Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by coltonatx
She responded by saying the issue wasn't my personal credit line; the issue is I have 2 business cards with a combined line of credit over $80k. Do you guys have any advice?
I think the rep's explanation explains the delay in your approval. You're a $100k exposure to them. Accordingly, it seems reasonable that Chase would give you a second look before approving another card. Anyway, congrats on the approval. ^
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
$80k in credit line for a business should not be an issue, but I opened these cards years ago before my business was officially incorporated; therefore, I am the underwriter and I am responsible for whatever happens to these cards.

Incorporating a business doesn't change this. Read the terms of the application for a small business card from any of the major issuers, and you will see similar language. The individual, not the business, is the applicant; the individual is fully responsible for the debt; application approval is primarily based on the individual's credit file.

Business cards (from most issuers) do not appear on your credit report (unless you default), but each issuer still knows about their own business cards.

To get a card based primarily on the company's creditworthiness you need to apply for a "Corporate" card, and those often do not have rewards or new account bonuses.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mia
Incorporating a business doesn't change this. Read the terms of the application for a small business card from any of the major issuers, and you will see similar language. The individual, not the business, is the applicant; the individual is fully responsible for the debt; application approval is primarily based on the individual's credit file.

Business cards (from most issuers) do not appear on your credit report (unless you default), but each issuer still knows about their own business cards.

To get a card based primarily on the company's creditworthiness you need to apply for a "Corporate" card, and those often do not have rewards or new account bonuses.
This is very interesting.

At this point, I am wondering if there is anything I should do to minimize the risk of a shutdown.

80% of my business expenses are via Chase, and I'd hate to lose that.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:19 am
RNE

If I were you, i'd sit tight, not cause Chase to look at me anymore, and enjoy what must be a boatload of URs. ^
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
This is very interesting.

At this point, I am wondering if there is anything I should do to minimize the risk of a shutdown.

How much do you have in personal credit lines with Chase after the Hyatt approval? If you're not going to be using the full amount and you're nervous about a shutdown, consider reducing the personal credit limits down to $5,000 each or something like that.

If you have a long history of big biz card charges and prompt repayment, I don't believe you have anything to worry about.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
How much do you have in personal credit lines with Chase after the Hyatt approval? If you're not going to be using the full amount and you're nervous about a shutdown, consider reducing the personal credit limits down to $5,000 each or something like that.

If you have a long history of big biz card charges and prompt repayment, I don't believe you have anything to worry about.
My personal credit lines stayed the same ($24k IIRC). She just transferred $5k from my British Airways credit card. So, my Hyatt credit line is just $5k, which is sufficient to cover my hotel stays.

I don't usually carry a balance in either business credit card, and when I do, I pay it off immediately. One of my business cards was open in 2014, while the other was open in late 2015.

I never cycle my CL on any card either. I wish I knew small biz cards counted against you; I would have reduced the line of credit on those cards.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:57 pm

Based on everything you've shared so far, I would put your shutdown odds at right around 0%. Unless there's something you're not telling us, you have nothing to worry about.

Note that if you ever want to apply for another Chase cc, you will almost certainly need to reduce some of your credit limits first. I think they've made that pretty clear to you.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:41 am

Any data-points that show closing a Chase card increases chance of shutdown? I have two Chase cards I was looking to close shortly. I havent opened many cards within the past year. Just the 2 Chase cards I'm looking at closing (1 business, 1 personal), 2 AMEX business cards, a Citi Business Card and a BoA personal card.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by BSpatula31
Any data-points that show closing a Chase card increases chance of shutdown? I have two Chase cards I was looking to close shortly. I havent opened many cards within the past year. Just the 2 Chase cards I'm looking at closing (1 business, 1 personal), 2 AMEX business cards, a Citi Business Card and a BoA personal card.
Pretty sure it all comes down to if/when you come back to Chase for new accounts. Have not heard of a closing in itself causing anything.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My personal credit lines stayed the same ($24k IIRC). She just transferred $5k from my British Airways credit card. So, my Hyatt credit line is just $5k, which is sufficient to cover my hotel stays.

I don't usually carry a balance in either business credit card, and when I do, I pay it off immediately. One of my business cards was open in 2014, while the other was open in late 2015.

I never cycle my CL on any card either. I wish I knew small biz cards counted against you; I would have reduced the line of credit on those cards.
I am sure with mia's explanation, you now know a "small business card" is different from a "corporate card". The business cards you applied, are all "small business cards" - read the fine print, the owner of the business is fully responsible for any unpaid balance on said business card, incorporated or not, makes zero difference.

Exposure is just that, Chase views the total credit line, both the business and the personal cards together, is the exposure they have, from you. As early as in 2013 or 2014 Chase had told me that when a personal card had pending status, when I called in the rep told me it was due to your business cards exposure. In Chase eyes, it is the total they look at and rightfully so.

If you do not need $80K to run your business, by all means, LOWER them, to a level that it would comfortably cover your regular business spending needs x 2. There is NO REASON to carry outsize credit line. The play book of hoarding credit line to negotiate a card approval has been outdated for at least 5 years by now.
These days with banks look at ALL your accounts with ALL issuers, actively manage one's credit lines with each issuer has become a necessity, if you want a smooth sailing with any issuer, even if you dont plan on getting any new cards - because issuers these days do frequent account reviews - they too, actively monitor their exposures. So you act accordingly.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:59 pm

ugh one of my friends just had her all of her Chase accounts shut down: personal checking, Freedom, and Amazon Prime. She pays on time in full, has good credit, and has no idea what MS is. Probably been with Chase for a couple of years now and was declined for the Southwest card which she only applied for a few months ago at the behest of her boyfriend. Rewards aren't her thing. She's a big spender so maybe got caught in their bust out net. Good chance of being reinstated?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by orkan
ugh one of my friends just had her all of her Chase accounts shut down: personal checking, Freedom, and Amazon Prime. She pays on time in full, has good credit, and has no idea what MS is. Probably been with Chase for a couple of years now and was declined for the Southwest card which she only applied for a few months ago at the behest of her boyfriend. Rewards aren't her thing. She's a big spender so maybe got caught in their bust out net. Good chance of being reinstated?
Not sure I understand the point of this post. Why are you sharing this with us.....why is she sharing it with you.....doesn't really make any sense to me
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Not sure I understand the point of this post. Why are you sharing this with us.....why is she sharing it with you.....doesn't really make any sense to me
Sharing that it's not just the usual suspects, like me/us. Obviously seeking advice (see question). Since there has been reports that even folks who MS have been able to get their accounts reinstated, should she not freak out? Contrary to anecdotes of Chase allowing up to 30 days to move points, it's not the case with her accounts.
muji likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:26 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

If I run quite some amount of gift card purchases, like $50,000/year with one of the Chase CCs, would the CC be likely shutdown? I have a total of 8 Chase CCs with a long history with Chase. I had about $5,500 total GC purchases over 2 months period and things were fine.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by RedSun
If I run quite some amount of gift card purchases, like $50,000/year with one of the Chase CCs, would the CC be likely shutdown? I have a total of 8 Chase CCs with a long history with Chase. I had about $5,500 total GC purchases over 2 months period and things were fine.
Depends how much you value your chase cards. I personally wouldn’t, but my job requires me to put a large amount of dining (client dinners and drinks) and travel expenses on my CSR, so I don’t want to lose that easy source of UR points.

The most oat gift cards I’ve ever put on is 1k for my doormen using chase freedom + Apple Pay at a drug store in q1 and even that made me feel uneasy. It’s all about your risk tolerance and how important chase is to you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.