Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by mrflyhigher
Whoomp there it is!

......I suppose the one time sale could do it, it just seems a LONG time ago. I never hid that from you guys when explaining my situation. I thought many times chase was closing the individual account that was making sales/prohibited transactions?
Old May 9, 2015, 11:16 am
RNE

Originally Posted by bar19900
how would chase see mo deposits at other banks? even if they filed SARs, chase cant see that as far as I know.
Candidly, I don't know that Chase can see suspicious activity at another bank. But I also don't know that it cannot. While there are certainly legitimate reasons to transact in money orders, they are notoriously and inextricably linked to money laundering. Moreover, because the total of multiple MOs is above $10,000 (indeed, it's $20k!) this reeks of structuring.

RNE, not stating or implying that the OP did anything wrong, merely opining how things may appear to a bank.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:17 am

......I suppose the one time sale could do it, it just seems a LONG time ago. I never hid that from you guys when explaining my situation. I thought many times chase was closing the individual account that was making sales/prohibited transactions?
I appreciate you sharing your situation. Granted they do have a policy against selling points, but if I didn't learn about it here I wouldn't have even known about the policy. Some will throw it in your face that you broke the rules, but I think you sharing that fact helps others, so thank you.

Another thing I learned here is that if they close one account, all of them will follow. It is a bad situation, and some won't share because they are shamed for it. I commend those who share and help other learn from their experience.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:21 am

I could be wrong but if Chase did shut the account down due to a UR sale where the points were transferred to another members airline account (and not a UR to UR transfer) I believe this would be the first such case. All other instances were direct UR to UR transfers.

Anyone know of a case where this type of transfer led to a Chase shutdown ?
Old May 10, 2015, 9:07 am
RNE

We may never know why Chase did what it did. Sometimes the reason(s) are obvious, other times not so much. But let's dispell the notion that Chase would act without what it considers just cause. Therefore, if/when this happens to you, take a long, thorough look at anything and everything that could be actionable by Chase. Whatever you find, that's probably why it happened. Tell us and then we'll all learn.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:29 am

My Freedom and CSP are working fine today but I still don't have access to my online account. Hopefully just a false alarm. I want to get back in and transfer the rest of my points out ASAP.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Is the line re: "not consistent with personal, family, or household use" recognizable to others in this thread? Yes, I did a bunch of MS. What triggered their internal review, I think, was using up one card's limit, paying down and then reusing limit during the same statement cycle.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
...What triggered their internal review, I think, was using up one card's limit, paying down and then reusing limit during the same statement cycle.
This practice - running your balance up and paying it down, multiple times during a statement cycle - seems like an invitation to shutdown.

Yes, I know that many MSers here do this - regularly, and gleefully - but it just seems sooooo suspicious to me and I don't extend credit to millions of strangers. Think about it: Chase extends you a CL of, say, $25K (that's based on your stated income of, let's say $125K - I'm just pulling numbers from my arse...). Every month you charge up $20K, pay off $20K, then repeat within the same statement cycle. After a single month, you have churned more than your CL. After a few months, you have churned more than your annual income. There are very few justifications for this kind of activity that Chase (or anyone looking to protect their interests) can really imagine. Anyone that looks like that is going to look like a serious risk, and they don't like risks. There are plenty of non-risky customers and potential customers out there that they would rather have.

Yes, I know lots of people here play this short-cycling game. I am amazed at how long they get away with it. YMMV, but that kind of game seems to me like a great way to get blacklisted. I value my relationship with Chase way too much to go there.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
This practice - running your balance up and paying it down, multiple times during a statement cycle - seems like an invitation to shutdown.

Yes, I know that many MSers here do this - regularly, and gleefully - but it just seems sooooo suspicious to me and I don't extend credit to millions of strangers. Think about it: Chase extends you a CL of, say, $25K (that's based on your stated income of, let's say $125K - I'm just pulling numbers from my arse...). Every month you charge up $20K, pay off $20K, then repeat within the same statement cycle. After a single month, you have churned more than your CL. After a few months, you have churned more than your annual income. There are very few justifications for this kind of activity that Chase (or anyone looking to protect their interests) can really imagine. Anyone that looks like that is going to look like a serious risk, and they don't like risks. There are plenty of non-risky customers and potential customers out there that they would rather have.

Yes, I know lots of people here play this short-cycling game. I am amazed at how long they get away with it. YMMV, but that kind of game seems to me like a great way to get blacklisted. I value my relationship with Chase way too much to go there.
Certainly, getting reimbursed for business charges is a good reason.

But is Chase really taking on more risk? Their exposure is still the $25K CL.

I guess the chances of a default might be higher, but their exposure is no greater.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
Is the line re: "not consistent with personal, family, or household use" recognizable to others in this thread? Yes, I did a bunch of MS. What triggered their internal review, I think, was using up one card's limit, paying down and then reusing limit during the same statement cycle.
I can tell you that I NEVER one time cycled my credit limit and got this message on my closure. I think its total BS......and further thinking makes me believe less and less that my single transfer to a united account was the cause.....I really wish I could fight it or find out why.....it HAS to be something ridiculous that probably most on this board could be nabbed for.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nwflyboy

If the account holder is paying bills on time, what concern is it of Chase what I choose to do with my CL?
Old May 11, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
If the account holder is paying bills on time, what concern is it of Chase what I choose to do with my CL?
Because by default you are riskier to them when you reported an income of 100k and MS'd (I mean spent) 200K for the year on the card. Plenty of folks have business expenses they get reimbursed for, but it could potentially raise a red flag within Chase. Often times they'd rather just end a relationship and find someone else they know is no trouble and profitable to them rather than have to wonder if someone is trouble down the road. Spending more than your credit limit with chase month after month and paying it off intra-month to clear more space is something I'd avoid. All they have to do is request your receipts from vendors and about ten minutes later they'd have all they need to know to send you your pink slip on a guy making 100k spending 200k for the year.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:00 am
RNE

..it HAS to be something ridiculous that probably most on this board could be nabbed for.
"Has" to be? I don't share your conviction that the reason(s) for Chase's actions was something ridiculous or commonplace. But I'm sorry that whatever it was Chase didn't like happened. And, no, you'll probably never know what that was.

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Often times they'd rather just end a relationship and find someone else...
Exactly. But I think it's much harder to trigger than some suspect (not including you in that group).

RNE, repeatedly advising one and all to stay on Chase's good side.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I am not sure who you sold to, but I did meet someone who told me that they had their American Airlines account shut down when American identified a broker they sold to and traced back the source of all the miles. In this case it could take awhile before irregular activity is identified.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:39 am

So, I'm relatively new to FT, and this Chase closing accounts stuff has me spooked! I have a bunch of cards, which I use sparingly and (to my mind) appropriately. I.e., using a Marriott card for Marriott stays, United card for United flights, IHG card for IHG stays, etc. My Sapphire Preferred and Freedom are my usual go to cards. I have about 250k points (from my own monthly spend plus transfers from my wife's account). I know I'm probably going to eventually use the points for United, but don't have any redemptions now. I'd like to keep the points in UR for now, in case I want to use them for something else (I've gotten good value on an Amtrak sleeper car in the past, for example), but also don't want to risk losing them. Should I just transfer to United now and not worry about it, or is the risk of them being confiscated so low that it makes sense to preserve flexibility?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.