Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
When I froze my ARS credit report, I requested a copy of the report. I just got it. It had a different format than the others.

Some items of note are that it had listed hard pulls from both Experian and TransUnion. It kept track of the number of hard pulls since 2012, which is longer than I expected.

Finally, Chase gave them my IP address that I used when applying for Chase cards. I thought that was odd.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Has anyone been able to transfer points out after the 90 days that they put in the letter? I got so many letters from them and was scrambling to correct autopay accounts and failed payments that I never noticed the 90 days expiration in the letter when it finally arrived. I did try and transfer them out before then to Skypass but that failed due to the temporary hold on transfers to Skypass. I just figured to wait until they became available again in January not realizing that it was beyond the 90 days.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:27 pm

Quick update. My statement for my Freedom card that was cancelled posted today, and the full 12k UR that I earned showed up. I was able to combine them to my cancelled CSP, and then transfer them to UA.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:39 am

Frequent Miler post: Manufacturing Spend: What's safe?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:06 pm

$4k a month on 5x categories?

Hello,
I have been doing MS from little than a year now and these posts have frankly freaked me out. I need some advice from your gurus to ensure i am NOT doing something that will cause red flags.

I have chase ink bold, freedom, hyatt and IHG cards from Chase
I have started spending $3000-$4000 per month from last two months on VGC cards from staples for 5X UR points

I use Hyatt for restaurants, freedom on various categories (~$400-500 on both cards)

Last month i had spend ~3500 (mostly all on staples transactions) i realized this as a mistake and started adding other regular non 5X purchase on this card.

I know people usually spend way more than this but its all YMMV -- but is there something that i am doing here that is even close to getting red flags? should i stop/start doing something? Any tips?

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Hello,
I have been doing MS from little than a year now and these posts have frankly freaked me out. I need some advice from your gurus to ensure i am NOT doing something that will cause red flags.

I have chase ink bold, freedom, hyatt and IHG cards from Chase
I have started spending $3000-$4000 per month from last two months on VGC cards from staples for 5X UR points

I use Hyatt for restaurants, freedom on various categories (~$400-500 on both cards)

Last month i had spend ~3500 (mostly all on staples transactions) i realized this as a mistake and started adding other regular non 5X purchase on this card.

I know people usually spend way more than this but its all YMMV -- but is there something that i am doing here that is even close to getting red flags? should i stop/start doing something? Any tips?

Thanks
I would think that you are fine but people have been closed "claiming" they've done less than this.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:34 am

I'm doing 10k/mo with my SW cards through RB. Should I diversify with some of my other cards, non Chase cards?
Old May 8, 2015, 7:19 am

just got all my personal and 1 of my 2 business accounts closed. Next to zero MS (im not lying other than maximizing freedom bonus). I was told I have 90 days to get UR's out. The only thing I can think of is that I opened a few non-chase accounts recently and a couple bank accounts. # of hard pulls on Experian is ~10 over the last 2 years. Should I expect my final business account to get hacked shortly? are my wife's accounts at risk? she only has 2 accounts with them. Neither of us have chase checking. EO was a big disappointment when trying to get them reinstated or provide any reason why. Total scripted dbag.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by bar19900
just got all my personal and 1 of my 2 business accounts closed. Next to zero MS (im not lying other than maximizing freedom bonus). I was told I have 90 days to get UR's out. The only thing I can think of is that I opened a few non-chase accounts recently and a couple bank accounts. # of hard pulls on Experian is ~10 over the last 2 years. Should I expect my final business account to get hacked shortly? are my wife's accounts at risk? she only has 2 accounts with them. Neither of us have chase checking. EO was a big disappointment when trying to get them reinstated or provide any reason why. Total scripted dbag.
Wow. Sounds like they are pretty random. There are a lot people in this forum use Chase cards for MS, you would think if that was their motivation for shutdown, there would be a bunch more reports. Considering your spend had very little MS (and no chase bank accounts) - it seems pretty random.

Are there any other financial factors that could have negative connotations? I have several chase cards, and a lot of bank accounts. My chase spend is mostly in bonus categories, but I have a business that only has expenses in their bonus categories. Makes me wonder if I will be shut down for normal (albeit bonus) spend.

I wouldn't think that Chase actively monitors non-chase financial activity. So it would have to be tied to use of their products.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:59 am

Do you carry balances month to month, or spend near your limit?
Old May 8, 2015, 10:28 am
RNE

just got all my personal and 1 of my 2 business accounts closed. Next to zero MS (im not lying other than maximizing freedom bonus). I was told I have 90 days to get UR's out. The only thing I can think of is that I opened a few non-chase accounts recently and a couple bank accounts. # of hard pulls on Experian is ~10 over the last 2 years.
Chase does not take this action randomly; there has to be one or more reasons—even if those reasons are mistaken.

