Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
When is the next time you would apply for a CC then? I just checked EQ / EX and they are still 740+

Last edited by queensgambit; Aug 6, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:11 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'd say 4-6 months, with 6 being better.

In the mean time, show a good payment track record, pay your charges off in full every month, and be mindful of further behavior that could be seen by a bank as risky. Now you need to establish that your past behavior, from the lender's point of view, was not an indication of a desperate grab for money.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by queensgambit
Ok thanks! At this point if you were in my shoes what would you do over the next 6 months (this question applies to everyone)?
Do nothing in the way of CC apps for the next 6 months, or even 12 months, IMHO. Read, read, read and plan out your strategy using what you learn.

In the meantime, you have over 100K miles/points in whatever partner you transferred them to...you should be able to have some fun travels with that.

Just consider yourself lucky you were able to transfer out those 100K UR points.

Can you share the "points coach" service/company you used?

Originally Posted by windcloud5
While many ppl brought up online gambling, and applying for new cards too fast. Both are valid points and I concurred with both. But I see a third red flag - it is asking for a human review while you have "skeletons" in the closets. The scenario probably went like this:

You: I need a manager to expedite my UR and SW points.
Manager: I have a request to expedite UR and SW points. This is not very common. Let me see what I can do for this person and why he/she need these points so fast.
Manager: This is odd, this person applied for so many cards in such a short time. Does his income sustain so much more credit line? Let me see what type of charges he has. Holy smoke, he has quite a bit of gambling charges. I can see some red flags already and let me forward his/her file to the fraud department.
Fraud department: This person pose a credit risk to Chase. We decided to close the accounts.

There is a saying in flyertalk that slow and steady wins the race. Unfortunately, you were probably too aggressive. It's ok to do that in poker but it's not very prudent in the CC game. I also must add that if you really paid for a points coach and he/she told you to do what you did, then he is not a very good coach.
Good advice. I'm sure having added the human into the loop with the expedite request didn't help, it may have even been the trigger.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:55 am
jk2

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I'd say 4-6 months, with 6 being better.

In the mean time, show a good payment track record, pay your charges off in full every month, and be mindful of further behavior that could be seen by a bank as risky. Now you need to establish that your past behavior, from the lender's point of view, was not an indication of a desperate grab for money.
With Chase, time doesn't matter. They closed my accounts a year ago, and all my new applications with Chase (CCs, checking) were (first) approved and then closed a few days later. When you call, they will cite a "unsatisfactory relationship with the Bank". So you can relax for (at least) 10-15 years (however, during my last conversation with Chase Executive office, they told me that they will never forget it and nicely suggested not to bother applying for cards anymore).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
When is the next time you would apply for a CC then? I just checked EQ / EX and they are still 740+
If Chase only recently shut down your accounts, your score might still take a hit once everything gets settled.

If I was in your situation, I would cool it immediately on the cc apps and check my credit score again in about 4 - 6 weeks. Over the next six months I would be on my best financial behavior with the institutions that haven't fired me.

Good luck, OP. I hope you'll let us know how it goes.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:00 pm

Thanks everyone!
I think we all would like more info on this "Points Coach".
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:31 am

There's not much to say. I contacted a few blog writers asking for someone to provide personalized coaching. Only one responded and we did an hour. He didn't specifically say to go sign up for a gazillion cards, but he also didn't give a single word of warning. I won't specify which blog he writes for but they are all clearly affiliate pushers now.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I think we all would like more info on this "Points Coach".
Upthread OP mentioned the person was from TPG or worked for TPG. Hope this would serve a lesson to others who are prone to be gullible as well as lack of self-discipline. Still sad to see OP has to pay a high price to learn this lesson.

About 5 per credit card for <1k each (usually 3 for 1k and 2 for $300).

I live in Nevada, I suppose online gambling is still illegal on a national level and that banks have to comply with those regulations. I'd like to test it where I'm very careful about not raising any red flags and the only red flag is online gambling transactions under different names. See if that results in getting closed. Unfortunately not many cards left to try that test in.

