Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atomicfront
Lack of mortgage or car loan. 3 year history. Utlization going up. Might even be some cycling. New accounts Smells like a break-out to Chase.
No, it doesn't. The bust-out thing is massively over-cited on these boards. People with 15+ years of credit history rarely bust out.

Originally Posted by mafiaa
it was for popcorn at a movie theatre $9
Fraudulent charge? What was the issue? How many other chargebacks had you filed?

Banks are starting to crack down on people they believe are filing frivolous chargebacks.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the important aspects on the WaMu account are: who closed it, and what type of account was it.

Also, just because it happened in 2003 doesn't mean Chase had access to that info in 2013. These companies are buying and selling data sets all the time. Maybe when the FDIC was in charge, they didn't release all of the records to Chase. Or maybe Chase had the info, but failed to index it properly. Or maybe Chase tightened up their rules, and re-evaluated this customer's past history in light of the chargeback.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I honestly think Chase just tried to close the card because after their annual review or whatever, they wanted to axe some unprofitable customers.
It does not matter. As soon as your account was involuntarily closed account after the chargeback, it is a potential ECOA violation.

If needed, I can elaborate how exactly this is an ECOA violation.

Originally Posted by blitzen
you lost me here. Closed in 2003 and bank ceased to exist 2008 > it is still in the credit record as closed by issuer what happened 2004+ is unrelated to the closed account
Per OP, that was what claimed by Chase.

Originally Posted by RNE
Chase was not necessarily aware of the closure at account opening. Might not have spotted it before now. Still, I'm with those who think that 2003 closure is an excuse at best. Something else triggered the shutdown, methinks. Also, is OP serious about the popcorn quip? Or pulling our legs?
Whatever triggered the current closure is the key. However, based on OP, the chargeback is what triggered the closure, which is exactly what the ECOA prohibits.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
Whatever triggered the current closure is the key. However, based on OP, the chargeback is what triggered the closure, which is exactly what the ECOA prohibits.
If the chargeback was frivolous, the ECOA is irrelevant.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by joe_miami
If the chargeback was frivolous, the ECOA is irrelevant.
Absolutely correct. Then it is a question only OP can answer.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, HIlton
The chargeback was not frivolous. Why would I do a chargeback of $9 if it was frivolous. C'mon now. They don't like doing chargebacks now it seems. I dont want to sue Chase because I have the Hyatt now. If they decide to close the Chase later, then maybe garykung can be my lawyer.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:45 am
RNE

So far, our shutdown suspects are two:
  1. A 15-year-old account closure.
  2. A paltry $9 charge back.
As a mystery writer, methinks we need more suspects because those two aren't compelling. Therefore, I hereby beseech the OP to think hard and suggest more suspects.

Hercule RNE
coffee18 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

The chargeback was not frivolous. Why would I do a chargeback of $9 if it was frivolous. C'mon now. They don't like doing chargebacks now it seems. I dont want to sue Chase because I have the Hyatt now. If they decide to close the Chase later, then maybe garykung can be my lawyer.
How many other chargebacks had you done on the card?

I don't understand how movie popcorn would be a chargeback candidate. What was the issue? The manager wouldn't handle it?

There's widespread chargeback fraud right now because people have figured out that many CC issuers don't even investigate chargebacks under $10 or $20; they just credit the account and move on. The banks caught on and are now fighting back.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many other chargebacks had you done on the card?

I don't understand how movie popcorn would be a chargeback candidate. What was the issue? The manager wouldn't handle it?

There's widespread chargeback fraud right now because people have figured out that many CC issuers don't even investigate chargebacks under $10 or $20; they just credit the account and move on. The banks caught on and are now fighting back.
It is not fair to start judging the OP on the dispute charge just because the amount is small.

It could be a duplicate charge. I would dispute it if it is a duplicate charge. One time at MIA parking when we went down for Global Entry, somehow our CC was charged twice for $6 parking. We disputed the duplicate charge. I dont see why if a charge is wrong that one should just eat it if the amount is small.

You go to the DCC thread in the Credit Cards forum, it is encouraged to dispute the DCC amount no matter how small it is, just on the basis of Principle. Both Visa and MC actually have formal charge back codes for DCC dispute.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
It is not fair to start judging the OP on the dispute charge just because the amount is small.

