from an ATM in California.

Though I suspect OliverB would not come back to update us.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

In this final act, apparently there would be no 20K UR pts earned. Me too, am interested to learn HOW Chase would treat that $200 the HCU had refunded due to it was already withdrawn by OliverB from an ATM in California.
I'm guessing that account closed with a -$200 balance which he would have to repay. If not, I'd expect Chase to put a mark on his ChexSystems file for account closure with a negative balance the same way someone else could have their account closed for huge negative balance due to a bunch of overdraft fees. (Assuming he had a Chase bank account that was also closed when they severed the relationship).

Last edited by MDJennings; Apr 13, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.