• Please tell us more about these non-Chase accounts and bank accounts to which you refer.
  • Do you* have any financial ties with foreign institutions, regardless how tenuous?
  • Are you* involved in any legal or civil actions?
  • In what business(es) are you involved?
  • Do you* make any transactions involving gambling or anything that may even remotely appear unsavory?
  • Do you* make frequent visits to a safe deposit box?
  • Do you* use money orders?

*Or a close relation

RNE, apologizing for being so invasive, but yours is a troubling situation, the understanding of which may benefit us all. Please answer as candidly as you can—without compromising sensitive information, of course.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Chase does not take this action randomly; there has to be one or more reasons—even if those reasons are mistaken.

• Please tell us more about these non-Chase accounts and bank accounts to which you refer.
  • Do you* have any financial ties with foreign institutions, regardless how tenuous?
  • Are you* involved in any legal or civil actions?
  • In what business(es) are you involved?
  • Do you* make any transactions involving gambling or anything that may even remotely appear unsavory?
  • Do you* make frequent visits to a safe deposit box?
  • Do you* use money orders?

*Or a close relation

RNE, apologizing for being so invasive, but yours is a troubling situation, the understanding of which may benefit us all. Please answer as candidly as you can—without compromising sensitive information, of course.
I have never carried a balance or had a monthly spend over 5k.
The bank accounts I opened were simply regular checking accounts in my home area.
Zero foreign financial ties.
I am involved in zero legal or civil actions.
My business cards I had were sole proprietorships with nominal value/income.
No gambling whatsoever.
I don't even own a safe deposit box.
I do use money orders, but chase has never seen a single one - furthermore by FT standards, my MO velocity is pretty low.

Maybe the combination of soft pulls from bank accounts and 3 new cc's (non chase) was too much cr activity? I have no clue. I was just told they decided to end my relationship with them and my account activity differed from that of an individual or family household. They would tell me nothing more and that they wouldn't reconsider. I honestly have never even churned chase cards. The personal cards were all several years old. I was given 30-90 days to remove rewards. I was also told these "decisions" were thoroughly thought out and not taken lightly or something like that.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Wow. Sounds like they are pretty random. There are a lot people in this forum use Chase cards for MS, you would think if that was their motivation for shutdown, there would be a bunch more reports. Considering your spend had very little MS (and no chase bank accounts) - it seems pretty random.

Are there any other financial factors that could have negative connotations? I have several chase cards, and a lot of bank accounts. My chase spend is mostly in bonus categories, but I have a business that only has expenses in their bonus categories. Makes me wonder if I will be shut down for normal (albeit bonus) spend.

I wouldn't think that Chase actively monitors non-chase financial activity. So it would have to be tied to use of their products.
I reviewed the letters I got and the business one has different wording - it does say "activity on one of your chase accounts" was the cause. These are by far my least abused products in my arsenal. I do use WM BP occasionally.....but 90% of my payments all come from one checking account. I'd love to know if this is a long term ban or if they will be chasing my SO as well.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:00 pm

I reviewed the letters I got and the business one has different wording - it does say "activity on one of your chase accounts" was the cause. These are by far my least abused products in my arsenal. I do use WM BP occasionally.....but 90% of my payments all come from one checking account. I'd love to know if this is a long term ban or if they will be chasing my SO as well.
How many MO you deposited in last 6 months and the amounts on each deposit?

Did you check your credit report? Any late payments on any of your cards not just chase? You started using your cards lot more in last 3 months than before? How many chase cards you opened and closed in last 3 yrs?
Old May 8, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
How many MO you deposited in last 6 months and the amounts on each deposit?

Did you check your credit report? Any late payments on any of your cards not just chase? You started using your cards lot more in last 3 months than before? How many chase cards you opened and closed in last 3 yrs?
20k maybe? across a bunch of accounts all 499-500$ - but again, I do not have chase checking and I actually pulled by Chex report 1 month ago and all was well. The account that pays chase doesn't get any mo deposits.

Pulled all my credit reports. Definitely no late payments or derogatory marks with anyone....I do not have any financial issues whatsoever. In the last 3 years I have opened 4 chase accounts (3 were still open, only 1 closed by me). I sold some points (that were transferred to a united account) a year ago. It was a one time sale. Would something that old still come into play?

are people's spouses typically axed when this happens? I'm trying to gauge that risk factor.

Last edited by bar19900; May 8, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.