Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Consolidated]

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Consolidated]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 23, 18, 4:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: liw5215
Wiki Link
If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:
CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Aug 30, 17, 8:09 am
  #1606  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Posts: 673
Originally Posted by angel88 View Post
That's interesting. Have you seen other cases like so? But this 10 day review actually is separate from lending. They are not looking to decrease credit lines rather looking to see if the credit lines are being used "responsibly" as I was told.

Also, can anyone chime in on whether or not this type of review can provide a good outcome or are mostly frozen and then shutdown?
They are probably looking to see if your spending patterns are consistent for your income. I don't know what your income is but I'd imagine someone who routinely spends 5 figures a month but only has a $100,000 yearly income is going to look suspicious. Your 50% ~ 90% utilization is probably is also a red flag.
Critterlynn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:19 pm
  #1607  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,875
Originally Posted by angel88 View Post
My spending each month is a good 5 figure amount.
A 5-figure monthly spend is pretty far over on the bell curve. If you don't have a commensurate income, that disparity could garner Chase's scrutiny, nothing to do with what you're buying or on which continent. Without prying, will you share what percentage of your monthly income is your monthly CC spend?
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:27 pm
  #1608  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
A 5-figure monthly spend is pretty far over on the bell curve. If you don't have a commensurate income, that disparity could garner Chase's scrutiny, nothing to do with what you're buying or on which continent. Without prying, will you share what percentage of your monthly income is your monthly CC spend?
only about 50% on average... shouldn't be an issue... anyways, let me reiterate, when i called, they said this isn't about the credit limit or a look into reducing credit limit because that is done by the Lending department ... and also, my credit line increase wasn't an automatic increase, Lending had to manually analyze and do it. they said this is the security team ...
angel88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:06 am
  #1609  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,952
Originally Posted by Critterlynn View Post
They are probably looking to see if your spending patterns are consistent for your income. I don't know what your income is but I'd imagine someone who routinely spends 5 figures a month but only has a $100,000 yearly income is going to look suspicious. Your 50% ~ 90% utilization is probably is also a red flag.
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
A 5-figure monthly spend is pretty far over on the bell curve. If you don't have a commensurate income, that disparity could garner Chase's scrutiny, nothing to do with what you're buying or on which continent. Without prying, will you share what percentage of your monthly income is your monthly CC spend?
Obviously there is a lot more to the story. A 5 figures monthly spent on luxurious stores certainly would raise flag should someone MANUALLY look into the account and that might be caused by the request of credit limit.


Originally Posted by angel88 View Post
only about 50% on average... shouldn't be an issue... anyways, let me reiterate, when i called, they said this isn't about the credit limit or a look into reducing credit limit because that is done by the Lending department ... and also, my credit line increase wasn't an automatic increase, Lending had to manually analyze and do it. they said this is the security team ...
50% of income spent at luxurious brands each month would raise flag of any security reviewer. They want to determine if the card is used as ordinary spend or something completely not intended, that is the normal consumer spend.

Nothing much you can do here but wait for the outcome of such review if even the exec office or lending dept could not unlock your account.

FWIW FinGen reporting is required by law for people who have over $10k bal in any overseas bank account in any given time. Banks also are required to report such. Your charge pattern obviously caused more scrutiny once the secondary review is triggered when a credit line increase is granted. If your spending is not kosher the last thing you want is to have human eyes laid on your account. Charge big and pay off on time do NOT always mean you are a wanted customer especially if it may mean more compliance work required by the govt, the banks would dump you like a hot potato.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 11:40 am
  #1610  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Actually they just released my account today and it is now able to be used again. And actually they just increased my credit line more after the release. I don't have any overseas bank account. My spending is 100% kosher and although I spend a lot shopping, that is only proportional to my income, not the entire household income. I'm also a chase private client customer and we don't have any debt including mortgage and auto loans.

Anyways, false alarm! They called me and told me that it was just a random periodic review and all is well



Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Obviously there is a lot more to the story. A 5 figures monthly spent on luxurious stores certainly would raise flag should someone MANUALLY look into the account and that might be caused by the request of credit limit.




50% of income spent at luxurious brands each month would raise flag of any security reviewer. They want to determine if the card is used as ordinary spend or something completely not intended, that is the normal consumer spend.

Nothing much you can do here but wait for the outcome of such review if even the exec office or lending dept could not unlock your account.

FWIW FinGen reporting is required by law for people who have over $10k bal in any overseas bank account in any given time. Banks also are required to report such. Your charge pattern obviously caused more scrutiny once the secondary review is triggered when a credit line increase is granted. If your spending is not kosher the last thing you want is to have human eyes laid on your account. Charge big and pay off on time do NOT always mean you are a wanted customer especially if it may mean more compliance work required by the govt, the banks would dump you like a hot potato.
jjmiller69 likes this.
angel88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 12:02 pm
  #1611  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,166
Originally Posted by angel88 View Post
Anyways, false alarm! They called me and told me that it was just a random periodic review and all is well
There's no way this was random, but I'm glad you're in the clear now.
Superorb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 1:39 pm
  #1612  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,875
Originally Posted by angel88 View Post
Actually they just released my account today and it is now able to be used again. Anyways, false alarm! They called me and told me that it was just a random periodic review and all is well
What Chase told you is spurious. No bank suspends a customer's cards for a "random periodic review." A review can take place while cards are active. The sole reason for suspension is suspicion of aberrant activity, to lessen any damage. I'm not saying you did anything wrong. But this was not random periodic (not quite sure what that oxymoron means).

