Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:41 am
RNE

Originally Posted by orkan
ugh one of my friends just had her all of her Chase accounts shut down: personal checking, Freedom, and Amazon Prime. She pays on time in full, has good credit, and has no idea what MS is. Probably been with Chase for a couple of years now and was declined for the Southwest card which she only applied for a few months ago at the behest of her boyfriend. Rewards aren't her thing. She's a big spender so maybe got caught in their bust out net. Good chance of being reinstated?
Can you ask if there was anything at all that could have looked money laundering'ish with her checking account? Even perfectly innocent transactions can appear to be otherwise.

RNE, leery of Chase checking accounts.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Can you ask if there was anything at all that could have looked money laundering'ish with her checking account? Even perfectly innocent transactions can appear to be otherwise.

RNE, leery of Chase checking accounts.
Hm she said she doesn't keep much in her Chase account so not sure. Good thought though. I've been wondering how bad is it to make occasional (less than 10x/year) cash payments to Chase credit cards v. first depositing to checking. And whether banking relationship history matters at all. It's not uncommon to have cash from a wedding, birthdays, holidays, reimbursement, etc. I've been with Chase for 15 years but getting skittish about having 10 cards with them and mostly using for 5x spend.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
There are a maximum of 12 payments due for any given CC per year, so making 8 cash payments would be a red flag.
orkan likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:59 pm

Hm she said she doesn't keep much in her Chase account so not sure. Good thought though. I've been wondering how bad is it to make occasional (less than 10x/year) cash payments to Chase credit cards v. first depositing to checking. And whether banking relationship history matters at all. It's not uncommon to have cash from a wedding, birthdays, holidays, reimbursement, etc. I've been with Chase for 15 years but getting skittish about having 10 cards with them and mostly using for 5x spend.
I had a friend who did this (used cash to pay credit card bill - principle and interest); he wasn't responsible with credit cards (charge too much). Wife cut him off from using credit cards but allowed him to use cash. To some, using credit cards doesn't feel like real money.

Is there a number of cards that Chase will start to be concern about (i.e., review for possible shutdown)? Or would total credit limit be more concerning (2 cards with a total CL of $60K or 25 cards with $1K CL each)?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
RNE

...cash payments to Chase credit cards v. first depositing to checking.
Serious question: How exactly would you use cash to pay down a credit card? Would you go to, say, a Chase branch to do so?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Serious question: How exactly would you use cash to pay down a credit card? Would you go to, say, a Chase branch to do so?
Yes, that is how my friend did it. He was carrying $100 bills.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:06 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by robchow
Yes, that is how my friend did it. He was carrying $100 bills.
How many Benjamins at a time?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
How many Benjamins at a time?
I don't recall; it has been over a decade. Maybe double digits into the teens.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, if they're convenient to you. Sometimes I have more cash than I'd like to carry and know I have a bill due soon. I'll go to the branch to pay the statement balance in cash rather than first deposit to my Chase checking and paying online. After hearing that Citi allows cash payment to credit cards in the ATM, I tried at Chase. There's an option to pay the card but all it did was draw from my checking...

I have no idea what Chase thinks is risky. Years ago blogs were saying that there was a limit on the number of Chase cards one could have but I was way over it at the time. Haven't closed too many accounts since they make it easy enough to earn UR and I keep the cobranded hotel cards for free nights. They might be more conservative now. Three years ago, a phone rep said they had extended way too much credit relative to income on one of my mom's account but she's "using it responsibly" so they left it. Now it sounds like don't poke the bear.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:04 pm
RNE

Now it sounds like don't poke the bear.
Definitely don't poke the bear! Problem is, frequent, large cash payments are pokes. Of course that begs these questions: How frequent is too frequent? How large is too large?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:03 pm

I know it’s hard to predict these things, but if I’m reading correctly, these shutdowns normally happen in response to either a new Chase card application or suspicious spending? I’ve added 3 new Chase cards this year (Marriott, Southwest, and United), the last being back in June. I don’t foresee any Chase cards I’m gonna be itching to jump on till maybe next year at the absolute earliest. However, I’m looking at a Citi Premiere, and I don’t want that application to jeapordize things with Chase. I assume as long as I don’t do anything suspicious in my spending on Chase cards, they won’t have reason to look at my credit (which is fine, almost 800) or even know about the Citi and it shouldn’t jeopardize things? I'm currently at 4/24 based on Chase's credit review, but that will drop down by one in October. As far as other Chase cards, I have a Chase Amazon since 2011, a Freedom since 2010, and a Sapphire Preferred since November 2012 and checking and savings with them since they took over WAMU. However, I'm not what I would call a HVC.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Are there any DPs of people being shut down solely for churning? Not for having a lot of current Chase cards, or a lot of total available credit with Chase or other banks, or high debt to available credit ratio, or manufactured spend, but just for a history of churning a bunch of cards every 24 months, and for having many recent applications with various issuers (10/24)?

I'd like to apply for the new World of Hyatt card, which I understand is not subject to 5/24, but I was approved for Chase IHG card in April and Chase BA card in June and am worried that being 10/24 could get me flagged and reviewed and deemed unprofitable and shut down.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Are there any DPs of people being shut down solely for churning? Not for having a lot of current Chase cards, or a lot of total available credit with Chase or other banks, or high debt to available credit ratio, or manufactured spend, but just for a history of churning a bunch of cards every 24 months, and for having many recent applications with various issuers (10/24)?

I'd like to apply for the new World of Hyatt card, which I understand is not subject to 5/24, but I was approved for Chase IHG card in April and Chase BA card in June and am worried that being 10/24 could get me flagged and reviewed and deemed unprofitable and shut down.
yes they shut me down for too many new accounts (after they approved two themselves ). They later reversed the decision but too many inquiries and new cards got me shut down
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah

The most common shut down reason I've seen is due to churning--being well over 5/24 then applying for Chase cards that are not subject to 5/24. Accounts get reviewed, even a week or 2 after approval, and then are closed. Your 10/24 count is borderline but there doesn't seem to be a fixed number that triggers it. As you read through this thread, you'll see examples this as well as many who were reinstated after further review.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:54 am

Got a scare last night. fraud department called about my recent (giftcards.com) purchases on my newish Ink card. I am at 1/24 CSP.

The ink card is almost a month old and I've probably MS'ed 7k on it. If I would have known about these shutdowns beforehand I would not have done so much so quickly. I am obviously going to stop playing any games for the time being and see if I can get lucky and not get shut down. I've got a few old cards with chase: ink plus, freedom, hyatt & about 700k UR balance. 99% of my spend over the years is legit. I only recently started doing the MO thing.

IF you had to guess, how fast will I know if I am going to be shut down or not? they called yesterday evening. Should I know very soon or will it be a slow review process before I find out if I am in trouble or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.