Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 21, 2015, 10:28 am

Received the check for the funds that were in my checking account at the time of closure. CSP and Freedom still working but still locked out online. I think I will lay low for awhile and not push the issue with the EO.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:02 am

As posted previously, I was approved for the Ritz Carlton card after being blacklisted for 14 months. I did nothing unusual with it, other than a couple of odd-numbered Redbird loads and lowering my CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible Chase approvals. But my two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months after the Ritz approval, were both declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..." The Ritz card remains open.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
As posted previously, I was approved for the Ritz Carlton card after being blacklisted for 14 months. I did nothing unusual with it, other than a couple of odd-numbered Redbird loads and lowering my CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible Chase approvals. But my two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months after the Ritz approval, were both declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..." The Ritz card remains open.
You should call for a recon. The analyst will see the previous unsatisfactory relationship is bogus.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
You should call for a recon. The analyst will see the previous unsatisfactory relationship is bogus.
or the more likely scenario....Analyst sees the previous unsatisfactory relationship and the open Ritz, which ends up getting it closed
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
I don't think it's reusing the limit during the same cycle as much as which merchants and how much you ran through each merchant.

I only have $20k and $21k limits on my Chase cards, respectively, and my legitimate expenditures have been more than that due to office expenses and reimbursements. BUT those charges weren't $25k at Office Depot. Instead they were for hotels, airfare business equipment, etc., all from different and the usual merchants. $25k from Lenovo or Dell isn't likely to set off any flags.

I do know that Chase isn't fond of pre-paying to get past the limit, as I've tried this from their website and I think I could only pay an extra $200 over the balance. Funny, Amex doesn't seem to mind at all.
This makes me wonder - AMEX actually REDUCED my scheduled payment on an outstanding balance because of a refund - it reduced the payment amount to match the now lower outstanding balance and sent me an email to that effect. I had no clue of the refund as that should have come as a check, not back to the AMEX card and I was aboard when that happened. It is annoying that I can never schedule payment above the posted outstanding balances on my AMEX cards - when they are pending, AMEX would not count those to allow me to pay - this often causes issues as we go on international trips often and I really want to pay the cards down to 0 on cards we do not plan to bring with us. Can't do this with any bank if it is a PULL method, AMEX included.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SteveT
I called for recon on the first, and the analyst sited the previous unsatisfactory relationship. I think, for some reason, the Ritz app was a shot that snaked through the goalkeeper's legs. Another MSer who had been blacklisted by Chase had his Ritz app approved (he hasn't applied for another Chase card since).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:18 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by David_
Received the check for the funds that were in my checking account at the time of closure. CSP and Freedom still working but still locked out online. I think I will lay low for awhile and not push the issue with the EO.
I went up the ladder with Chase and finally got my account unlocked. Immediately sent a SM to ask about matching the current $200 Freedom bonus.

"Thank you for contacting Chase about the 20,000 enrollment
bonus points offer.

I am pleased to advise that I did add 10,000 points to
your account, so that it receives a total of 20,000 points
for an enrollment bonus. You will see this adjustment on
the next statement. This adjustment is available for
redemption now."
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:36 pm
RNE

I went up the ladder with Chase and finally got my account unlocked.
How? What was the dialogue? What convinced them? Spill the beans.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went up the ladder with Chase and finally got my account unlocked. Immediately sent a SM to ask about matching the current $200 Freedom bonus.

"Thank you for contacting Chase about the 20,000 enrollment
bonus points offer.

I am pleased to advise that I did add 10,000 points to
your account, so that it receives a total of 20,000 points
for an enrollment bonus. You will see this adjustment on
the next statement. This adjustment is available for
redemption now."
Good for you to get this resolved to a satisfactory manner.

However, did you ever find out why the checking account is closed?

Why Chase got upset for people taking the $300 bonus offer? I dont understand why taking up the offer would be a cause for closure unless such offer is not to general public but since the blogger world advertised it with the link...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by RNE
How? What was the dialogue? What convinced them? Spill the beans.
There wasn't much convincing to do.

Regular credit CSR has no idea why my account was locked.
Fraud prevention had no idea why my account was locked.
Private client banker had no idea why my account was locked.
Level 2 CSR that private banker called had no idea why my account was locked.
Level 3 CSR that private client banker was escalated to had no idea why my account was locked but said that when it happens it is FOREVER.
Chase EO had no idea why my account was locked and could not unlock it.

Chase EO (level 2?) had no idea why my account was locked but said they would unlock it. Went through the usual security questions and was verified. They tried to kick me back to level 2 but apparently that rep had failed their security check and was locked out of their system. Got kicked around multiple departments at home and abroad. Finally got on with a senior Chase Online rep who said they could unlock the account. They were unable to do it and put me on hold while a supervisor looked at it. Supervisor came back on with me and said they were still looking over my account notes. Eventually they unlocked the account and I was good to go.

The level 2 EO rep called me back the next day and I told them my issue was resolved. Didn't bother to ask about the checking account.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:52 pm

So here's my weird experience of the day, wondering if anyone knows if this is indicative of an upcoming account closure: I tried to log in this morning on my phone and got an error message that said "Your account has been suspended." I then tried to log in on my computer and got a different message that said "Your account is inactive" and gave a number to call. I called, they said it was a technical issue and reactivated the account. It worked at that point. I just tried to log in now (about 15 hours later) and got the same error messages - called and got the same resolution. I asked if it's just a technical issue or if there is some problem with my account and they said it's just a technical issue... but I'm concerned. For those who have been shut down, have you gotten these error messages before? Please advise. Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:08 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by esw30
So here's my weird experience of the day, wondering if anyone knows if this is indicative of an upcoming account closure: I tried to log in this morning on my phone and got an error message that said "Your account has been suspended." I then tried to log in on my computer and got a different message that said "Your account is inactive" and gave a number to call. I called, they said it was a technical issue and reactivated the account. It worked at that point. I just tried to log in now (about 15 hours later) and got the same error messages - called and got the same resolution. I asked if it's just a technical issue or if there is some problem with my account and they said it's just a technical issue... but I'm concerned. For those who have been shut down, have you gotten these error messages before? Please advise. Thanks!
A few weeks ago I got the "Your account is inactive" but not the "Your account has been suspended" message. I called Chase and the customer rep fixed it right away. She didn't know why (at least that's what she said) and I have no issue since.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by esw30
Be patient for a day. Their system may need to cycle and reset for the change to the account status to take place. If you log in tomorrow and get the same message I'd escalate at that point.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:54 am

I had that once before, it was because I had a closed card associated with the account for 6+ months after closure and their system was trying to close the online account even though there were still active cards on it. Took a few times before I found a knowledgeable CSR to know/fix this.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Prefer not to bank with Chase any longer.

Use their credit products but not their banking is my advice. Been with them awhile but we are ready to close out soon.

Their phone reps will cause you nothing but angst if you get locked out. My DH and I have both been locked out at two different times. It is nothing short of a hassle and requires all kinds of changes to what you have become accustomed to over the years. The lockouts required two prolonged branch visit both times and heaven help you if you need a debit card replaced with a Private Client rep. We have a car loan with them so we will keep a small balance because the DD is going elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.