It could be a duplicate charge. I would dispute it if it is a duplicate charge. One time at MIA parking when we went down for Global Entry, somehow our CC was charged twice for $6 parking. We disputed the duplicate charge. I dont see why if a charge is wrong that one should just eat it if the amount is small.
Nobody's "judging," and chargebacks are supposed to be a last resort, not a first resort.
RNE likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:41 pm

It does actually.

Taking OP's wording as the whole, the account closure was an action during the WaMu era, but not Chase. Chase simply had WaMu's customer record as WaMu's buyer through FDIC (Note - Chase did not take over WaMu). So any actions taken by WaMu was a WaMu issue, rather than Chase.
Chase took over Washington Mutuals accounts when they were purchased, I had a WAMU CD that was converted to a Chase account.

When you logged into the the WAMU website you were redirected to Chase.

https://www.thebalance.com/wamu-com-...amu-com-315158

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one claims the chargeback was not frivolous. Instead, it is a statutory requirement under ECOA:

"(3) because the applicant has in good faith exercised any right under this chapter."

If you filed a legitimate chargeback, then your account was closed afterward, then the ECOA protection will kick in. Otherwise, it is not an issue.

BTW - IANAL. I am simply someone who know too much about law, especially Consumer Credit Protection Act.

Originally Posted by flyer4512
These last few posts are a bit confusing but Chase bought Washington Mutual from the FDIC in 2008. I had a CD I opened at Wash Mu that was closed at Chase

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nancial-advice
See here for detail:

https://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/wamu.html

WaMu went into receivership first. Then most of the company was sold to Chase by FDIC. Per FDIC's press release, "JPMorgan Chase acquired the assets, assumed the qualified financial contracts and made a payment of $1.9 billion. Claims by equity, subordinated and senior debt holders were not acquired."
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:15 pm

See here for detail:

https://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/wamu.html

WaMu went into receivership first. Then most of the company was sold to Chase by FDIC. Per FDIC's press release, "JPMorgan Chase acquired the assets, assumed the qualified financial contracts and made a payment of $1.9 billion. Claims by equity, subordinated and senior debt holders were not acquired."

I had an account at WAMU so I know exactly what happened, my WAMU CD was converted to Chase and closed by me in a Chase branch ( that was previously a WAMU branch ) about 4 years later.

I was denied the new checking bonus last year because they said I was a previous Chase banking customer even though I have never opened a bank account at Chase

https://www.thebalance.com/wamu-com-...amu-com-315158

Washington Mutual Bank, at one time the largest savings and loan in the U.S., failed in 2008 during the financial crisis. Chase Bank took over the accounts held at Washington Mutual, and the WaMu.com website is redirected to Chase.com. Former Washington Mutual customers must now conduct bank transactions with Chase.

As a result of the failure, Washington Mutual’s assets were sold to Chase Bank. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) helped to transfer deposits and loans to Chase so that customer’s lives were more or less undisturbed (as with most bank failures in the modern U.S.).

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 5, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody's "judging," and chargebacks are supposed to be a last resort, not a first resort.
The way your post is written, questioning the OP why he would dispute a $9 charge, gives the impression that you think the OP's dispute is not legit.

It goes without saying that one should contact the merchant first to resolve the issue.

However there are scenarios that there is no way to resolve it with a merchant.

Once SNCF at Cote Azure staged a strike after 1pm but it still sold me a R/T train ticket in the morning between Cannes and Monte Carlo. We were almost stranded in Monaco and in danger of missing our ship. There was no way to get SNCF refunded the unused half portion of the train ticket because of the strike. I disputed the transaction with Citicard for 50% of the ticket price. Citi's rep handled that over the phone, no more question after I explained the situation.

I also have a Holiday Inn in Italy charged me 5 months after a stay using the IHG card's annual free night cert because the hotel did not know how to handle it. Each time I contacted the hotel over the phone, the other end insisted no English speaking staff on duty and on the last couple calls they simply hang up. IHG guest relationship insisted it could not help. So I disputed this with Chase. 10 days later the hotel issued a credit. Eventually Chase sent a postcard to inform me since the merchant has refunded, Chase would remove the credit it issued. Case closed.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
The way your post is written, questioning the OP why he would dispute a $9 charge, gives the impression that you think the OP's dispute is not legit.
It's hard to imagine movie-theater popcorn getting to the point of a chargeback.

My guess is that this wasn't the first time the OP had initiated a chargeback, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.