Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Consolidated]

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Consolidated]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 23, 18, 4:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: liw5215
Wiki Link
If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:
CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Feb 5, 19, 9:16 pm
  #2446  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Amex Plat
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post


There’s often more to the shutdown stories than get posted here, but of the items mentioned, the 18/24 is far, far more likely to have caused the shutdown than using 60% of the CL and then paying it in full. Banks want people using the CL, or else they’d reduce it.
Nothing says "I am a churner" more than being 18/24. I mean, that's a card more often than once very 6 weeks, for 2 years straight! Chase wouldn't even consider issuing a new card to such a person, so it isn't that much of a leap to think that they'd fire such a person as well.

If there was some sort of "non starter" attribute that would prevent you from starting to date someone, what would you do if someone you were already dating started doing the same? Chase basically said they won't date someone who is at more than 5/24. Now, physics met those requirements (barely) when Chase started the relationship, but has since gone to more than 3.5 times Chase's limit. Now, physics is asking why Chase dumped him. Personally, I'd ask how he expected to get away with being over 3.5 times what he knew was the limit when the relationship started.

Last edited by STS-134; Feb 5, 19 at 9:55 pm
STS-134 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:43 am
  #2447  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Nothing says "I am a churner" more than being 18/24. I mean, that's a card more often than once very 6 weeks, for 2 years straight! Chase wouldn't even consider issuing a new card to such a person, so it isn't that much of a leap to think that they'd fire such a person as well.

If there was some sort of "non starter" attribute that would prevent you from starting to date someone, what would you do if someone you were already dating started doing the same? Chase basically said they won't date someone who is at more than 5/24. Now, physics met those requirements (barely) when Chase started the relationship, but has since gone to more than 3.5 times Chase's limit. Now, physics is asking why Chase dumped him. Personally, I'd ask how he expected to get away with being over 3.5 times what he knew was the limit when the relationship started.
a) 5/24 is for new cards as they gave him a new card with 12:24
b) not too long ago it didn’t apply to all cards (see a)
c) if the relationship makes them money (as the energy cards are not with them) why would they care aka why would they run a credit report to check for new cards
d) it is a factor and would be the reason if the poster would have applied for a new chase card
e) here something is missing .... Chase thinking fraud or MS? Doesn’t sound 100% right either
blitzen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 6:41 am
  #2448  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HPN
Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Posts: 3,185
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
c) if the relationship makes them money (as the energy cards are not with them) why would they care aka why would they run a credit report to check for new cards
Banks absolutely do run credit reports on their cardholders on a regular basis. These are "soft pulls" so they don't affect your credit score. But banks that have extended you credit are very, very, very interested in whether you remain creditworthy. And they will cancel that credit instantly if they determine that your default risk exceeds the potential that you generate a profit for them.

"If the relationship makes them money" is exactly what banks care about - but they are looking at the future with their risk models, not just the past. So if a customer's creditworthiness decreases, the bank will react.
Happy likes this.
snic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:09 am
  #2449  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by snic View Post
Banks absolutely do run credit reports on their cardholders on a regular basis. These are "soft pulls" so they don't affect your credit score. But banks that have extended you credit are very, very, very interested in whether you remain creditworthy. And they will cancel that credit instantly if they determine that your default risk exceeds the potential that you generate a profit for them.

"If the relationship makes them money" is exactly what banks care about - but they are looking at the future with their risk models, not just the past. So if a customer's creditworthiness decreases, the bank will react.
But a soft pull is rather different from closing down an account. Just "new cards" won't do the trick (might trigger some algo to flag it for future review) as the poster might have cancelled other cards, reduced the available CL,..... which would reduce/offset the default risk.
Credit Line = costs for the bank (indirectly as default risk in $ gets higher and each bank has a cap on what they issue overall) > my guess is something triggered a review and they saw a credit line (over all accounts with all banks) that didn't "fit" the customer profile.
blitzen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 10:37 am
  #2450  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,864
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Nothing says "I am a churner" more than being 18/24.
This!
nexusCFX likes this.
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:08 pm
  #2451  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Nothing says "I am a churner" more than being 18/24..
Of course. I do not deny it.

Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Chase wouldn't even consider issuing a new card to such a person
That is absolutely incorrect (or at least it was until they expanded 5/24 last year). Proof: I was already at such a level when I got my last card from them earlier in 2018.

Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Now, physics is asking why Chase dumped him. Personally, I'd ask how he expected to get away with being over 3.5 times what he knew was the limit when the relationship started.
Actually, I'm not really asking why I was dumped. And I agree being LOL/24 is at least part of the reason. I, and many others, had been in a steady state of LOL/24 and a Chase card holder for a couple years. What I am (and I think others are) curious about is what made Chase suddenly look at and review my account after them being fine with the status quo for months. Hence the speculation: high UR balance, payments from multiple checking accts, high statement balance, bad luck,...? If chase simply ran a predictable algorithm whereby they did credit pulls and every one over N/24 got dumped, there would be a LOT more closed reports here.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
physics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:14 pm
  #2452  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,669
Have you ever been arrested or sued? Chase has been known to dump people for “reputational risk.”
joe_miami is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:14 pm
  #2453  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
It would be interesting to see what the letter states for the reasons for the closure.