Also I just tried applying for SPG and was told too many credit apps in too short a time frame. Any recommendations on optimal # of card apps per month across all the banks and how long I should wait before applying for one?

This all really sucks because I hired a "points coach" who worked for TPG for several years and seemed legitimate and yet didn't mention a single thing about "being careful" and "reading reading reading". At this point if I were to maintain a blog or offer consulting services the first thing I would ever tell anybody is to be extremely careful, read FT as much as possible and then read more. FML

Last edited by Happy; Aug 8, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by standaman360
Last November my personal and business accounts were closed, including Private Client account.. 7 figure balances on business accounts.. but a lot of international wires due to business type. 850K+ points gone.. only 150k from signup bonuses. No manufactured spent, no bonus category abuses.

Chase Sucks!
I have been struggling with the same. My checking and savings accounts closed. I guessed it was because of international wires, although everyone in the branch knew I was building a house overseas and had several suppliers overseas that I had contracted with for house items like windows, tile, etc. After I dealt with that, just 2 days ago I found out they closed my UA Presidential Plus and Hyatt cards. Business card still open (for now?? or will they close that too?) Most I could get on the phone made me think that it was because my other accounts were closed. I have many years history on my Presidential card paying in full every month. Just wrote a letter to IL office. Not expecting much. Trying to find replacement cards fast.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dogloverjb
I have been struggling with the same. My checking and savings accounts closed. I guessed it was because of international wires, although everyone in the branch knew I was building a house overseas and had several suppliers overseas that I had contracted with for house items like windows, tile, etc. After I dealt with that, just 2 days ago I found out they closed my UA Presidential Plus and Hyatt cards. Business card still open (for now?? or will they close that too?) Most I could get on the phone made me think that it was because my other accounts were closed. I have many years history on my Presidential card paying in full every month. Just wrote a letter to IL office. Not expecting much. Trying to find replacement cards fast.
You should file a complaint with CFPB as well as the State Attorney office of both your home state and the state Chase HQ is located if Chase refuses to talk to you on why your accounts are being closed.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately I checked my online acct today and all of my Chase account have been closed.

History: I have 14 inquiries over the last 8 months and 11 new accounts on Experian. All spaced 2-3 months apart, 5 of them being Chase accounts. Most recently the SW Plus for the CP that I opened earlier this month. I have always paid on time and in full prior to the statement cut. Very minimal MS, a couple K across all cards. I had to call in the other day for a fraudulent charge on my SW Premier acct, a telecom charge from the Netherlands, which initiated a human review which probably lead to an across the board account closure.

I immediately contacted the CSP rep who then transferred me to the lending department. The representative that I spoke with there explained that their decision was based off of the inquiries / new accounts. The call then proceeded like a recon call after he manually reviewed my credit report. I gave him my AGI and explained why all of the new accounts were established. He was not able to overturn the decision immediately but said that I would hear from another representative in the next 24-48 hours, the tone in his voice seemed promising, so I am not losing all hope at this point.

I thought that I had a decent relationship with Chase and knew opening the SW Plus was risky, but American greed for the SW CP made me do it. I luckily met my minimum spend before the account was closed so hopefully they do grant the points to my RR acct if they do decide not to overturn the decision.

I have about 90K UR points in my CSP acct at this point. I am going to wait for their final decision prior to transferring them out.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by ftomasze
I have about 90K UR points in my CSP acct at this point. I am going to wait for their final decision prior to transferring them out.
Good luck.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ftomasze
Strongly suggest not doing this. Transfer them ASAP.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:59 am

Chase closed most of my cards with them, but for some reason left two open (oldish business & newish personal). Any reason not to inquire for closure rationale beyond the letter specified 'business decision to close' and/or push for reconsideration of the closures?

Lots of Ink / Freedom MS, but I'm a bit confused why Chase suddenly took interest as I'd actually slowed down dramatically

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.