Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:26 pm

got my CCs closed but checking is still open.

im guilty of nb 7 "Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)"

i explained my situation, they will do a review but i doubt that i will pass it. i will try to review again in a few months (i was told the limit is 6 months to reinstate accounts).

i was making my credit grow as fast as i could because it is quite new (20 months) but i wasnt doing it only on the credit cards... i just got my second auto loan (and now i have 2 cars, i didnt sell the first) and my first autoloan that i got last year is almost paid off...

will update next week with the current review result and if declined i will try again in november i guess. i was lucky that i managed to get some AGCs to pay my tuition the day before the shutdown lol
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:55 pm

Are you taking (and paying for) auto loans just to establish a credit history?

That doesn't sound like a wise move.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Are you taking (and paying for) auto loans just to establish a credit history?

That doesn't sound like a wise move.
no, i do use the cars and they pay themselves + generate profit (and even more when i deduct all the miles they will have accumulated by then)

basically, every month the car pays for its loan and i usually stick more 500 on top of it (or whatever i feel confortable depending on the month)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:51 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by uPantcho
im guilty of nb 7 "Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)"
Are you going to tell us how many? Or just leave us hanging here?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:52 pm

sorry. 2 at chase, 1 barclay 1 wells fargo 2 amex 1 us bank

i believe the amexs are not yet on my credit report so 4 cards opened. i also had 4 car loan applications(used chase to actually buy) and 1 denied cc
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:03 pm

I see no documented reports of Chase shutting someone down for transferring UR points into an AU's frequent traveler account. Would it be safe for my father, who has never had a Southwest account, to transfer UR points into my Southwest account?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:09 pm

sorry. 2 at chase, 1 barclay 1 wells fargo 2 amex 1 us bank

i believe the amexs are not yet on my credit report so 4 cards opened. i also had 4 car loan applications(used chase to actually buy) and 1 denied cc
You sound like a huge credit risk, and I personally would never lend you money or extend you credit with those stats. And I have a feeling banks would share my opinion.

Last edited by Superorb; Aug 6, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
You sound like a huge credit risk, and I personally would never lend you money or extend you credit with those stats. And I have a feeling banks would share my opinion.
was this supposed to be aimed at me?

i will just assume it was and answer it (and sorry if it wasnt)

but i had 2 cards from chase even before this set of applications. both got auto CLI (4500->9k and 5k->7k). chase approved me for 2 new cards each with 18k this time and then canceled because of my new accounts.

it is worth noting that my other cards combined give me less credit than 1 card from chase. seems very arbitrary to shut me down because i got many cards when they all >combined< have lower limits than 1 chase card
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:24 pm

was this supposed to be aimed at me?

i will just assume it was and answer it (and sorry if it wasnt)

but i had 2 cards from chase even before this set of applications. both got auto CLI (4500->9k and 5k->7k). chase approved me for 2 new cards each with 18k this time and then canceled because of my new accounts.

it is worth noting that my other cards combined give me less credit than 1 card from chase. seems very arbitrary to shut me down because i got many cards when they all >combined< have lower limits than 1 chase card
Sorry, and thanks for answering.

Yes, banks sometimes do things that don't make any sense to us, but their loss prevention deems it necessary.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Sorry, and thanks for answering.

Yes, banks sometimes do things that don't make any sense to us, but their loss prevention deems it necessary.
great news, just checked my account online and my credit cards are open again

already tested and it isnt just a visual error. cards are indeed working!

only problem is that amex didnt report their cards yet. hopefully that wont be a problem...
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:46 pm

What banks do many times makes no sense and on top of that they may tell you a bs reason, especially Chase. When friend was turned down by Chase with 770 FICO, never a late and one inquiry, Chase actually said " sometimes one inquiry is too many."

got my CCs closed but checking is still open.

i explained my situation, they will do a review but i doubt that i will pass it. i will try to review again in a few months (i was told the limit is 6 months to reinstate accounts).

i was making my credit grow as fast as i could because it is quite new (20 months) but i wasnt doing it only on the credit cards... i just got my second auto loan (and now i have 2 cars, i didnt sell the first) and my first autoloan that i got last year is almost paid off...

will update next week with the current review result and if declined i will try again in november i guess. i was lucky that i managed to get some AGCs to pay my tuition the day before the shutdown lol
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:40 pm

An other possibility: filing complaints with various gov agencies.

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
As others have said, I'd recommend the small claims court option if you get nowhere with Chase. It'll be the only way they will surely listen and you'll receive what you are owed (Likely they'll call to settle).

Your shut down sounds similar to mine a few weeks back, personal checking and business cards shut down while I had a semi high balance of UR points. I'd say somehow Chase didn't like what or how much you were charging on the Sapphire if you really were charging that little to the Ink.

Sometimes I feel like Chase specifically targets those with large point balances to get rid of the liability off their books. Even assuming a high 2% merchant fee, a consumer would have to charge an additional $300,000 in charges to equal the gain Chase made my confiscating over 300k UR points. My math could be wrong since it's 3am, but $300,000*.02(Merchant Fee)-$300,000*.01(CB Value)=$3000.

I really could see Chase deciding it's pointless to wait for a customer who never has interest charges to push $300,000 through their cards when they simply can remove a $3000 liability from their books to the same effect by severing the relationship with the customer.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:10 am

I have had a Freedom card since '07 and have accumulated over 134k UR points. I recently received an Ink+ and combined the two accounts over the phone, but have not yet moved the UR points into Ink to transfer out to a partner. After reading some posts here, I'm nervous about holding that many points, especially since I plan to do some "hobby spending" to meet the minimum spend requirement on the new Ink+.

Should I:
1. Leave the points on Freedom for now
2. Move them to Ink and transfer out soon
3. Move to Ink and leave alone?

Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
I have had a Freedom card since '07 and have accumulated over 134k UR points. I recently received an Ink+ and combined the two accounts over the phone, but have not yet moved the UR points into Ink to transfer out to a partner. After reading some posts here, I'm nervous about holding that many points, especially since I plan to do some "hobby spending" to meet the minimum spend requirement on the new Ink+.

Should I:
1. Leave the points on Freedom for now
2. Move them to Ink and transfer out soon
3. Move to Ink and leave alone?

Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:20 pm

My data points:

-Had a checking and 4 Chase credit cards closed in Nov 2013. My fault, did tons of MS with it. But due to a glitch in their IT system (I think), I managed to transfer out the UR points

-Re-applied for the Ink in ~June 2015, after about a year and a half of being banned from them. I got the 60K points and managed to transfer them to UA before being shut down again

-Applied for two personal cards recently and was declined because of an "unsatisfactory relationship".

Any idea why my Ink was approved recently but the two personal cards werent?

Also, why has nobody filed a class-action lawsuit about the lost UR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.