RNE, who, when traveling, always carries credit cards issued by at least three banks (Chase, Citi and Barclay, typically)—just in case something (real or false) triggers a suspension of cards with a particular bank—and also making sure at least one card is a MasterCard and another a Visa, as well as having a bank ATM card (as your children wisely did).
jjmiller69 likes this.
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 17, 3:51 am
  #1613  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,952
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
There's no way this was random, but I'm glad you're in the clear now.
Exactly. Banks don't do random reviews by dedicated teams.

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
What Chase told you is spurious. No bank suspends a customer's cards for a "random periodic review." A review can take place while cards are active. The sole reason for suspension is suspicion of aberrant activity, to lessen any damage. I'm not saying you did anything wrong. But this was not random periodic (not quite sure what that oxymoron means).

RNE, who, when traveling, always carries credit cards issued by at least three banks (Chase, Citi and Barclay, typically)—just in case something (real or false) triggers a suspension of cards with a particular bank—and also making sure at least one card is a MasterCard and another a Visa, as well as having a bank ATM card (as your children wisely did).
Totally agree that there is no way it is a random review. Risk assessment software flagged the accounts first then human team manually review accounts.

Chase will never admit the account is being flagged due to whatever reason. If they decide to cut the relationship they would just do so and cite the clause that either the bank and the cardholder can cease the relationship at any given time without notice.
If Chase decide it can tolerate the risk, at least for the time being, it would reinstate the account and just gives a bogus excuse.

What is astonishing to this incomplete story is, how someone spends a good 5 figures each month would rely on a single credit card / single bank. Totally don't make any sense. I maintain there is a lot more to the story. If indeed OP comes out fine as posted as we could take the face value on it, RNE gave a very sound advice to have multiple cards issued by multiple banks.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 17, 6:58 am
  #1614  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PHL
Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Posts: 1,280
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
A 5-figure monthly spend is pretty far over on the bell curve. If you don't have a commensurate income, that disparity could garner Chase's scrutiny, nothing to do with what you're buying or on which continent. Without prying, will you share what percentage of your monthly income is your monthly CC spend?
There are lots of people that are able to charge business travel on personal cards, which could be thousands each month in addition to their regular personal spend. In this case, if you were to look at charge amounts relative to income, things would appear out of whack. However, it doesn't appear that credit card companies and closing accounts like these left and right.
LPCJr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 17, 8:17 am
  #1615  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,875
Originally Posted by LPCJr View Post
There are lots of people that are able to charge business travel on personal cards, which could be thousands each month in addition to their regular personal spend. In this case, if you were to look at charge amounts relative to income, things would appear out of whack.
Duh. That's my point. It would "appear" to Chase to be out of whack, even though it's not. In this case, however, the OP has way more income than spend, so that's not the reason Chase took action. It's something else. Chase won't suspend accounts without (what they think is) a good reason.
jjmiller69 likes this.
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 17, 10:10 am
  #1616  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Posts: 4,742
Amex did a review in me once, many years ago.

We had the CPA send in the first page,

Everything was fine, and they even gave me a higher credit limit.
satman40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 17, 7:19 am
  #1617  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,952
Originally Posted by LPCJr View Post
There are lots of people that are able to charge business travel on personal cards, which could be thousands each month in addition to their regular personal spend. In this case, if you were to look at charge amounts relative to income, things would appear out of whack. However, it doesn't appear that credit card companies and closing accounts like these left and right.
The poster's spend is at luxurious high end fashion brands if you read the initial post should it not been edited. I doubt there is any business involves employees spending "a good 5 figures" at high end fashion items Every Month.

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Duh. That's my point. It would "appear" to Chase to be out of whack, even though it's not. In this case, however, the OP has way more income than spend, so that's not the reason Chase took action. It's something else. Chase won't suspend accounts without (what they think is) a good reason.
Agree. We will never know the true story including the alleged "come out cleared" part of it.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 17, 10:47 am
  #1618  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW
Programs: AA EXP, MB LTTE/A HH DIA, DL
Posts: 1,049
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
We will never know the true story including the alleged "come out cleared" part of it.
I always enjoy reading your posts in this thread.
txpenny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 17, 2:44 pm
  #1619  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Being new here, I believe I have never been but respectful throughout my posts here. I was simply concerned about having my card closed without merit or not knowing what had happened. I debated about posting a charge I made yesterday at Neiman Marcus from the card that was frozen but at the end of the day, I don't really care whether anyone here thinks my card was "allegedly" cleared or not. It is what it is and I am happy with the outcome but still very confused as to why be so pessimist to a new member posting? Not everyone are trolls despite the abundant existent of such posters.

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
The poster's spend is at luxurious high end fashion brands if you read the initial post should it not been edited. I doubt there is any business involves employees spending "a good 5 figures" at high end fashion items Every Month.



Agree. We will never know the true story including the alleged "come out cleared" part of it.
Diplomatico likes this.
angel88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 17, 2:53 pm
  #1620  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,807
Originally Posted by angel88 View Post
Being new here, I believe I have never been but respectful throughout my posts here. I was simply concerned about having my card closed without merit or not knowing what had happened. I debated about posting a charge I made yesterday at Neiman Marcus from the card that was frozen but at the end of the day, I don't really care whether anyone here thinks my card was "allegedly" cleared or not. It is what it is and I am happy with the outcome but still very confused as to why be so pessimist to a new member posting? Not everyone are trolls despite the abundant existent of such posters.
There are a couple of "know-it-all" blowhards on here that you just learn to ignore. I'm glad it all worked out for you.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread