Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:40 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Most likely they just caught up with the fact they never should have let you back in. Ive seen datapoints like this multiple times. Chase bans are not only a year, if you get back in its on borrowed time and each time you apply for a new card its a risk someone will take notice and reclose all your accounts.
Why? Since 2014, when I got back to Chase (actually, only for their CC products - banking was still closed for me), I got only 4 CC with them, last app with them was in October 2015.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
At least now Chase does not confiscate UR pts any more unlike in the past - would get them off the hook of all the CFPB complaints if they dont take away people's points. Barclays also releases the pts as statement credit per people's posts. Citi and BofA continue to seize all the point balances and tell people to pound sand.
I am concerned about the new (somewhat) trend. I don't participate in most of the risky schemes posted throughout the site but NW buxx I do use with a card issued by Barclay. I guess if I run both my NW buxx cards (now weekly) and the duplicate charges every week that could trigger a manual review?

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Feb 15, 2016 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Why? Since 2014, when I got back to Chase (actually, only for their CC products - banking was still closed for me), I got only 4 CC with them, last app with them was in October 2015.
I am confused. Didn't you say it might be the recent Ink Plus approval, coupled with the dispute that resulted in 1K credit on the UA card, that triggered a review on your accounts?

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I am concerned about the new (somewhat) trend. I don't participate in most of the risky schemes posted throughout the site but NW buxx I do use with a card issued by Barclay. I guess if I run both my NW buxx cards (now weekly) and the duplicate charges every week that could trigger a manual review?
High probability. Buxx and Serve loads seem to be common factors on many closures (among other factors also in the mix).

May be time to stop doing it. I would.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
High probability. Buxx and Serve loads seem to be common factors on many closures (among other factors also in the mix).

is there evidence of Buxx alone triggering shut downs?

Last edited by odin99; Feb 15, 2016 at 9:31 pm
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:03 am
jk2

I am confused. Didn't you say it might be the recent Ink Plus approval, coupled with the dispute that resulted in 1K credit on the UA card, that triggered a review on your accounts?

Sorry for confusion. You are right, my previous personal app with Chase was in October, and last app I did with chase was business app for Ink Plus. So, it was 4 months between apps.

Also, in this thread you could find numerous reports of people who were shutdown by Chase and got back after 12-14 months, so I wasn't alone or kind of 'lucky person' who got in back by accident.

I am still confused, why dispute process can trigger a shutdown. I would expect so, if I initiate a dispute and merchant came with solid reason not to do it and I would be considered as a fraud. But in my case, the merchant told me to initiate a dispute to get my money back (it was actually a credit union, I purchased a travel card, but their system didn't catch the fact I wasn't a member and charged my card, but later they realized that fact and that travel card wasn't active. in order to get my money back a CU told me to initiate a dispute with my credit company. Strange policy, now I wish I wouldn't do it).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Sorry for confusion. You are right, my previous personal app with Chase was in October, and last app I did with chase was business app for Ink Plus. So, it was 4 months between apps.

Also, in this thread you could find numerous reports of people who were shutdown by Chase and got back after 12-14 months, so I wasn't alone or kind of 'lucky person' who got in back by accident.

I am still confused, why dispute process can trigger a shutdown. I would expect so, if I initiate a dispute and merchant came with solid reason not to do it and I would be considered as a fraud. But in my case, the merchant told me to initiate a dispute to get my money back (it was actually a credit union, I purchased a travel card, but their system didn't catch the fact I wasn't a member and charged my card, but later they realized that fact and that travel card wasn't active. in order to get my money back a CU told me to initiate a dispute with my credit company. Strange policy, now I wish I wouldn't do it).
May be because the transaction is done in a financial institution.

May be you should use up the credit balance instead of letting it just sit there and waiting for it to be refunded in 3 months.

We are just speculating here - any activities that bring human eyes on an account is almost always not a good thing even one is 100% kosher.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by odin99
is there evidence of Buxx alone triggering shut downs?
You would need to weigh your risk / reward scale to consider if it is worth it.

Based on data points, it seems transactions involved financial institutions are high risk transactions, Buxx or Serve or funding bank accounts, or the good ole AGC purchases via portal....
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:09 am

is buxx a risk even if I do 2k at max?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:16 am
jk2

May be because the transaction is done in a financial institution.

May be you should use up the credit balance instead of letting it just sit there and waiting for it to be refunded in 3 months.

