Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:39 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See also these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ted-chase.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ted-chase.html
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm new to this thread. Found it because I was reading through the 2015 Shutdown Thread and it was referenced. After a couple days of picking my way through I'm only on page 3 of the Shutdown thread. Now this one has 25 pages. I'm trying to do my homework here but can someone please help? I was on page 1 of this thread and wondered, should I go 25 to 1 instead of 1 to 25? Are the Wiki like "Cliffnotes"?

What I'm trying to learn seems the same as many others. How much is too much? Our local Chase branch woos and coddles us. Today was the first time I read "Don't bank with Chase and have their CC's". What??? I thought that was being a well-rounded customer.

So back to my primary question. . .do you read threads end to beginning? How far to you go back in dates. . .6 months, a year?

Thanks for any tips.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I'm new to this thread. Found it because I was reading through the 2015 Shutdown Thread and it was referenced. After a couple days of picking my way through I'm only on page 3 of the Shutdown thread. Now this one has 25 pages. I'm trying to do my homework here but can someone please help? I was on page 1 of this thread and wondered, should I go 25 to 1 instead of 1 to 25? Are the Wiki like "Cliffnotes"?

What I'm trying to learn seems the same as many others. How much is too much? Our local Chase branch woos and coddles us. Today was the first time I read "Don't bank with Chase and have their CC's". What??? I thought that was being a well-rounded customer.

So back to my primary question. . .do you read threads end to beginning? How far to you go back in dates. . .6 months, a year?

Thanks for any tips.
There is no sub for reading as that is the only way to pick up the data points. But there are more efficient ways of reading.

For a new topic I would read the first 10 pages to get an understanding why such thread exists, and then from the end back up to the minimum 6 months to pick up the latest.

Also it is a good practice to copy/paste something jumps out to you while reading to a note pad of some sort and then later refer back to it - because I am sure unless one has photographic memory, one would inevitably find it fairly confusing after reading pages of various threads without taking down some notes as one reads along.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Mortgasm
Piggybacking on LivelyFLs work to identify account closures, I went a step further and outlined reasons identified for the closure.

The willingness to be forthcoming with details vary a lot by poster, so it's not possible to make any certain conclusions. But this was helpful for me as I refine my Chase strategy.

1 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
55 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
80 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - (not a closure)
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 newcomr - checking
182 thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - little info
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxing UR 5x rewards on freedom, Ink Plus, Ink Bold. Left other chase accounts open.
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, cashier's check, (Credit cards not closed yet)
762 - knopfler - checking closed (Credit cards not closed yet)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Thanks this was a lot of work.

I looked through it a couple times. When I assessed most of them there was activity I knew I wouldn't be doing. Here are my questions that came up while looking at the list.

" 656 - I can see for miles - Maxing UR 5x rewards on freedom, Ink Plus, Ink Bold. Left other chase accounts open."

I don't understand Chase's complaint here, unless, to max the UR rewards the person had to spend their CL multiple times in a billing period. Otherwise, I see Chase reneging on the opportunity they offer with their cards. Chase says you can get up to 5x in certain categories and then when you do they close the account? On the surface that looks rather unjust.

And this one :"718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)"

Does that mean traded UR points with someone else for cash or goods or traded with UR partner (like Hyatt). Again, if that's the case Chase offers it as a perk. Why a penalty?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by David_
There wasn't much convincing to do.

Regular credit CSR has no idea why my account was locked.
Fraud prevention had no idea why my account was locked.
Private client banker had no idea why my account was locked.
Level 2 CSR that private banker called had no idea why my account was locked.
Level 3 CSR that private client banker was escalated to had no idea why my account was locked but said that when it happens it is FOREVER.
Chase EO had no idea why my account was locked and could not unlock it.

Chase EO (level 2?) had no idea why my account was locked but said they would unlock it. Went through the usual security questions and was verified. They tried to kick me back to level 2 but apparently that rep had failed their security check and was locked out of their system. Got kicked around multiple departments at home and abroad. Finally got on with a senior Chase Online rep who said they could unlock the account. They were unable to do it and put me on hold while a supervisor looked at it. Supervisor came back on with me and said they were still looking over my account notes. Eventually they unlocked the account and I was good to go.

The level 2 EO rep called me back the next day and I told them my issue was resolved. Didn't bother to ask about the checking account.
This is a bit of old news but now that it's resolved and history of your credit card business was fully reviewed, how has it changed your current CC usage? Did you open checking with new bank?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:05 am

More questions:

Let's just take Chase as an example since we're in the Chase closure thread.