Questions, How many card accounts have you opened since you opened your last Chase Account? Of the 18 accounts you opened in the last 24 months, how many were opened in the last 6 months to a year?
Already mostly answered. Read the post you were replying to.
physics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:15 pm
  #2454  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Amex Plat
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by physics View Post
What I am (and I think others are) curious about is what made Chase suddenly look at and review my account after them being fine with the status quo for months. Hence the speculation: high UR balance, payments from multiple checking accts, high statement balance, bad luck,...? If chase simply ran a predictable algorithm whereby they did credit pulls and every one over N/24 got dumped, there would be a LOT more closed reports here.
I'm curious: of the 18 CCs you opened in the last 24 months, how many did you continue to spend money on, and how many did you "abandon" as soon as the sign up bonus was paid? Now credit reports don't show all activity on these cards, but they DO show the current balance and high balance, and by doing soft pulls at different times of the month, Chase can infer whether you were actually spending anything on those cards or not. They probably also know what the sign up bonus is and what spending thresholds trigger them; if a card has a sign up bonus for spending $3K and they saw your balance hit $3K on the first month, then go to $0 and never budge again, they'd probably identify you as the type of customer who doesn't continue to spend money on cards after opening them. Actually, when did Chase do their soft pulls, and what was your balance on those 18 cards at the times they did? You should be able to pull your credit report and see Chase's soft pulls.

But the strange thing is, you said you hit 60% of your CL on your CSP for 6 months in a row and then paid it off. How much of that was bonus category (dining, travel, etc) spend and how much of that was non bonus spend? I'm assuming we're talking about at least a mid 5 figure or 6 figure CL here? It's not like you were entirely unprofitable if you were putting that much spend on your CSR...
STS-134 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:15 pm
  #2455  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Have you ever been arrested or sued? Chase has been known to dump people for “reputational risk.”
nope.
physics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:23 pm
  #2456  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
I'm curious: of the 18 CCs you opened in the last 24 months, how many did you continue to spend money on, and how many did you "abandon" as soon as the sign up bonus was paid? .
Of course, I do have my favorites for spending, and some are mostly idle.
physics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:23 pm
  #2457  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus (SAS) Diamond, BAEC Silver
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by FlugE View Post
I also found my Chase cards closed on Saturday. Not a good timing as I traveled to Thailand the day after. I have a checking and a savings account also which are not affected.
Tried with secure message but got a response that it's with the fraud dept and got a phone they wanted me to call during US office hours. Unfortunately that is something I can't do so I'll just wait until back in the us in a week to call them. I'll get back with more info when I have more to share.
I managed to call Chase from Thailand and the rep said that they were closed due to "too many accounts opened to recently" and "too short credit history". She would submit the case for possible reconsideration and that I would hear back from them in a week.

Fast forward to yesterday and I had two letters in the mail with same message and reasons above, one for each card. Also in the mail was my new CSP card which was closed before I received it Today I received a phone call from the credit dept informing me that they would not reinstate any of my closed accounts and that the main reason was that I opened 3 cards back in November (Chase Hyatt, BoA, Cap One). This might sound a lot, but the two latter ones were only opened since Chase denied my initial Hyatt app due to "too few accounts". At that point I had only 1 account (Amex) and those 2 accounts actually helped getting the Hyatt card with recon.

I am not a churner. I would really want a good travel card that is not an Amex but I have a short US credit history, 7 months and 4 opened accounts. The CSP would be the perfect card as I was planning to also upgrade to Sapphire banking which would yield an extra 60,000 UR points, only if I had a UR account...

The irony of it all is that when I go to my Chase online account (I have checking and savings) there is a banner saying that I am pre-approved for a CSP. Wonder if I should apply...
FlugE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:40 am
  #2458  
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 2,607
Originally Posted by FlugE View Post
I managed to call Chase from Thailand and the rep said that they were closed due to "too many accounts opened to recently" and "too short credit history". She would submit the case for possible reconsideration and that I would hear back from them in a week.

Fast forward to yesterday and I had two letters in the mail with same message and reasons above, one for each card. Also in the mail was my new CSP card which was closed before I received it Today I received a phone call from the credit dept informing me that they would not reinstate any of my closed accounts and that the main reason was that I opened 3 cards back in November (Chase Hyatt, BoA, Cap One). This might sound a lot, but the two latter ones were only opened since Chase denied my initial Hyatt app due to "too few accounts". At that point I had only 1 account (Amex) and those 2 accounts actually helped getting the Hyatt card with recon.

I am not a churner. I would really want a good travel card that is not an Amex but I have a short US credit history, 7 months and 4 opened accounts. The CSP would be the perfect card as I was planning to also upgrade to Sapphire banking which would yield an extra 60,000 UR points, only if I had a UR account...

The irony of it all is that when I go to my Chase online account (I have checking and savings) there is a banner saying that I am pre-approved for a CSP. Wonder if I should apply...
Sorry for your bad luck. Don't bother to apply for another Chase card, you'll simply be wasting time, energy and a hard inquiry on your credit report. I would venture to guess that you fit the algorithm of a person sinking into debt, possibly on the brink of bankruptcy, and desperate for credit. The banks call that profile a "bust out." In November you had a slim credit file.. only 7 months old (is that now, or in November? It's been 3 months since November...). Then you got a bunch of cards. Then, before your new credit lines were properly seasoned, you asked for even more credit. Lay low for another while... 6 months or so, and gently use and pay off your remaining cards to establish credit. Then revisit the miles and points world. Chase won't give you a card, though. Not soon and maybe not ever.
Often1 likes this.
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:51 pm
  #2459  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus (SAS) Diamond, BAEC Silver
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
...only 7 months old (is that now, or in November? It's been 3 months since November...
First credit account was opened in July 2018 via Amex global transfer, so 7 months now.

Yeah I'll stick with Amex for a while. Might even transfer my savings to them to strengthen that relation as they have treated me well.
FlugE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:12 am
  #2460  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,864
Originally Posted by FlugE View Post
I am not a churner.
Maybe not, but perception is reality to Chase. Sorry for your loss.
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread