FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-archived-2013-mid-2019-a.html)

RNE May 8, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 31078207)
My point is that there's no reason to wait for the closure letter from Chase to arrive - the details can be obtained via phone. Multiple data points describe affected account holders being told to wait until they have received a closure letter from Chase, but this is not necessary. Not waiting for the letter to initiate having your closures reviewed can save a significant amount of time.

Let us know how that works for you. Meanwhile, I'll be busy counting how many tens of thousands of URs I'm going to get this month.

Kacee May 8, 2019 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 31033238)
Part of the reason I hate this overall thread is that almost every post is couched in mystery and vagueness. If one purpose of posting in this forum is serve as a warning to others, the only way it helps is if the details are shared.

I think the consistent lesson is, if you do sketchy stuff, you're more likely to have your accounts shut down.

HawkeyeFlyer May 10, 2019 9:48 am

I agree. People want to think they are smarter than Chase. They do things they know are questionable and then act surprised and offended when Chase closes the accounts.

Diplomatico May 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Chase Shut Downs & Credit Card Account Closures: Tales & Speculation. [2019 thread}

Chase has sent letters to some cardmembers regarding misuse of the referrals program.....threatens to close accounts.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...erral-related/

Critterlynn May 11, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 31091533)
Chase has sent letters to some cardmembers regarding misuse of the referrals program.....threatens to close accounts.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...erral-related/

Yeah I just read that. I was getting ready to paste the link myself but then I saw yours. Any idea what this is about? They're pretty vague on what causes the shutdown.

joe_miami May 11, 2019 6:23 pm

An update was posted at that link, in case you didn't see it. As always, there was more to the story.

Diplomatico May 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 31091575)
Yeah I just read that. I was getting ready to paste the link myself but then I saw yours. Any idea what this is about? They're pretty vague on what causes the shutdown.

Yeah, apparently there are some people who have managed to find a way (shocking, I know) to obtain a greater number of referrals on Chase cards than are normally permitted. I'm not savvy enough to know how one would accomplish this but apparently some folks are.

mster Jun 6, 2019 9:29 am

Update on my card closures - total stonewall from Chase Executive Office - whoever they contacted inside Chase declined to provide any information about the rationale for the closures beyond Chase's initial vague "affiliate closure" language.

Definitely not the experience I was expecting going in. Zero details in initial closure letter. Zero progress getting additional details from Chase Executive Office. Hope this data points helps someone.

Critterlynn Jun 6, 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 31176384)
Update on my card closures - total stonewall from Chase Executive Office - whoever they contacted inside Chase declined to provide any information about the rationale for the closures beyond Chase's initial vague "affiliate closure" language.

Definitely not the experience I was expecting going in. Zero details in initial closure letter. Zero progress getting additional details from Chase Executive Office. Hope this data points helps someone.

Don't know why you expected anything different.

thunderlounge Jun 6, 2019 5:58 pm

But hey, kudos for coming back with the end of the story. Something that gets missed a lot in this thread.

radonc1 Jun 7, 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 31176384)

When Chase closes an account, they don't change their mind. I had Chase Sapphire card that I never used and they closed it due to inactivity. I didn't wish to have it closed and its closure had no effect on my other Chase accounts or cards, but no matter how I tried, they would not budge on their decision.

I don't do anything screwy with Chase.

mster Jun 7, 2019 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 31180903)
When Chase closes an account, they don't change their mind. I had Chase Sapphire card that I never used and they closed it due to inactivity. I didn't wish to have it closed and its closure had no effect on my other Chase accounts or cards, but no matter how I tried, they would not budge on their decision.

I don't do anything screwy with Chase.

There are dozens of data points on here, DoC, FM and Reddit of Chase customers having their accounts reopened after closures.

In general it appears *more* likely that one will be able to have their accounts reopened if they are persistent than that they will remain closed. Just looking at all shared experiences in aggregate I mean.

thunderlounge Jun 7, 2019 7:36 pm

It may work, it may not. If not, your account is still closed. But on the off chance it does, then you get it reopened.

I can’t personally see them reopening an account that had been subject to any shenanigans, but over a misunderstanding then maybe a slight chance.

Happy Jun 7, 2019 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 31181446)
There are dozens of data points on here, DoC, FM and Reddit of Chase customers having their accounts reopened after closures.

In general it appears *more* likely that one will be able to have their accounts reopened if they are persistent than that they will remain closed. Just looking at all shared experiences in aggregate I mean.

It depends on WHY your accounts are being closed, not because the customers are persistent. You SHOULD know why your accounts are being shut down, as well as how the odds might be for reinstatement.

The "shared permanent address" part sounds intrigue and you have not answered repeated questions asked about this implication... just an example.

mia Jun 8, 2019 5:14 am

Moderator action

Question about an involuntary refund of the transaction used to earn a bonus has been moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ed-1st-yr.html