We are just speculating here - any activities that bring human eyes on an account is almost always not a good thing even one is 100% kosher.
Strange thing happened. My Ink Plus arrived on Tuesday and I was able to activate it. Looked good. I made 2 purchases (legitimate, in $2K in total) on Wednesday and Thursday, parking charge and found today that account is closed. Now I am thinking what caused this - because my personal accounts were closed last week or because I was impatient and made 3 purchases (but CL is $26K)?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by jk2
Strange thing happened. My Ink Plus arrived on Tuesday and I was able to activate it. Looked good. I made 2 purchases (legitimate, in $2K in total) on Wednesday and Thursday, parking charge and found today that account is closed. Now I am thinking what caused this - because my personal accounts were closed last week or because I was impatient and made 3 purchases (but CL is $26K)?
Pretty sure it was because they realized that they had closed your personal accounts. Highly doubt the 3 purchases had anything to do with it. I used mine heavily, including VGCs from Staples, when I first got mine and had no issue.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by jk2
There are a few instances scattered throughout the thread where someone was approved for a Chase card, after being shut down. Often, the new card or cards are closed in a later sweep.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Chase internal systems that cover all areas apparently are not updated on real time basis. Very simple.

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
There are a few instances scattered throughout the thread where someone was approved for a Chase card, after being shut down. Often, the new card or cards are closed in a later sweep.
Agree. batch process. Many Chase functions are process in batches, with the most well-known being that charges made 7 to 10 days before statement closing date would not trigger bonus until the next statement because Chase has a cut off to batch process X days before statement closing date versus Citi's is real time or with very little lag.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:13 am
jk2

I have a general questions - when banks do a 'soft' pull, what are they looking for? I just checked my 2 credit reports - TU and EX and see lots of inquiries (soft) from many banks (discover, usbank, credit union). I guess all these checks are automatic. For example, I see that back to October 2015, Citi did a soft check, and next day my accounts were closed. I would like to avoid such things with other banks left, so what is the best way to protect yourself? Do not keep large balance during the month?

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
I have a general questions - when banks do a 'soft' pull, what are they looking for? I just checked my 2 credit reports - TU and EX and see lots of inquiries (soft) from many banks (discover, usbank, credit union). I guess all these checks are automatic. For example, I see that back to October 2015, Citi did a soft check, and next day my accounts were closed. I would like to avoid such things with other banks left, so what is the best way to protect yourself? Do not keep large balance during the month?

Thanks!
Nothing you can do on Soft Pulls - these are done by financial institutions for 2 purposes:

1) those you have relationship with, they do periodically soft pulls as Account Reviews to see your activities on all financial institutions - opening accounts, closing accounts, utilization, payment histories, to name the obvious.

2) those you do not have relationship with, they do soft pulls to gauge for solicitations. I have Discover softpull EVERY MONTH because they keep sending the Discover card offer every 2 weeks literally. I dont know HOW to stop Discover to do that - this has been going on for 2 years.

People are so obsessed on HP here but seem have very little concern on SP, or Account Reviews. AMEX, Chase, Citi all do Account Reviews quite frequently and you can see them in the Soft Pull section. You literally see Account Reviews being the description as the soft pulls. I am surprised you dont see that description.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:03 pm

So i have read through a lot of posts here and although I feel like I should be fine I'm a little paranoid reading about all these account closures. I started applying for cards with the intent of maximizing my rewards about a year ago and have almost gotten every card I want for now but I have increased my available credit exponentially in the last few months and would just appreciate some advice so I don't run into any of these issues.

My current scores are all over 800 with zero derogatory info and I've never burnt any banks in the past.

The closest thing I do to MS would be buying a few legit merchant gcs for myself during 5% categories for disc and freedom.
IE Amazon from a gas station

I only pay from 2 accounts one from chase and one pnc. Only deposits are direct deposits from work.

Household income of $235k

Less than 5% util every month. Honestly less than 1%.

Available credit has gone from $7k to $165k in 12 months ($232k if you include au)

I have 9 new personal accounts (3 chase) and 2 new sole prop biz accounts (1chase) in the last 12 months as well as 4 new AU accounts (2 chase) all in the last 12 months

My most recent approval was Ink plus a week ago but only for $5k when all my other chase cards are $20-30k

Anything I should be careful of. There are still a couple cards I would like to get eventually but don't want to risk anything with my current cards.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.