So Chase does business with travel hacking bloggers. It's obvious that Chase can read the blogs to see the advise of credit card sign up bonuses, stacking deals, maximizing category spending, etc. In other words, Chase knows who they're dealing with and pays these people to find customers. Chase offers specific bonuses as "come ons" in order to get customers to use their cards.

Now the customers use the cards to add to their sign-up bonuses with category spending. Chase has set limits to the category bonus allowable either in quarters or annually. In a post above I asked what is the problem with being within the limits to the category bonuses even if it's to the max.?

Now the next question is why there's a problem with gift cards? If I can purchase a Bed, Bath & Beyond card for a wedding shower why can't I gift it to myself? Let's use this example, my daughter received many gift cards at her wedding shower. She combined the value and they were able to use it for various expenses to setting up their new home. Why can't I gift myself by using my CC to buy VGC's>BB I can pay my house contractor for some new siding because they don't take CC's? What's the difference? How does it differ from gifting myself with a new suit at Macy's during department store bonus time? Why do these VGC have to be masked by other purchases so $505.95 doesn't shoot off the page?

Anyone else up at 3 a.m. wondering about this?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:45 am

More questions:

So Chase does business with travel hacking bloggers. It's obvious that Chase can read the blogs to see the advise of credit card sign up bonuses, stacking deals, maximizing category spending, etc. In other words, Chase knows who they're dealing with and pays these people to find customers. Chase offers specific bonuses as "come ons" in order to get customers to use their cards.

Now the customers use the cards to add to their sign-up bonuses with category spending. Chase has set limits to the category bonus allowable either in quarters or annually. In a post above I asked what is the problem with being within the limits to the category bonuses even if it's to the max.?

Now the next question is why there's a problem with gift cards? If I can purchase a Bed, Bath & Beyond card for a wedding shower why can't I gift it to myself? Let's use this example, my daughter received many gift cards at her wedding shower. She combined the value and they were able to use it for various expenses to setting up their new home. Why can't I gift myself by using my CC to buy VGC's>BB I can pay my house contractor for some new siding because they don't take CC's? What's the difference? How does it differ from gifting myself with a new suit at Macy's during department store bonus time? Why do these VGC have to be masked by other purchases so $505.95 doesn't shoot off the page?

yea, me too. The limits chase imposes on office supply stores defines their risk so I see it the same way you do. But, I guess one thing is that if you have an Ink and do 80+% of your annual spend at staples it's obvious what you're doing. Should chase care, only they can answer that? If you spend 55K per year on your ink and 50K of it is at Staples, is Chase profiting off you? Individual situations like other chase accounts and years of relationship come into play as well.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:13 am

Chase is under no obligation to keep you as a customer.

It's right there in the T&C. The same as you are under no obligation to continue to use your Chase credit card after you've met a minimum spend.

A credit card relationship is a two-way street.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
yea, me too. . . . If you spend 55K per year on your ink and 50K of it is at Staples, is Chase profiting off you? Individual situations like other chase accounts and years of relationship come into play as well.
Surely they're bankers and wouldn't offer 5X unless they were still going to profit. Especially with a $50K limit. Besides a small profit from the 5x categories, as opposed to the 1x categories, how does the cycle closing date and due date benefit the bank? They must have a timeframe where they hold the money to draw interest before paying off the businesses where you charged.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More questions:

You can argue however you like on how unreasonable Chase is, (as to why you cannot do this and that, and why the banks care) but you forget a very important fact - it is You who beg Chase (or any other bank) to let you have their cards so you can reap (abuse) the benefits. Chase (or any other banks) can do whatever how it sees fit when an account is being flagged as it is clearly written in the agreement you agree to when opening an account with a bank - both sides have the right to terminate the account At Will At Any Time.

Therefore, your energy should be spent on How Not to put your account in danger - the work done by others have given you a great help. You can deduce it whichever way you want but please avoid the mentality to think "Chase is unreasonable, etc etc" For such thoughts would not get you any far - it is evident on your posts to tell a poster to call (completely unproductive and harmful in current environment), and claimed how you would tell the Chase reps why you wanted 3 Chase cards - right before the cruel fact that you failed your recon calls with 2 reps and were denied a new Chase card - then you proclaimed "Petty. Chase. Petty."

Ask yourself - who needs whom more? You need Chase more or Chase need you more?

You really need to examine your thoughts and change the mentality if you are going to engage in this hobby in today's environment when banks are NO LONGER wooing credit card customers like a few years ago.

As for Trade - points sent to Travel Partners are NOT called a "Trade" - it is called TRANSFER.

You may also want to get familiar to the rules on UR points - there are STICKIES on the topic. Misuse your UR points is a recurring cause of account closures over the years.

Originally Posted by awval999
Chase is under no obligation to keep you as a customer.

It's right there in the T&C. The same as you are under no obligation to continue to use your Chase credit card after you've met a minimum spend.

A credit card relationship is a two-way street.
This!

Last edited by Happy; Oct 22, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely they're bankers and wouldn't offer 5X unless they were still going to profit. Especially with a $50K limit. Besides a small profit from the 5x categories, as opposed to the 1x categories, how does the cycle closing date and due date benefit the bank? They must have a timeframe where they hold the money to draw interest before paying off the businesses where you charged.
It does not work this way. The banks do NOT pay the merchants directly in the majority of cases.

This should give you an idea on how the whole system works. It is an animated display, while very basic and simple, it is very Educational.
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...essed-1275.php

Besides with the Fed rate is 0 or actually negative, banks dont earn anything in their excess cash.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You can argue however you like on how unreasonable Chase is, (as to why you cannot do this and that, and why the banks care) but you forget a very important fact - it is You who beg Chase (or any other bank) to let you have their cards so you can 1. reap (abuse) the benefits. Chase (or any other banks) can do whatever how it sees fit when an account is being flagged as it is clearly written in the agreement you agree to when opening an account with a bank - both sides have the right to terminate the account At Will At Any Time.

2. Therefore, your energy should be spent on How Not to put your account in danger - the work done by others have given you a great help. You can deduce it whichever way you want but please avoid the mentality to think "Chase is unreasonable, etc etc" For such thoughts would not get you any far -3. it is evident on your posts to tell a poster to call (completely unproductive and harmful in current environment), and claimed how you would tell the Chase reps why you wanted 3 Chase cards - right before the cruel fact that you failed your recon calls with 2 reps and were denied a new Chase card - then you proclaimed "Petty. Chase. Petty."

Ask yourself - who needs whom more? You need Chase more or Chase need you more?

You really need to examine your thoughts and change the mentality if you are going to engage in this hobby in today's environment when banks are NO LONGER wooing credit card customers like a few years ago.

4. As for Trade - points sent to Travel Partners are NOT called a "Trade" - it is called TRANSFER.

You may also want to get familiar to the rules on UR points - there are STICKIES on the topic. Misuse your UR points is a recurring cause of account closures over the years.
Thanks for taking the time for such a lengthy reply. I've used this format of response for convenience. Not trying to be snippy with "Well, for 1 and 2 and 3".

1. I do see my use as "reaping", not abusing. I don't try to abuse but I sure do try to maximize benefits. Therefore, with 2. I do read what others have done and will stay away from certain practices. Not that I was planning on engaging in them because the simple answer would be I wasn't aware of them in the first place but secondly there are practices that just don't appeal to me. Still I plan to definitely use this forum as reference material when suggesting to a friend they may want to apply for a card because of the bonus.

Sorry, it's just my mind building a case on how a corporation does (yes, I think they do) woo with it's bonuses and the limits they offer. I've read the t & c's on how to acquire points. While I doubt I'll ever go to the limit of any opportunities, I still mentally build a case as for why going to these limits seems well within an agreed upon range of business. I felt it should be safe here to sound out my thoughts. Building a case doesn't necessarily mean I'll put it to the test.

3. I'm not telling anyone to call. But for myself I did. And went into the branch to ask what was the reasoning. It didn't make sense. Now we find it's a matter of ratio of revenues generated:CL. We didn't understand that. When we signed up for the Bold our branch guy took care of the application. With adjusted figures he's still working on this current application. If it ends up not being a go that's fine. C'est la vie.

4. Yes, I would understand moving points to a partner would be a transfer, but it wasn't totally clear that the poster I was quoted meant trade or did he really mean transfer. I would understand Chase's problem with trade because I understand it to be a no-no.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It does not work this way. The banks do NOT pay the merchants directly in the majority of cases.

This should give you an idea on how the whole system works. It is an animated display, while very basic and simple, it is very Educational.

Besides with the Fed rate is 0 or actually negative, banks dont earn anything in their excess cash.
Thanks, this is just what I was looking for.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:59 am

[QUOTE=Happy;25601151]This should give you an idea on how the whole system works. It is an animated display, while very basic and simple, it is very Educational.
[QUOTE]
Thanks for the link. Just wonder, how does the card network(VISA/MASTER) get their share of the fees? TIA
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:41 pm

[QUOTE=jackiesyu;25610147][QUOTE=Happy;25601151]This should give you an idea on how the whole system works. It is an animated display, while very basic and simple, it is very Educational.
Thanks for the link. Just wonder, how does the card network(VISA/MASTER) get their share of the fees? TIA
look at the step "Clearing" and you'll see the Issuer shares interchange fee with the Card Network

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.